Up From the Streets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up From the Streets

I finally got around to watching this last night. It certainly wasn't bad, but I found myself a little unsatisfied. Maybe if you know a bit about N.O. music, no 90 minute documentary aimed at a general audience is going to check all the boxes for you.

Props for spending some time on Cosimo Matassa and some other lesser known but important figures. Yet there was only a glancing reference to Dave Bartholomew.

Most of all, it seemed odd for a documentary that focused so much on the through line that runs from the traditional brass bands and street rhythms up to current performers would slight Shorty, Shamarr Allen, Glen David Andrews. Shorty in particular seems like someone you would have to include in a piece like this one. He was never mentioned.

I think N.O. music, on its own, needs the full Ken Burns ten part 3 hours per episode treatment. Until then, Always for Pleasure is my top choice on the subject.

Anyone else seen it? Reactions?

Pretty much agree, It was a primer. Now, the directory Michael Murphy also did "Make It Funky" which is centered around a concert during JF. Much the same info -- even uses the same interviews in both -- but the live music makes it a lot better. Plus a narrower focus. Don't know "Always for Pleasure." Will have to check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by resmp View Post
      I finally got around to watching this last night. It certainly wasn't bad, but I found myself a little unsatisfied. Maybe if you know a bit about N.O. music, no 90 minute documentary aimed at a general audience is going to check all the boxes for you.

Props for spending some time on Cosimo Matassa and some other lesser known but important figures. Yet there was only a glancing reference to Dave Bartholomew.

Most of all, it seemed odd for a documentary that focused so much on the through line that runs from the traditional brass bands and street rhythms up to current performers would slight Shorty, Shamarr Allen, Glen David Andrews. Shorty in particular seems like someone you would have to include in a piece like this one. He was never mentioned.

I think N.O. music, on its own, needs the full Ken Burns ten part 3 hours per episode treatment. Until then, Always for Pleasure is my top choice on the subject.

Anyone else seen it? Reactions?
      As I said before it tried to cover way too much ground, used subpar footage and performances by some key artists and although I'm a fan there was too much Terence Blanchard who really does not have much to do with the local music scene. And yes, no Kermit, Rebirth or Shorty which is absurd. Overall I found it very frustrating.

Comment

We loved Always For Pleasure. Made us very nostalgic for the city we missed traveling to this year.

Comment

Working...
        X