90s NOLA Music Flyers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90s NOLA Music Flyers

If you were around here back in the 90s and even if you were not you may get a kick out of some music flyers from back then that I copied. Sad that some of those great clubs are not around anymore such as Donna's, Funky Butt, Shim Sham Club, Mermaid Lounge, Matador, Joe's Cozy Corner, Cafe Brazil.......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/188172...57714561545317

Very cool, thanks for sharing that!

Comment

Ah, those were the days when one could grasp the vitality (or lack there of) a local music scene by the density of music flyers to be seen. And of course public space is always disputed. I remember the N.O. City Council (probably lead by Uptown school marm/Republican Peggy Wilson) periodically going to war with telephone pole poster bandits with ordinances threatening legal action against the venues mentioned on the flyers. In this era clubs (before music was subsumed by the tourist/real estate industry) were under periodic attack and were actually shut down across the board a few times. There is a book of N.O. punk flyers that came out about 10 years ago--a rare tangible reminder of one of the many underground scenes that have come and then vaporized across the years.

https://www.offbeat.com/articles/pun...-a-phone-pole/

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
        If you were around here back in the 90s and even if you were not you may get a kick out of some music flyers from back then that I copied. Sad that some of those great clubs are not around anymore such as Donna's, Funky Butt, Shim Sham Club, Mermaid Lounge, Matador, Joe's Cozy Corner, Cafe Brazil.......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/188172...57714561545317
        cool enjoyed checking them out.

makes me realize that i should get off my arse and once again sort out some the stack of old stick on gig passes that i have kept over the years.

the last time i did so i ended up putting a pack of the some of the better known ones together and put it in the on line raffle,

i have no idea who one them though

Comment

ahhh... memories! My old rock'n'roll band, Gringo Loco, used to make a team effort of hanging fliers on poles by bicycling through our downtown grid: hang 15 fliers, get a beer, hang 10 more fliers, get another beer. It was a different time - pre desktop computers, so all of our posters were custom-made for each show. I used delineator letter-guides, cut'n'paste graphics, architectural graphic tapes (lines, barbed-wire, you name it). Honestly, a lot of them probably looked like ransom notes, but we tried to keep'em humorous and enticing... the "get" ratio was probably about the same as hyping your band's gig on Facebook, but it was tangible way to advertise. I'm about 6' 2", so if I stood on my bicycle's pedals, I could easily get the flier up in the 8-foot range and away from the inches of ignored posters on the lower part of the pole. This item really turned around "production".

Comment

Enjoyed seeing the old clubs. One Fest back in the 90s I must have seen Henry Butler 5 different times, including late night at Funky Butt where he did a hands-on beauty contest (female contestants only).

Comment

Working...
            X