'New' Stones tune with Jimmy Page !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'New' Stones tune with Jimmy Page !!

Actually recorded back in 1974. Sounds good to these ears !!
    Last edited by Marignygregg; 2 weeks ago. Reason: Removed link to song as the actual music seems to get in the way of hearsay and gossip.

And to these. I'm glad Page got a chance to play with a good band. Yeah, I said it! Bring it on! (I know the Zep guys were good players. They just never appealed to me as a band. Took themselves to seriously for my tastes, and there was all that Spinal Tappy forests of Mordor stuff. I like "Boogie With Stu" and a few others, but if I want to head bang, I'll take AC/DC).

Comment

Yeah...that John Paul Jones guy and Bonham weren't any good. And that Plant guy could barely hold a note. C'mon Kempers. Your better than that....and don't rehash that you think they are crappy humans. Has nothing to do with musicianship. Or that they stole from African American artists. The Stones were good at that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
        Yeah...that John Paul Jones guy and Bonham weren't any good. And that Plant guy could barely hold a note. C'mon Kempers. Your better than that....and don't rehash that you think they are crappy humans. Has nothing to do with musicianship. Or that they stole from African American artists. The Stones were good at that as well.
        Hey, Greg, you did read my parenthetical comments, didn't you? All the players in Zep were great players, and they are (for better or worse) one of the most influential bands in the history of rock. Plants a great singer, but I don't like the way he sings in Zep. Too screechy for my tastes. As a Kinks fanatic, I don't like that Page smirked at young Dave Davies leads when they were recorded and then took credit for them later. He has since said he didn't play them. As far as my "glad he got to play with a good band" comment. It was a joke. "Does anybody remember laughter?"

Comment

Your better than that....and don't rehash that you think they are crappy humans.
          "Crappy humans?!?"

According to more than a few sources, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Bonham all sound like they would have gotten along great with Jeffery Epstein, sharing the same sick enthusiasms. I know they are certainly not alone as far as other Rock Stars go (in recent times, Rockin' Ryan Adams, anyone?) but assuming that only 1/10th of the various stories (some from the underaged victims' own accounts) are true, they are three very vile, evil men. (Bill Graham even mentioned this in his autobiography, although without graphic details, saying he actually carried guilt from not stopping the many young teen girls who were ushered backstage at Led Zepplin's San Francisco shows from getting on their tour bus)

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post

"Crappy humans?!?"

According to more than a few sources, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Bonham all sound like they would have gotten along great with Jeffery Epstein, sharing the same sick enthusiasms. I know they are certainly not alone as far as other Rock Stars go (in recent times, Rockin' Ryan Adams, anyone?) but assuming that only 1/10th of the various stories (some from the underaged victims' own accounts) are true, they are three very vile, evil men. (Bill Graham even mentioned this in his autobiography, although without graphic details, saying he actually carried guilt from not stopping the many young teen girls who were ushered backstage at Led Zepplin's San Francisco shows from getting on their tour bus)
            You guys carry on. I'll be listening to some Houses of the Holy and maybe some Miles Davis or James Brown after that. My crappy humans playlist. I hear Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani have a lovely, heartwarming new tune that might appeal to your tastes.

Kemp, I recommend the movie 'Co*ksucker Blues from the Stones 72 tour. Their humanity and respect for women really comes thru in black and white. And their billboard of a bound and battered women for the Black and Blue album was touching as well.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=3&ajaxhist=0
            Last edited by Marignygregg; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

You guys carry on. I'll be listening to some Houses of the Holy and maybe some Miles Davis or James Brown after that. My crappy humans playlist. I hear Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani have a lovely, heartwarming new tune that might appeal to your tastes.

Kemp, I recommend the movie 'Co*ksucker Blues from the Stones 72 tour. Their humanity and respect for women really comes thru in black and white. And their billboard of a bound and battered women for the Black and Blue album was touching as well.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=3&ajaxhist=0

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post

"Crappy humans?!?"

To me there is a big difference between underage groupies gladly throwing themselves at young rock stars (many, many more besides Led Zep - Stones, Doors.......) and Jeffery Epstein cultivating young women for sex on some island for him and his friends to have their way with.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post
                  And to these. I'm glad Page got a chance to play with a good band. Yeah, I said it! Bring it on! (I know the Zep guys were good players. They just never appealed to me as a band. Took themselves to seriously for my tastes, and there was all that Spinal Tappy forests of Mordor stuff. I like "Boogie With Stu" and a few others, but if I want to head bang, I'll take AC/DC).
                  The thing for me that made Led Zep such a great band is that they were so much more than a one dimensional "head bang" band like ACDC. They had so many different types of songs ranging from Celtic folk to blues to prog rock. Whenever a new album of theirs came out it was an event as were their tours. No band ever sounded like them or produced such consistently great music as they did.

Unfortunately the one time that I saw them they had been on the road too long and Jimmy Page was obviously high as hell. They were very sloppy, Plant talked his way through many songs and Page more than once got his guitar cord caught on his leg almost causing him to fall over. The slower songs like "Since I've Been Loving You", "No Quarter", and even "Kashmir" were amazing as were the acoustic tunes like "Going To California", "Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp" and "The Battle Of Evermore" but the faster ones were kind of messy. They opened up with "The Song Remains The Same" and it was hard to tell what song it was until Plant started singing. Part I'm sure was due to the sound which was not like it is today. We had tix to see them again later that year (1977) but Plant's kid got killed, they cancelled the tour and never played the US ever again.

Comment

When exactly became "Sex, Drugs & Rock'n'Roll" to "Gluten intolerance, Veganism & Taylor Swift"? Asking for a friend...

Comment

Actually recorded back in 1974. Sounds good to these ears !!
                      That song is ok. I'd never know Jimmy is on there though. I can't really see it replacing any tunes on Goat's Head Soup except maybe "100 Years Ago". I am surprised they did not use it later on like on Tattoo You. "Tops" and "Waiting on a Friend" from that album were from the same era as this "new" tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphy View Post
                        When exactly became "Sex, Drugs & Rock'n'Roll" to "Gluten intolerance, Veganism & Taylor Swift"? Asking for a friend...
                        And mudshark.

Comment

None of my posts have said anything about "crappy humans" or any other moral indictments against the band. I just find most, not all, of their music strident and pretentious. I like the Stones tune "Scarlet" and wish that they had used it as the opener instead of "Dancing With Mr D" which I consider boring and obligatory. I've haven't criticized their musicianship and overall just consider The Stones a far better band. My English major training was of the formalist movement so I am not figuring the lifestyles of any of the players into the equation. If you love them, crank it up to 11 and say, "Fuck Kemp". Does anybody remember laughter?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post
                            None of my posts have said anything about "crappy humans" or any other moral indictments against the band. I just find most, not all, of their music strident and pretentious. I like the Stones tune "Scarlet" and wish that they had used it as the opener instead of "Dancing With Mr D" which I consider boring and obligatory. I've haven't criticized their musicianship and overall just consider The Stones a far better band. My English major training was of the formalist movement so I am not figuring the lifestyles of any of the players into the equation. If you love them, crank it up to 11 and say, "Fuck Kemp". Does anybody remember laughter?
                            No Bodies fault but Kemps.

I think that Led Zep could have used some of the production style of say Jazzy Jeff Lynne to augment their sound and not meander so much.

Anyway enough from me I have no wish to Ramble On.

Comment

Bonnie Raitt says Zeppelin is better than NRBQ, who are better than the Beatles. So there you have it. Not sure if she's speaking musically or referring to their humanitarian efforts.

Comment

Working...
                              X