Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to safely hear live music in New Orleans ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Blumie View Post
    And here come the FOMS. George Porter posted a new in-person live gig on his Facebook page. He’s playing with Chris Adkins at Zony Mash Beer Project on March 20. I got so excited I quickly snatched up a $50 ticket before realizing I already had tics to see Tank & the Bangas and Bon Bon Vivant at Broadside that night.

I have confidence that George will be doing a lot more. So if anyone wants to buy my ticket ($50, includes two craft beers), DM me.
    Wish GPJr could be doing a lot more.
    The schedule is spotty right now seems like Porter gigs are in fits and starts we wish there were more to keep everybody working but everybody needs a piece of very limited pie right now. There is nothing else in March so far, the next Runnin Pardners show is the Fesshead show semi private at Broadside on April 24. There maybe a Trio gig at the Trashpile in April and one at the Gates of Prayer Synagogue April 25.

Comment

• Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post

Dear Lord, do we ALL live within a mile of each other? ...
      Yep, pretty much. You know (yet wouldn't know) that we've probably seen each other at Rouses, CVS, City Park or wherever, and didn't know it

Swag, who I know very well (and used to live TWO DOORS away)... I've pulled up next to him at stop lights.

Comment

• Whoa - 41 degrees and hail yesterday, and we’re supposed to play outside Saturday late afternoon. It’s all feel-good and glad-to-be-out until that sun goes down. C’mon, sun!

Comment

• Originally posted by Blumie View Post
          And here come the FOMS. George Porter posted a new in-person live gig on his Facebook page. He’s playing with Chris Adkins at Zony Mash Beer Project on March 20. I got so excited I quickly snatched up a $50 ticket before realizing I already had tics to see Tank & the Bangas and Bon Bon Vivant at Broadside that night.

I have confidence that George will be doing a lot more. So if anyone wants to buy my ticket ($50, includes two craft beers), DM me.
          Why do all of the shows there cost $50? I was thinking of stopping by there on Sat to see Gros, Higgins, Hall & Teitel but $50? Huh? You get 2 beers but I don't like any of their beers. Haha. Plus I just wanted to stop by before seeing The Ramblers at The Broadside.

Joe Krown with Wolfman the next day are $30. I guess they are counting on music starved fans to pay those prices.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

Why do all of the shows there cost $50? I was thinking of stopping by there on Sat to see Gros, Higgins, Hall & Teitel but $50? Huh? You get 2 beers but I don't like any of their beers. Haha. Plus I just wanted to stop by before seeing The Ramblers at The Broadside.

Joe Krown with Wolfman the next day are $30. I guess they are counting on music starved fans to pay those prices.
            Other that the GPJ show, I haven’t bought tics to any of their shows because of those prices. I might change my mind if I learn that the bulk of the money is going to the musicians.

Comment

• Ticket prices are set both pay musicians and keep the Maple Leaf open - you may be unaware but they've been closed for a year.

Comment

• Originally posted by ztulane View Post
                Ticket prices are set both pay musicians and keep the Maple Leaf open - you may be unaware but they've been closed for a year.
                Wait, they’ve been closed? Did something happen in the last year that caused that?

I’ve been doing my best to support venues and musicians — I’m now seeing music multiple times a week, and often multiple times a day on the weekends, and am happy, and feel obligated (as we all should), generously to stuff the tip jar — but still these prices are steeper than what everyone else is charging. I don’t begrudge them if they can get it, but I won’t be stepping up as often as I’d like to, and as often as I do for the $30 and $35 shows at Broadside. YMMV.

Comment

I was talking with a prominent local musician yesterday, and he was definitely all in the "if they want it they have to pay for it camp." I understand his position but as a listener who has heard many local musicians hundreds (in his case probably close to a thousand) times, I would only pay that much if it were something really special and not just another workaday gig and the same tired tune book. I also talked with another great local musician yesterday, and we were discussing the deleterious effects the tourist based economy has had on the local cultural scene--and the routinization of music has been one of them. If your core audience are tourists looking for either "New Orleansness" or the exact same experience they had on a previous visit, you lose some of the impetus to push yourself as an artist. Tourist audiences are like what Matthew Mcconaughey in Dazed and Confused says about high school girls, "I get older, they stay the same age."

Comment

• Hey man - if you want to prioritize supporting a local movie theater (the Broadside is a a great venue) over one of our longstanding cultural institutions to save a few bucks while insinuating on a message board that they're greedily setting their ticket prices go nuts.

Comment

I lived directly across the street for the first year they were open. There are worse things to have to smell 7 day a week. Haha.
                      Can you shed any light on the parking natzi who currently lives across the street from there?

Comment

Ticket prices are set both pay musicians and keep the Maple Leaf open - you may be unaware but they've been closed for a year.
                        I'm well aware if fact I'm going up there today to support them as they are are having a little shindig on the street outside from 5-7.

Comment

• Originally posted by TornAndFrayed View Post

Can you shed any light on the parking natzi who currently lives across the street from there?
                          No idea. I moved 3 years ago. I lived on the corner of Dumaine & Olga.

Comment

Hey man - if you want to prioritize supporting a local movie theater (the Broadside is a a great venue) over one of our longstanding cultural institutions to save a few bucks while insinuating on a message board that they're greedily setting their ticket prices go nuts.
                            Nothing like twisting my words but hey, go nuts yourself. I already had tix to The Broadside before I even saw this and had no idea what they were using the money for. I hope they do well but I still think $50 is steep.

Comment

• Originally posted by TornAndFrayed View Post

I don't know anything about that specifically, but...

Part of the charm of New Orleans comes from the number of bars, restaurants, and shops that are located smack in the middle of residential blocks and neighborhoods, in places that modern zoning rules in most cities would never allow. Charming, that is, until it's your home block that's overwhelmed by crowds of outsiders. And especially if you bought your home before the crowds came. I'm not sure how big a crowd the old Fellini's drew, but I get the sense that Blue Oak brings in a lot more people. So I get the frustration that the nearby homeowners feel - especially any without their own off street parking. Still, that's no excuse for unprovoked rudeness.
                              Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by swag View Post

I don't know anything about that specifically, but...

Part of the charm of New Orleans comes from the number of bars, restaurants, and shops that are located smack in the middle of residential blocks and neighborhoods, in places that modern zoning rules in most cities would never allow. Charming, that is, until it's your home block that's overwhelmed by crowds of outsiders. And especially if you bought your home before the crowds came. I'm not sure how big a crowd the old Fellini's drew, but I get the sense that Blue Oak brings in a lot more people. So I get the frustration that the nearby homeowners feel - especially any without their own off street parking. Still, that's no excuse for unprovoked rudeness.

When I lived over there it was very hard to park right near our own house and Blue Oak is even more popular now than back then. People would park right in front of our garage door. My housemates would put up cones if they were going out for a short while.

I remember when Fellini's opened back in the 90s in an old renovated gas station. Totally different local food landscape back then with less choices. I lived a few blocks down on Taft Pl and was excited something was opening nearby. After a couple of visits I never went back. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. So happy Blue Oak replaced them.

Comment

Working...
                                X