Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to safely hear live music in New Orleans ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ztulane View Post
    Hey man - if you want to prioritize supporting a local movie theater (the Broadside is a a great venue) over one of our longstanding cultural institutions to save a few bucks while insinuating on a message board that they're greedily setting their ticket prices go nuts.
    I'm not sure to whom you are replying but I don't see any post insinuating anyone is "greedily setting their ticket prices." Some of us have pointed out that $50 at zony mash seems high, but no one insinuated greed. They're bringing in some great acts, and irrespective of whether the money goes to the performers, the Maple Leaf, or zony mash, they're entitled to set their prices however they want to, and we can choose to attend or not as we see fit.

Is GPjr worth $50? Absolutely. Is Ivan Neville doing a Meters show worth $50? Absolutely. In fact one easily could argue that both shows are worth a lot more. My only point is that it gives me more pause at $50 than it does at $30. Will I be in the mood to go when the time comes? Will another show be announced that will be of equal or greater interest to me? The $50 price tag didn't keep me from buying at GPJr ticket; in fact I was so excited I bought the ticket without realizing I already had tickets to see Tank & The Bangas that night. But I'm holding off on some of the other shows for now until I'm certain that I'm gonna want to go.

But in any event maybe withhold your judgment and allow each of us to make our own decisions on how we want to spend our entertainment dollars.

Comment

• Just got back from The Maple Leaf. Great street party up there. Nice crowd, great weather and music. Revert "Peanut" Andres is the bomb! It's been a long time since I last saw him play. So nice to be back in the joint even if it was just to buy a drink.

Comment

• I drove to Baton Rouge tonight to see the Lost Bayou Ramblers play in Beauvoir Park (an inapt name given the highway on one side and the train tracks on the other). A really great show in a really great setting. This is a band I’ve missed a lot. Seeing them again on Saturday night at the Broadside.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blumie View Post
          I drove to Baton Rouge tonight to see the Lost Bayou Ramblers play in Beauvoir Park (an inapt name given the highway on one side and the train tracks on the other). A really great show in a really great setting. This is a band I’ve missed a lot. Seeing them again on Saturday night at the Broadside.
          2 nights in a row? I'll be there tomorrow night, probably alone unless some friends got tix as it's sold out. I'll prob wear my Pres Hall tshirt and I'll have on some type of hat. I doubt I'll be sitting down at all for The Ramblers! Come say hello if you see me as I do not know what you look like. James

Comment

• Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

2 nights in a row? I'll be there tomorrow night, probably alone unless some friends got tix as it's sold out. I'll prob wear my Pres Hall tshirt and I'll have on some type of hat. I doubt I'll be sitting down at all for The Ramblers! Come say hello if you see me as I do not know what you look like. James
            One of my favs lately, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

See you tonight. Black t-shirt, black jeans, brown boots.

Ian

Comment

• Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by swag View Post
                  Very cool. I'm fully vaxed and ready for some festing!

Comment

• I just got an email from Music Box Village that their only spring event will be a dance performance Apr 15-17. "Music Box Village will reopen with our own original programming this Fall if the pandemic continues to ease". So that's disappointing - I enjoyed the shows there last fall, though they wouldn't have been economically viable without big sponsors, so I get it.

On the positive side, and email from the Orpheum announcing a new show in September (Gregory Porter). I think that's the first new show at any of the theaters since this all started.
                    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

• I saw Anders (with Brad Walker for a few tunes) at Tip's on Sat night, caught a few Nightcrawlers tunes on the way home at Zony Mash and then saw Cha Wa tear it up at The Broadside on Sun. Things are slowly starting to feel like normal around here.

Comment

• Black Laurel doing long overdue sidewalk/porch show tomorrow/Friday at 7pm. 1800 block Burgundy ( not my house, but a few doors downriver ). Not sure if we are streaming. If so, I will include link later.

C'mon out !!

Comment

• Sad news from the Trash Pile.

Its with a heavy heart that I post now to tell you that we got a call from the city this morning saying that my permit had been rescinded. The Trash Pile must close its gates. My neighbors have had enough of the consistency of our shows. There were false reports made saying that we were open every night which simply isn't true. Either way, its done. We will be able to open again on a smaller scale as a pop up venue for 2-3 nights at a time but when that will be is unforeseeable as of now. I want to thank all of you for helping me on my quest to try to preserve the culture of our great city. Together we raised over $80,000 to benefit out of work musicians who night after night delivered special performances to us at the Pile. It was the most magical time of my life.
                          Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by swag View Post
                            Sad news from the Trash Pile.
                            I wonder if those women posting wherever they can online that he is a repeat sexual assaulter had anything to do with it.

Comment

• I never went to Trash Pile, but understood that it was invitation-only and they were trying to keep it underground and low-key. In the past few weeks, I've seen folks sharing Facebook posts and information about it... which makes me wonder if the size of it increased substantially. Just me thinking out loud.

Comment

• Originally posted by festbabe View Post
                                I never went to Trash Pile, but understood that it was invitation-only and they were trying to keep it underground and low-key. In the past few weeks, I've seen folks sharing Facebook posts and information about it... which makes me wonder if the size of it increased substantially. Just me thinking out loud.
                                Early on it was hush hush but over time anyone could go. My guess is the neighbors got tired of all the cars, drunks and the noise.

Comment

Working...
                                X