Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to safely hear live music in New Orleans ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by festbabe View Post

I take back what I said about the grey chairs (sort of).

Had the chance to go here on Saturday. There are several other chair types available toward the back, including the sectional-style outdoor seats.

It's a very nice space, larger than I thought. In the early afternoon, it was open-door (no cover) to hear the Tin Men. After they finished, though, they made an announcement to clear the space, since the next band would have a cover charge.

Table service for drinks via a QR-code thing, which we by-passed and just trotted over to dba to order at the counter and use the restrooms as needed.
    We used the QR codes. They not only bring up the menu but also the order form that is tied to your table number. Once we ordered, they drinks came very quickly. Super easy for ordering beers, but I could see where mixed drinks could be more complicated.
    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

• Frenchmen St. was bubbling back to life last night. I went to Bamboula's to see Smoky Greenwell and my buddy Jack Kolb and it was Business As Usual in there...no masks, no social distancing. (Not surprising given their Bourbon St. roots.) It is different at next door 30/90 as their tables are distanced and I think masks are required. Checkpoint Charlies is open, no music, Balcony Music Club has music as does Favala Chic in the old Cafe Brazil, the Apple Barrel remains an adjunct of Adolpho's so it is a mixed bag but the momentum has swung, for sure.

I do like the outdoor tables on the block with d.b.a. Seems like making that a pedestrian zone, at least in the evening/weekends, would be a good idea.

Comment

• The end of the beginning is here:
        Monk Boudreaux plays Tipitina's on June 11. General admission standing room only (though no statement on what the capacity is).
        Other than a burlesque show on a sunday night for father's day, after June 11 there are no shows on the Tip's calendar that include table seating.
        All shows after that date are listed as GA/SRO.
        Prices still higher than expected (monk $25, big sam $25) but i suspect will begin to fall (with a major exception in October)

Comment

• Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post
          The end of the beginning is here:
          Monk Boudreaux plays Tipitina's on June 11. General admission standing room only (though no statement on what the capacity is).
          Other than a burlesque show on a sunday night for father's day, after June 11 there are no shows on the Tip's calendar that include table seating.
          All shows after that date are listed as GA/SRO.
          Prices still higher than expected (monk $25, big sam $25) but i suspect will begin to fall (with a major exception in October)
          Things can change, of course, but at the moment, the city limits indoor gatherings to 250. I'd guess that's what Tips is selling (maybe minus a few for the band and staff?)

Comment

• Originally posted by swag View Post

Things can change, of course, but at the moment, the city limits indoor gatherings to 250. I'd guess that's what Tips is selling (maybe minus a few for the band and staff?)
            I had not realized that, and I would suspect that when that limit changes, the prices will go down (i.e, supply will go up with increased capacity, and thus....)

Comment

• The North Mississippi All Stars are at Tip's on July 1st for $40.

Comment

• Snug Harbor is reopening.

After 14 months, Snug Harbor is returning live music to the stage and audiences to the showroom this June! Jason Marsalis will be kicking off on Friday (6/4) with a tribute to his late father and legendary pianist, Ellis Marsalis. Joining Jason will be former members of Ellis' quintet; Ashlin Parker on trumpet, Derek Douget on saxophones, and Jason Stewart on bass along with Shea Pierre filling in for E.

Ellis began playing at Snug in the early 1980s and soon became a staple resident of the club, continuing his long-running Friday night gig for over thirty years. Snug Harbor is the house that Ellis Marsalis built.

All performances will be on Fridays and Saturdays at 8pm and 10pm with half the normal audience capacity, creating an even more intimate listening experience. COVID mandates will be honored with masks required and social distancing. With the limited seating, it is advised that you get your tickets early!

Comment

• I saw Bomerama at the Howlin Wolf Saturday. Chairs set up with good spacing in the aisles. They made a announcement that vaccinated people didn’t need to wear masks and could get up and dance. But non vaccinated keep the masks on and seated. That being said I can’t recall anyone wearing masks. And I saw a lot of bad dancing But it was a great show.

Comment

• Black Laurel at Carnaval Lounge. June 10th. 7pm. No streaming.

Black Laurel | Facebook

Comment

• Just got back from 6 straight nights of non-distanced, non masked music in Austin. I saw hometown heroes The Black Puma twice at Stubb's (2000 at each show) and they were absolutely amazing. First real concert since seeing Arcade Fire in Feb of last year. They are definitely ready for the bigtime and have come a long way from the first time I saw them 18 months ago. Hope they play the fest. (I suggested them to Quint last year and he had no idea who they were.) Also saw Heartless Bastards, Jimmie Vaughan, Sue Foley, Barfield The Tyrant, Ephraim Owens (from TTB), Dale Watson and Whitney Rose who was dynamite. So much fun seeing normal shows and dancing and partying with friends and strangers alike. New Orleans, it's time!

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...eturn-1175856/

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...hotos-1177078/
                      Last edited by jjazznj; 1 week ago.

Comment

• I am going to Austin next week. I will see Israel Nash, a real favorite of mine, do a record release party for his "Topaz" album. Hopefully, I can see Bob Schneider the night before though that will be a tough ticket in Austin. And I will pop in the Continental Club somewhere along the way. Looking forward to it as it has been a while since I've been there and I have some usual spots to hit that thankfully still are there...Waterloo Records, Greens Mesquite, Torchy's Tacos, Joes Coffee. Coming back with a bag of tamales from Polvo's, that I know.

Then I am going to Orange Beach to see Tedeschi Trucks. Nice to have some fun to look forward to!

Comment

• Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
                          I am going to Austin next week. I will see Israel Nash, a real favorite of mine, do a record release party for his "Topaz" album. Hopefully, I can see Bob Schneider the night before though that will be a tough ticket in Austin. And I will pop in the Continental Club somewhere along the way. Looking forward to it as it has been a while since I've been there and I have some usual spots to hit that thankfully still are there...Waterloo Records, Greens Mesquite, Torchy's Tacos, Joes Coffee. Coming back with a bag of tamales from Polvo's, that I know.

Then I am going to Orange Beach to see Tedeschi Trucks. Nice to have some fun to look forward to!
                          Surely you will have time for a visit to Hippy Hollow?

Comment

• Depends if I go as a hippie or a hipster...

Comment

• The Maple Leaf reopens tonight.
                              75 people per show, dancing is encouraged!! We would prefer all attendees be vaccinated and if you can show us your Vaccination card or La. Wallet or a picture of your Vaccination card, we will get you a shot of Jamo!!!
                              https://www.facebook.com/mapleaf.oak/

Comment

• Originally posted by swag View Post
                                The Maple Leaf reopens tonight.

https://www.facebook.com/mapleaf.oak/
                                Nice. Time to start listing notable clubs still closed. I'll start.

Blue Nile and DBA ( not counting the outdoor space that has NONE of the indoor DBA vibe. ( also yet to open on Frenchmen is 13 and Vaso )

Comment

Working...
                                X