Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to safely hear live music in New Orleans ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like extra Mint balcony shows for the NOLA River Fest.
    https://www.nolariverfest.org/line-u...eid=93203f82d9
    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post
      Looks like extra Mint balcony shows for the NOLA River Fest.
      https://www.nolariverfest.org/line-u...eid=93203f82d9
      Nice. Isn't Cha Wa also on the 22nd ??

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

Nice. Isn't Cha Wa also on the 22nd ??
        29th

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post

29th
          https://www.facebook.com/events/3040288636259356/

Comment

Live from Marigny Gregg's Porch at the Burgundy Bend.

The Marigny Pranksters. Saturday ( Oct 3rd ) 7pm.

Catch the stream or come on by ( social distancing and masks please ) as we celebrate a few Threadhead birthdays.

https://www.facebook.com/events/349364862850850

Comment

Dixie has reopened, outside seating/table service only. Here's the lineup for this weekend.

Comment

The broad Theater has its own thread at https://www.jazzfestforum.com/forum/...music-outdoors but wanted to also keep the master list in this thread comprehensive.

Comment

I’m hopeful we can come up some creative ideas for live music as this thing drags on. Good to see some progress.

The below link is a succinct slideshow overview of the COVID situation:

https://docs.google.com/presentation...dit#slide=id.p

Seems to me outdoor smaller-scale shows can be done with relative safety if done right.

And for yet another creative idea, not in NOLA, however, Los Lobos is doing a “vertical concert”:

https://www.dreaminnsantacruz.com/evening-los-lobos

Onward!

Comment

Originally posted by BostonDavid View Post
                    And for yet another creative idea, not in NOLA, however, Los Lobos is doing a “vertical concert”:

https://www.dreaminnsantacruz.com/evening-los-lobos

Onward!
                    I know that there are a couple of other Los Lobos freaks here on the board, I am also huge fan of their music, specifically their typically dynamic live shows which I have been seeing regularly since 1990, at various large scale festivals and intimate stand-alone gigs all over the map, including at some truly iconic venues like Red Rocks, The Gorge and Berkeley's Greek Theater, Austin City Limits Music Festival, alongside the Grateful Dead, Santana and Neil Young in San Francisco's storied Golden Gate Park, as well as at Jazzfest several times over the years, and I am also all for the free market economy and letting people vote with their wallets, but I have spent the last 15 minutes reading the fine print regarding the Rules and Regulations of the above event and it looks like it will be a logistical trainwreck, an outrageously expensive, incredibly restrictive privation with less personal freedom than a stint in a Federal SuperMax prison.

Basically, as far as I can make out, Los Lobos is playing outside, they will be set up around a hotel's swimming pool deck area, and for a MINIMUM of $250 per person (for the cheapest rooms furthest away from the stage) you can rent a room overlooking the pool that you are then apparently unable to leave during the event, forbidden to interact with anyone else staying at the hotel who isn't actually a registered guest in your room and most bizarrely, required to wear a mask at all times, EVEN WHEN IN YOUR OWN PRIVATE ROOM DURING THE ACTUAL MUSIC.

I certainly get that many of us are intensely craving the live music experience that initially brought us together as music lovers, but I have a hard time imagining that a sterile, inhibited, repressive setup like this is going to attract many takers. A huge part of the attraction of live performances is sharing it with others, friends and strangers alike coming together as a motley "Tribe" of diverse individuals who nonetheless share in the common joy of experiencing music that speaks to your soul. Being isolated with a few friends, adjacent to other little isolated groups of people, without the ability to interact or connect with anyone outside your little clique seems to miss a huge part of the whole experience.

Will this appeal to any but the most devoted and well-heeled fans? I would hate to think that live music will become even more practically and financially restricted than it already is, music shouldn't just be for the 1% of the wealthiest among us, but then again, I guess it has been heading that direction for a while now...
                    Last edited by MormonMatthew; 10-11-2020, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post

I know that there are a couple of other Los Lobos freaks here on the board, I am also huge fan of their music, specifically their typically dynamic live shows which I have been seeing regularly since 1990, at various large scale festivals and intimate stand-alone gigs all over the map, including at some truly iconic venues like Red Rocks, The Gorge and Berkeley's Greek Theater, Austin City Limits Music Festival, alongside the Grateful Dead in San Francisco's storied Golden Gate Park, as well as at Jazzfest several times over the years, and I am also all for the free market economy and letting people vote with their wallets, but I have spent the last 15 minutes reading the fine print regarding the Rules and Regulations of the above event and it looks like it will be a logistical trainwreck, an outrageously expensive, incredibly restrictive privation with less personal freedom than a stint in a Federal SuperMax prison.

Basically, as far as I can make it out, Los Lobos is playing outside, set up around a hotel's swimming pool deck area, and for a MINIMUM of $250 per person (for the cheapest rooms furthest away from the stage) you can rent a room that you are then apparently unable to leave during the show, forbidden to interact with anyone else at the event who isn't actually registered as staying in your room and most bizarrely, required to wear a mask EVEN WHEN IN YOUR OWN PRIVATE ROOM DURING THE ACTUAL MUSIC.

I certainly get that many of us are intensely craving the live music experience that initially brought us together as music lovers, but I have a hard time imagining that a sterile, inhibited, repressive setup like this is going to attract many takers...?
                      I rarely go more that 2 years without seeing Los Lobos going back to the late 80s. Bars, clubs, festivals, concerts etc.. If I had to guess 20-30 times? Too many to remember. Pre-covid they hardly ever come to NOLA anymore except for Jazz Fest which sucks.

I loved The Latin Playboys too. Bummed I never saw them.

No desire to do what you described or even do the drive-in thing. Not my idea of seeing live music.

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post

I know that there are a couple of other Los Lobos freaks here on the board, I am also huge fan of their music, specifically their typically dynamic live shows which I have been seeing regularly since 1990, at various large scale festivals and intimate stand-alone gigs all over the map, including at some truly iconic venues like Red Rocks, The Gorge and Berkeley's Greek Theater, Austin City Limits Music Festival, alongside the Grateful Dead, Santana and Neil Young in San Francisco's storied Golden Gate Park, as well as at Jazzfest several times over the years, and I am also all for the free market economy and letting people vote with their wallets, but I have spent the last 15 minutes reading the fine print regarding the Rules and Regulations of the above event and it looks like it will be a logistical trainwreck, an outrageously expensive, incredibly restrictive privation with less personal freedom than a stint in a Federal SuperMax prison.

Basically, as far as I can make out, Los Lobos is playing outside, they will be set up around a hotel's swimming pool deck area, and for a MINIMUM of $250 per person (for the cheapest rooms furthest away from the stage) you can rent a room overlooking the pool that you are then apparently unable to leave during the event, forbidden to interact with anyone else staying at the hotel who isn't actually a registered guest in your room and most bizarrely, required to wear a mask at all times, EVEN WHEN IN YOUR OWN PRIVATE ROOM DURING THE ACTUAL MUSIC.

I certainly get that many of us are intensely craving the live music experience that initially brought us together as music lovers, but I have a hard time imagining that a sterile, inhibited, repressive setup like this is going to attract many takers. A huge part of the attraction of live performances is sharing it with others, friends and strangers alike coming together as a motley "Tribe" of diverse individuals who nonetheless share in the common joy of experiencing music that speaks to your soul. Being isolated with a few friends, adjacent to other little isolated groups of people, without the ability to interact or connect with anyone outside your little clique seems to miss a huge part of the whole experience.

Will this appeal to any but the most devoted and well-heeled fans? I would hate to think that live music will become even more practically and financially restricted than it already is, music shouldn't just be for the 1% of the wealthiest among us, but then again, I guess it has been heading that direction for a while now...
                        Well, I am a Los Lobos super-fan and I have taken some extreme measures to catch their shows over the years so I would probably do this if I were in the vicinity but I’m not about to fly anywhere. There aren’t many other bands, if any, I would do this for at all.

Your criticisms are all valid. I’m just watching what people come up with for ideas. The obvious problem is the lost communal experience but that seems largely insurmountable when social distancing is all we have for pandemic protection. Like I said above, small-scale outdoor shows like the Broad is doing seem workable but a bit strained and will probably only work for small crowds, which brings its own financial and related issues. All ideas are welcome!

Comment

P.S., Thanks for the interesting conversations. See you all down the road. Stay safe.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonDavid View Post

Well, I am a Los Lobos super-fan and I have taken some extreme measures to catch their shows over the years so I would probably do this if I were in the vicinity but I’m not about to fly anywhere. There aren’t many other bands, if any, I would do this for at all.

Your criticisms are all valid. I’m just watching what people come up with for ideas. The obvious problem is the lost communal experience but that seems largely insurmountable when social distancing is all we have for pandemic protection. Like I said above, small-scale outdoor shows like the Broad is doing seem workable but a bit strained and will probably only work for small crowds, which brings its own financial and related issues. All ideas are welcome!
                            The Broad will probably only have lesser known bands without a cover. Looks like the music is so they can sell drinks. I'm gonna go there tomorrow night and checkout "Down By Law".

I actually flew last week to Austin for a few days on Southwest. No issues at all although I did get lucky and snagged a seat up front so I was able to get off the plane quickly. Southwest is still keeping the center seats empty. I'm taking them to Tampa in Nov for the Saints-Bucs game. Hope they are still seating that way.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

The Broad will probably only have lesser known bands without a cover. Looks like the music is so they can sell drinks. I'm gonna go there tomorrow night and checkout "Down By Law".

I actually flew last week to Austin for a few days on Southwest. No issues at all although I did get lucky and snagged a seat up front so I was able to get off the plane quickly. Southwest is still keeping the center seats empty. I'm taking them to Tampa in Nov for the Saints-Bucs game. Hope they are still seating that way.
                              I'm definitely not to the point where I'm comfortable flying for pleasure. Just not worth the risk for me.

Comment

Originally posted by TornAndFrayed View Post

I'm definitely not to the point where I'm comfortable flying for pleasure. Just not worth the risk for me.
                                I get it, I felt the same way all Summer but I just have to get out of this town and have no desire to drive far. I flew on Southwest. Only airline I'd fly on. No one sits in the middle. I actually had no problem at all, especially on a short flight.

Comment

Working...
                                X