Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to safely hear live music in New Orleans ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jjazznj
    replied
    Originally posted by DownDaBayou View Post

While I agree they've showcased interesting music over the years, I find the noise bleed from the bar to the front of the building a deal killer.
    It depends, for a lot of shows, especially the ones you pay to get into, they close all the doors/panels to fix that problem. It's also one of the best sounding rooms around.

Leave a comment:

• DownDaBayou
    replied
    Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
    3 Keys, the small music venue in The Ace Hotel is now having music again and has some decent shows coming up including Nicholas Payton. I've seen some of the best shows in this city there over the last 5 years, especially during Jazz Fest.

http://threekeysnola.com/
    While I agree they've showcased interesting music over the years, I find the noise bleed from the bar to the front of the building a deal killer.

Leave a comment:

• Marignygregg
    replied
    Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
    Black Laurel at Carnaval Lounge. June 10th. 7pm. No streaming.

Black Laurel | Facebook
    Bump. C'mon out !! We gonna rock hard !!

Leave a comment:

• jjazznj
    replied
    3 Keys, the small music venue in The Ace Hotel is now having music again and has some decent shows coming up including Nicholas Payton. I've seen some of the best shows in this city there over the last 5 years, especially during Jazz Fest.

http://threekeysnola.com/

Leave a comment:

• Gards
    replied
    Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
    Checkpoint Charlie's is open but I don't think they have music yet. Things won't be "normal" til that happens... I like seeing Woodenhead for free.
    T Bone Stone has been doing his thing there on a Wednesday night for many a year, always makes me smile.

Leave a comment:

• Marignygregg
    replied
    Originally posted by swag View Post

Indoor shows at dba tonight!

Due the the weather, Storyville Stompers @ 4 and Quickening @ 8 are moving inside at dba.
    https://www.facebook.com/dba-New-Orleans-101886800499/
    Interesting. I did not think they were set up to receive a crowd yet. I wonder if it will be limited bar ?

Leave a comment:

• Marignygregg
    replied
    Checkpoint Charlie's is open but I don't think they have music yet. Things won't be "normal" til that happens... I like seeing Woodenhead for free.
    Yup. Agree completely. Not sure what Claudia is waiting for ?

Leave a comment:

• chopitulas
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DownDaBayou
    replied
    Chickie Wah Wah is supposed to reopen in September or, at least, that was the story a couple of weeks back.
    Last edited by DownDaBayou; 5 days ago.

Leave a comment:

• swag
    replied

Nice. Time to start listing notable clubs still closed. I'll start.

Blue Nile and DBA ( not counting the outdoor space that has NONE of the indoor DBA vibe. ( also yet to open on Frenchmen is 13 and Vaso )
    Indoor shows at dba tonight!

Due the the weather, Storyville Stompers @ 4 and Quickening @ 8 are moving inside at dba.
    https://www.facebook.com/dba-New-Orleans-101886800499/

Leave a comment:

• jjazznj
    replied
    Originally posted by swag View Post

Chickie Wah Wah.
    I do wish they would open as I can walk there and is a stop for some artists on tour that I love like Dave Alvin, Alejandro Escovedo or Joe Ely.

One Eyed Jacks is not having any music yet. Not sure if the front bar is open or not.

The Fillmore is still closed.

Not that a lot of artists on tour come here in the Summer but many are touring or planning tours and hardly any are coming here as some venues are still closed. As much as I love local music I want to see some out of town acts come here to play.

Leave a comment:

• swag
    replied

Nice. Time to start listing notable clubs still closed. I'll start.

Blue Nile and DBA ( not counting the outdoor space that has NONE of the indoor DBA vibe. ( also yet to open on Frenchmen is 13 and Vaso )
    Chickie Wah Wah.

Leave a comment:

• chopitulas
    replied
    Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

Jimmie Vaughan plays from 10:30 until to around 1:30-1:45 doing 2 sets. I've seen him there a bunch of times including last Friday when he had guests Sue Foley and Soul Man Sam. C-Boys is probably my favorite place to see music there along with sister club The Continental. Make sure to checkout The Jade Room, an upstairs lounge styled after 50s era Japanese GI bars. It's pretty cool.
    I will head over there as soon as Israel Nash ends, hopefully in time to catch Set II. I put the Continental Club right up there with Tipitina's and The Fillmore as my favorite venues ever so I am sure C-Boys must be great.

Leave a comment:

• jjazznj
    replied

Thanks for posting and I took notes. I am interested in the C-Boys venue as Jimmie Vaughan is there on the Friday. I am hoping it is still going after Israel Nash. (That's one thing about Austin as opposed to NOLA...last I was there, things shut down at 2.)

Now if I can just land a ticket to the free show Bob Schneider is doing, I'll be set!
    Jimmie Vaughan plays from 10:30 until to around 1:30-1:45 doing 2 sets. I've seen him there a bunch of times including last Friday when he had guests Sue Foley and Soul Man Sam. C-Boys is probably my favorite place to see music there along with sister club The Continental. Make sure to checkout The Jade Room, an upstairs lounge styled after 50s era Japanese GI bars. It's pretty cool.

Leave a comment:

• steeleye
    replied

Right on! I saw a reviewer say they were unfamiliar with him but saw a live show and was amazed how BIG their sound was. I am sure he applies the same attention to detail as he does in the studio to his live show. The sound on the rehearsal footage I posted is fantastic...sound great in headphones.
    Although “big” is a pretty broad description, I know what he means. The club in Philly isn’t very big but they sounded quite loud, but not deafening loud, and their sound board guy kept them that way with virtually no distortion. You should really enjoy it. I certainly did.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X