Sultans of Swing----Dire Straits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sultans of Swing----Dire Straits

This is from a 2010 concert and the video portion is definitely not BluRay quality. But it is lots of fun. I beg you please do not watch on some small screen or an iPhone, that's just wasting your time. I also suggest very strongly to increase your pleasure that prior to starting the video itself that you scroll down and peruse a page or two of the comments.Some are priceless and still current. People are still commenting even now. Fun stuff.

https://youtu.be/8Pa9x9fZBtY

For those of you not familiar with the lyrics:

Sultans of Swing

Dire Straits
    You get a shiver in the dark
    It's a raining in the park but meantime-
    South of the river you stop and you hold everything
    A band is blowing Dixie, double four time
    You feel alright when you hear the music ring
    Well now you step inside but you don't see too many faces
    Coming in out of the rain they hear the jazz go down
    Competition in other places
    Uh but the horns they blowin' that sound
    Way on down south
    Way on down south
    London town
    You check out guitar George, he knows-all the chords
    Mind, it's strictly rhythm he doesn't want to make it cry or sing
    They said an old guitar is all, he can afford
    When he gets up under the lights to play his thing
    And Harry doesn't mind, if he doesn't, make the scene
    He's got a daytime job, he's doing alright
    He can play the Honky Tonk like anything
    Savin' it up, for Friday night
    With the Sultans
    We're the Sultans of Swing
    Then a crowd a young boys they're a foolin' around in the corner
    Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles
    They don't give a damn about any trumpet playin' band
    It ain't what they call Rock and Roll
    And the Sultans
    Yeah, the Sultans, they play Creole
    Creole
    And then the man he steps right up to the microphone
    And says at last just as the time bell rings
    "Goodnight, now it's time to go home"
    Then he makes it fast with one more thing
    "We are the Sultans
    We are the Sultans of Swing"
    Last edited by 20/20; 1 week ago.

Really wonderful. Thanks for posting.

Given the clothes and the way Knopfler looks, I doubt this is from 2010. Looks more like early to mid-80's. I suspect the video was posted in 2010. But no matter - it's a real pleasure.

Comment

The Dire Straits tour in 1985 was a barnburner. I remember Mark's extended solo on "Sultans" being a real highlight.

Comment

It says Alchemy Live; that's the 1984 live album taken from a single show and i believe this is that. ALong with Knopfler the drumming on this entire record is incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
          The Dire Straits tour in 1985 was a barnburner. I remember Mark's extended solo on "Sultans" being a real highlight.
          The 85/86 tour went on for ever and Australia turned them in to superstars they did some thing like 50 shows down here over a couple of months. I did stuff at about 10 of them in Melbourne and took I one night off to see Dylan and Tom Petty at Kooyong Tennis Club the former home of the Aus Open, the next night or so Dylan came and got up with Dire Straits at the old Melbourne Sports and Entertainment Centre AKA 56 Olympic Pool, the good thing was that you could actually understand what Dylan was singing back then.
          I will call some old friends who did the whole tour to see if I can get any good stories out them.
          I have a couple of good ones about the Merch dealings but all these years later they still need to stay untold.

Comment

Originally posted by Gards View Post

The 85/86 tour went on for ever and Australia turned them in to superstars they did some thing like 50 shows down here over a couple of months. I did stuff at about 10 of them in Melbourne and took I one night off to see Dylan and Tom Petty at Kooyong Tennis Club the former home of the Aus Open, the next night or so Dylan came and got up with Dire Straits at the old Melbourne Sports and Entertainment Centre AKA 56 Olympic Pool, the good thing was that you could actually understand what Dylan was singing back then.
            I will call some old friends who did the whole tour to see if I can get any good stories out them.
            I have a couple of good ones about the Merch dealings but all these years later they still need to stay untold.
            I worked in Saudi Arabia in 1979 and in 1984. English music was dominant and Dire Straits was having an impact with the first album and "Communique" during that first stint. A big outing for us was to go the the tape shops in town where bootleg cassettes were sold, so that's where I got those first two. (Actually, I think I had already bought the first album in '78 before I went there.) When I went back in '84, "Alchemy" was out and I would listen to it on my Walkman every day riding the bus across the desert to the jobsite. I have a special thing for that album.

My point is they were already big in Europe in that time frame, one of the biggest, in fact. It took that 1985 tour to really break them in the US, and the "Money For Nothing" video, of course.

I see Melbourne just got locked down, Gards. Sadly, that is what it is gonna take and we are nowhere near able to do that here.
            Last edited by chopitulas; 6 days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by resmp View Post
              Given the clothes and the way Knopfler looks, I doubt this is from 2010. Looks more like early to mid-80's. I suspect the video was posted in 2010.
              Music in this video

Sultans of Swing (Live 1983)

Alchemy - Dire Straits Live

Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post
              It says Alchemy Live; that's the 1984 live album taken from a single show and i believe this is that. ALong with Knopfler the drumming on this entire record is incredible.
              "Alchemy: Dire Straits Live is a double album and the first live album by the British rock band Dire Straits, released on 16 March 1984 Alchemy: Dire Straits Live was recorded live at the Hammersmith Odeon in London on 22–23 July 1983."

Comment

Originally posted by PaulC View Post

Music in this video

Sultans of Swing (Live 1983)

Alchemy - Dire Straits Live

"Alchemy: Dire Straits Live is a double album and the first live album by the British rock band Dire Straits, released on 16 March 1984 Alchemy: Dire Straits Live was recorded live at the Hammersmith Odeon in London on 22–23 July 1983."
                Hmmm, the liner notes on the vinyl specifically say "this is a recording of excerpts from one Dire Straits performance" --- no doubt it was Hammersmith July '83, I wonder if the band was fudging a little on the "one performance" claim, or if the wiki is a little off.

It's VERY impressive to get an 89 minute double LP out of a single night's show...... (note, this is a technique called "foreshadowing", see thread titled "saving music venues yay or nay"

Comment

Maybe the greatest song of all time.

Comment

Always loved this song, happily it gets played occasionally on Chicago radio. Great driving rtune too!g

Comment

Working...
                    X