Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have wanted to return with my family but need some advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have wanted to return with my family but need some advice.

Hey everyone! I used to go to jazzfest when I was younger.I haven’t been since 2009.I am now older with some back problems.I might could work it out with the standing.My husband or his mom that would be coming along probably could not.

My daughter is disabled.We have not gotten as far as who would go and if we would all go.My daughter likes swimming and someone could stay with her at the hotel.

I always took the jazzfest bus that runs out of Sheraton.I’m 90% sure that my mother in law would need a wheelchair or scooter.I know there’s extra money in that.

We have thought about just buying the Krewe of Jazzfest tickets so everyone has a seat regardless.I’m not sure if jazzfest is even an event that we could easily consider.

It would be best if my mother in law had a scooter and had one the entire trip.I know you’re then looking at taking a car to jazzfest and paying the parking fee.

I appreciate any help or advice.She would probably like to go with me more than my husband would.

Last edited by proudmommy43; 08-16-2020, 01:02 PM.

Hi proudmommy, welcome to the board.

You can see the pre-Covid fest website via archive.org, and here's a recent snapshot of their page for Patrons with Disabilities. Of note, they do offer free loaner wheelchairs for use at the fest.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20190501...-disabilities/

The info email for ADA questions is [email protected]. No idea if anyone is monitoring that account these days.

I'm fortunate enough to have not used the services myself, but comments on their ADA accommodations are generally positive.

If you're not bringing your own wheelchair/scooter, then the bus from the Sheraton may be the best choice, assuming you're staying near there. If you do have your own, know that there's no on-site parking except for VIP and Handicapped, and I don't know if they will accept an out of state placard?

Most people who go to fest don't stand all day, at least not those of us who are a bit older. The four tents (Jazz/Blues/Gospel/Economy Hall are fileld with fest-provided folding chairs, and since your last Fest, they've also added free bleacher seating at Acura and Congo Square (reasonable comfortable but no back support). Collapsible chairs continue to improve, getting lighter and more comfortable. The "roll-a-chair" is under 2 pounds and offers surprisingly good back support. Of course, VIP is another option. Krewe offers seating, but only at the Acura stage. For VIP seating elsewhere, you'd need the more expensive Big Chief pass.

Of course, all this assumes that Jazzfest as we know it returns next year. It may get canceled or postponed again, or it may return with significant Covid-induced changes. Only time will tell.
    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Thank you so much Swag! I’ve been reading your website on and off for years.I’ve never had to deal with any of this before.I read that a companion can accompany the disabled patron.Would this person have seating?

I’m not sure if it would be easier for my mother in law just to rent a scooter and I bring a chair than to attempt to go to the disabled area.

Comment

Originally posted by proudmommy43 View Post
        Thank you so much Swag! I’ve been reading your website on and off for years.I’ve never had to deal with any of this before.I read that a companion can accompany the disabled patron.Would this person have seating?
        Yes, a disabled person can bring one companion into the ADA area.

At the big stages, it's a raised platform. No seating is provided, but the companion can bring their own chair in. In the tents, the wheelchair spot is an empty space at the end of the row, on the aisle, and the adjacent (fest-provided) chair is reserved for the companion.
        Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Handicap Placards are valid in all 50 states. Louisiana has no special restrictions for out of state

People who are visiting Louisiana can use the handicap parking sticker from their home state but must follow the laws and regulations of Louisiana. When you have a handicap parking sticker, you can:
          • Park in areas designated for people with disabilities
          • Park for two hours longer than the time posted on the meter or sign

https://drhandicap.com/dmv-forms/louisiana/

Comment

Thank you for the responses! I really appreciate it! We normally visit the city once every couple of years for a weekend.We might just have to stick to that.I’ll be happy when we all can safely visit places again.

Comment

Working...
            X