Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 years ago today......

The big K.

The board was a source of comfort in the days/weeks/months afterwards. Before all the Threadheads ran off to their exclusive gated Facebook community.

Every once in awhile even a blind hog finds an acorn. Nice post. Serious and funny at the same time. Glad that you guys escaped this last event. Needless to say I was following intently. For those of us who live in sensitive areas it's a "brothers in arms" type of situation.
    Have a good time tonight. Knock 'em dead. Another anniversary? Wasn't it Twenty Years Ago Today That you Taught The Band (Black Laurel) To Play?

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
      The big K.

The board was a source of comfort in the days/weeks/months afterwards. Before all the Threadheads ran off to their exclusive gated Facebook community.
      15 years, time marches on

At the time of the Federal Flood I was pretending to w#rk in Germany and I remember the amazement of the locals that we were involved with when at a bar one night we saw the idiot US President say "Brownies doing a heck of a job". The Germans really could not believe it, as we were seeing on the news the numerous problems that were being very badly handled and straight away they mentioned that the same fool had started a war over non existent weapons of mass destruction, the aftermath of which has been an ongoing disaster.

And now 15 years later we have an even bigger idiot President who has seen roughly 180,000 Covid deaths on his watch, and he himself tells us that he is "doing a heck of a job"

History repeats. Very Sadly

Comment

New Orleans got through it, and New Orleans will get/is getting through this.

Comment

Glad there was some comfort in messages from those of us not in New Orleans; all I remember is helplessness and sadness for weeks afterward.

Did this forum exist then? Seems like I remember still being on the Pet de Kat board during K.

Comment

Originally posted by Headless Hornman View Post
            Glad there was some comfort in messages from those of us not in New Orleans; all I remember is helplessness and sadness for weeks afterward.

Did this forum exist then? Seems like I remember still being on the Pet de Kat board during K.
            The current vBulletin version of this board started in October 2006.
            Here's the Welcome thread: https://www.jazzfestforum.com/forum/...rum/20-welcome

But before that, there was the earlier version of the jazz fest forum on this official site using different software. That's where threads like History of the Jazz Fest Poles and None started. I forget when that came online, but that's where the term Threadhead came from, and Threadheads were certainly around under that moniker before Katrina. But the PDKK board was active for a while after that, coexisting with this forum; I'm sure there was real time Katrina discussion both places.
            Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Gambit has published the issue that was supposed to go out but didn't because of Katrina.
              Fascinating to see some of what has changed and what hasn't. (Sue Zemeckis had just been named chef at Geautreau, Ruth's on Broad won best steakhouse, Rads and Galactic were gearing up to welcome back TU students at Tips.....)
              https://www.nola.com/gambit/film/art...3954af839.html

Comment

Katrina hit NO on the eve of my birthday, and my horror at the destruction and plight of the people in the aftermath, welled up again as the two recent storms headed in the city's general direction. Thankfully NO was spared another calamity, but many new tragedies happened to the west. Despite all our science and technology we are often helpless in the face of nature.

Comment

Originally posted by fesstgeek View Post
                  Despite all our science and technology we are often helpless in the face of nature.
                  Not "often", rather always. Those of us who live in " Harms Way" understand and just try to deal as best that we can. That is just a localized perspective. We all, each and everyone of us, no matter where you sleep at night, are helpless in the face of nature sooner or later.

Comment

Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post
                    Rads and Galactic were gearing up to welcome back TU students at Tips.....)
                    That reminds me of a favorite ThreadHead memory.

I had a flight booked down to N.O. on Aug. 30th, two days after landfall, as I was planning on seeing both of those shows that weekend (Galactic was going to play TwiRoPa that night, The Radiators at Tipitinas the following evening)

A few days before, I mentioned here on the board that I was going to be in town for a few days, and wanted to see if any local TH's were planning on either show, or if anyone wanted to maybe meet up for a drink. Our lovely friend Jenn (ibjamn, who I didn't really know aside from chatting with at a few of the meetups at Ms. Lena's during Fest) wrote that her and David were not planning on going to the shows, but she offered to have me over to thier place for a little "Meet the Mormons!" get-together in my honor, along with a few other local thirsty TH's, which remanins one of the sweetest, most thoughtful things anyone has ever offered to do for me.

Of course no one could have ever imagined the nightmare that was about to unfold on the Crescent City and how many lives would be lost, and how many other lives would change forever...

Miss you, Jenn!!!

Comment

Facewhat?

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post

Not "often", rather always. Those of us who live in " Harms Way" understand and just try to deal as best that we can. That is just a localized perspective. We all, each and everyone of us, no matter where you sleep at night, are helpless in the face of nature sooner or later.
                        Yeah, I meant it happens often, and when it does we're helpless--witness the 70+ mph derecho wind storm that came through Chicago last month...three tornadoes in the city and suburbs, no place is really completely safe.

Comment

Working...
                        X