Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

Just don't freebase when your high.
    The “blind hog” strikes again. There’s truth in them there words.
    it’s all gone out of fashion anyway. Sighs.

Comment

I can't remember. Ha ha, joking. My college years were 1968-1972 in Berkeley, so I saw Jimi, CSNY, Clapton, Santana, the Dead, the Stones, Tower of Power, Steve Miller with Boz Scaggs, and on and on and on. It was great!

Comment

While living in the MoLo, on campus in the middle of nowhere Northrrn New England saw Pat Metheny, double Bill of Rick Danko and Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee, Frank Zappa, Outlaws opening for Marshall Tucker, some others I forget. Off campus, Grateful Dead, J Geils, Lionel Hampton, Roomful of Blues, Al Dimeola, Jethro Tull, Jeff Beck, and Santana a few times.

Comment

In New Jersey--On campus: The Pretenders, The Shirts, Blotto, Dave Edmunds, The Ramones with Blue Angel opening (Cyndi Lauper was the lead singer), Ellen Foley, Frank Zappa. Off campus during my college years: the Plasmatics, the Cars, Adam & the Ants, DEVO, The Police, Joe Jackson, Southside Johnny, The Smithereens (many times; they were still just playing local clubs).

Can you guess the decade by the bands?
          Last edited by The Krewe of Chew; 09-01-2020, 11:19 PM.

Comment

During college years? EVERYBODY! (Hendrix, The Band, Howlin Wolf...... & everybody else)
            On campus? Muddy Waters, Albert King, Sun Ra, Sha Na Na (before they even had that name, their first ever gig, Columbia Univ. choral group "the Kingsmen" put on a "Greaser Nite" spring of 69... later to my surprise they showed up at Woodstock as Sha Na Na),Elephant's Memory (pre John Lennon... they had to dumb it down for his songs) Grateful Dead & last but not least the inimitable David Peel & the Lower East Side!
            Probably some more if I ruminate on it a while....

Comment

Originally posted by revjimk View Post
              During college years? EVERYBODY! (Hendrix, The Band, Howlin Wolf...... & everybody else)
              On campus? Muddy Waters, Albert King, Sun Ra, Sha Na Na (before they even had that name, their first ever gig, Columbia Univ. choral group "the Kingsmen" put on a "Greaser Nite" spring of 69... later to my surprise they showed up at Woodstock as Sha Na Na),Elephant's Memory (pre John Lennon... they had to dumb it down for his songs) Grateful Dead & last but not least the inimitable David Peel & the Lower East Side!
              Probably some more if I ruminate on it a while....
              Oh yea, probably The Holy Modal Rounders, & I think Buddy Guy too, hard to remember. Maybe Mothers of Invention? These were all on campus
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S4DDxpTHWs

Comment

Being from NYC we had access to Fillmore East, etc and at college in Long Island a lot of great local bands including The Vagrants with Leslie West, Vanilla Fudge, The Illusion, The Good Rats and The Young Rascals seemed to be everywhere every night.

Comment

Did EVERYBODY go to college ?? This thread reeks of white privilege.......

Comment

Just look at the JF crowd...

Comment

If it makes you feel any better, I flunked out a couple of times. I liked everything about college except, what did you call those things? Oh, yeah, classes.

Comment

Neville Brothers

Branford Marsalis

BeauSoleil avec Michael Doucet

Dirty Dozen Brass Band

David Murray

James Cotton

Chuck Berry

Pharoah Sanders

Etta James

Sun Ra and the Arkestra

Ornette Coleman

Jimmy Cliff

John Fogerty

Bela Fleck & the Flecktones

Traffic

Crosby Stills Nash & Young

Indigo Girls

Tower of Power

Spencer Davis

Los Lobos

Dave Matthews Band

Sting

Carlos Santana

Steve Miller Band

Booker T and the MG's

Jackson Browne

Joan Baez

Bob Dylan

....all either opend for or sat in and played with the Grateful Dead and/or the Jerry Garcia Band at various shows I attended between 1987 and 1995, which I guess is not a bad way to get introduced to music I might have otherwise overlooked as a kid from Salt Lake City who didn't grow up in a family that listened to a lot of diverse music.
                        Last edited by MormonMatthew; 09-05-2020, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post

If it makes you feel any better, I flunked out a couple of times. I liked everything about college except, what did you call those things? Oh, yeah, classes.
                          Me also my brother. Especially those 8:00 a.m. s.o.b.'s Are you kidding me? And as a final straw I had final exams scheduled for my three core classes on a Friday. As it developed Bob Dylan and his girlfriend at the time Joan Baez, were scheduled to appear that same Friday at N.C. State University. That was a "no brainer". Skipped the exams and went to see Robert Zimmerman and Joan. Flunked all three classes, but had a memorable night at N.C. State. You've got to vote with your heart.

Comment

Originally posted by revjimk View Post

Just look at the JF crowd...
                            I would love to right about now !!

For the record Rev, I attend many events and second lines here in the city where I'm one of the few Pale Faces in the crowd. I don't recall seeing YOU at any of them.

Comment

I did a year and a half of part time community college just to keep reality and my Dad off my back. Saw a lot of shows during that time, just none on campus. College of Lake County wasn't known for it's extracurricular activities. It's where a lot of the burnouts went from Libertyville High School. My High School. We told the girls we went to UCLA just to impress them, but to us it stood for "University Closest to Libertyville Area". Marlon Brando and Tom Morrello from Rage Against the Machine were LHS alums.

Comment

I saw all of these at either Foster Aud, Coleman Coliseum or the Strip, a few feet from campus in Tuscaloosa. '89-94

Bob Dylan (2x)
                                ABB (no Dickey)
                                Radiators (2 or 3x)
                                Phish (3x)
                                Widespread Panic (4 or 5x)
                                Aquarium Rescue Unit (2 or 3x)
                                Tom Petty
                                Drivin n Crying
                                Marshall Tucker
                                DMB (3 or 4x)
                                Blind Melon
                                Living Colour
                                Blues Traveler (2 or 3 times)
                                Atl Rhythm Section
                                Last edited by McGregor; 09-01-2020, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X