When i was in college I saw....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Catch View Post

I'm making my list from the mid 70's at Alabama now.
    I made a few of those in the '70's too, we lived there when I was a kid and my dad was in a local band. They were dragging me all over to see music. haha
    Took me to the Dead at the coliseum in '77 (first set).

Comment

Originally posted by McGregor View Post

I made a few of those in the '70's too, we lived there when I was a kid and my dad was in a local band. They were dragging me all over to see music. haha
      Took me to the Dead at the coliseum in '77 (first set).
      Locust Fork band?

Comment

Locust Fork band?
        yep

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

I would love to right about now !!

For the record Rev, I attend many events and second lines here in the city where I'm one of the few Pale Faces in the crowd. I don't recall seeing YOU at any of them.
          A) You don't know what I look like.
          B) I don't live in New Orleans
          C) I go to plenty of zydeco events in SW Louisiana where I'm one of the few light skinned people too
          D) Why do you insist on giving me a hard time?

Comment

Among the so very many, Rahsaan Roland Kirk in a little cafeteria at Univ. of Buffalo. No chairs. Sat on the floor right in front of him, on the 8” high makeshift stage. Could feel him blowing on the multiple flutes, whistles, etc. he had dangling around his neck in addition to his saxes. Oh and also among the many, the Grateful Dead in Cornell’s Barton Hall on May 8th, 1977....

Comment

Another night late 1980 we were very lucky to see some rowdy band that had also come down from Sydney, that then as now supported sensible political ideals.

IE Do not pollute the World for short term gain and long term pain, amongst many other serious issues.

The OILS still tour from time to time and they continue to fight for a better world.

The mighty Midnight Oil were supported that night by INXS who also went on to bigger things, and I think from memory the financial impost was $5

Comment

My college years were 1999 - 2003, and then I went directly into graduate school from 2004 - 2006. I had several circles of friends and all were very into music, and each group gravitated toward different scenes- I liked almost all of it and spent almost all of my non-school, non-working time going to hear music. I ended up at a pretty diverse array of shows most of which I can't even begin to recall. Some stuff that stands out: large scale stuff like Radiohead at Liberty Lands Park a few weeks before the attacks of 9/11, James Brown free and outside the Art Museum of "Unity Day" (I danced on top of folding chairs with a massive grooving diverse crowd. The best!), I went to dozens of raves with my college roommate and she had an in retrospect kind of shady internship with some music production thing that gained us access to some completely wild and us being totally out of place hip hop shows (rest in peace and eternal beauty Stephanie)
                I had an older neighbor who was a music writer for the local indie weekly and he would get me in to literally any show I wanted to go to in Philly- I'd probably need to see the listings from like 2002-2005 to circle the hundreds of concerts I went to. Basically if someone was touring small clubs in cities like Philly during those years I was probably there to see them. I never had much money, but I wasn't much trouble and really enjoyed checking out new things, so I was fortunate to meet cool people. It also meant that I had a reliable pipeline for plus ones to the big venue shows as well. It was a good life!
                Then I ended up moving into an apartment above a really great small stage music venue. This venue booked jazz, funk and world music which was perfectly timed for me as I was getting deeper into music with that sort of groove. I was a trustworthy and friendly neighbor and the owner basically put me on the standing guest list for anything I wanted to go to. He'd call me if he was short staffed and I'd lend a hand at the door handling ticketing or ID checking. So I was exposed to a lot of the great music that was touring small clubs in the early 2000s - particularly a lot of the jazz and funk that we still see at Jazz Fest.

Comment

Concerts I saw Liza Minelli, Cheech and Chong
                  If that had been a double bill, you would have won the internet for life.

---

The Oils were on fire in the mid 80's. The Diesel tour stop at the Fillmore ranks up in the top. One of the few bands that marries politics and music well.

Comment

Originally posted by Meters Fan View Post

If that had been a double bill, you would have won the internet for life.

---

The Oils were on fire in the mid 80's. The Diesel tour stop at the Fillmore ranks up in the top. One of the few bands that marries politics and music well.
                    I have seen a lot of concerts but that Liza Minelli show gave me the chill bumps and I was just a 20 something kid. Gotta be in the top 2 for me and it's hard to find a better show.

Comment

Originally posted by macintosh View Post
                      The Allmans opening for BB King. Springsteen opening for Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. The New York Dolls opening for the Byrds.
                      I like this trend even better. I saw the J. Geils Band with this little quartet called U2 opening up for them.

Comment

I saw Henny Youngman open for NRBQ. No shit.

Comment

The Clash many times , Generation X , Ian Dury and the Blockheads ,The Rezillos , The Boomtown Rats , The Stranglers , Bowie , The Ramones , Gang of Four ,
                          Elvis Costello, The Stones, The Jam

Comment

Captain Beefheart with Ry Cooder as the opening act, some theater in VA.

Miles Davis, Bottom Line, NY.

Merle Haggard, Shady Grove, MD (i think)

all when i was in college, not at my actual college
                            Last edited by Zenwinemaster; 09-15-2020, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X