When i was in college I saw....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When i was in college I saw....

in no particular order NRBQ, Jonathan Edwards, Livingston Taylor and the Ramones. All on my college campus. I even did security on stage for the Ramones set.
    The one really cool thing i remember from all those was Livingston Taylor walking into the venue and sitting down and playing (do soundcheck). A couple years after i graduated i saw Warren Zevon. This was an old fashioned rock show. No light shows, no pyro. Just Warren, his band and a couple of follow spots Loved it.

Thread drift of sorts but it just popped into my mind. Anyone else here ever go to see Richard Pryor live? For me it was post college but a lot of fun. I probably was not the only caucasian in the crowd but there were not many of us. Small theatre in Washington DC that was located in and catered to the other race. James Brown was another good one there.
    Last edited by 20/20; 08-31-2020, 02:36 PM. Reason: Details add to the story

Comment

Fun to reminisce. The ones I remember are The Kinks and Squeeze, at the county arena in the next county over; The Hooters at the other college across town; and Elvis Costello at our on-campus hockey arena. And my one before-they-were-big boast, the Red Hot Chili Peppers at a 150-person club in town.
      Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Firsttimer4Evah View Post
        All on my college campus.
        Over the years at the University of Utah (in the foothills overlooking Salt Lake City) I had the opportunity to enjoy many great bands while I was a student there, and many, many more in the years since, as several years back they started a annual Summer Concert Series at an outdoor arboretum and ampitheater adjacent to campus.

Off the top of my head, shows that took place on campus while I was a student in the late 1980's-early 90's included Steel Pulse, Los Lobos, X (with the Meat Puppets opening up), Branford Marsalis Quartet, Bela Fleck & the Flecktones and a pretty intense triple bill featuring Sonic Youth, Social Distortion and Neil Young & Crazy Horse in the cavernous basketball arena, which still remains about the single loudest concert I have ever been to. I know there are more I am forgetting, but the majority of shows in Salt Lake are held at various ski resorts surrounding the city in the summertime or in clubs, theaters and bars downtown, not on campus, as due to Utah's infamous wierdo liquor laws, no alcohol is allowed on university property.

Finally, a couple of months after I finished up my bachelor's degree, I flew back to NYC for what would end up being the Grateful Dead's final shows at Madison Square Garden in October 1994, and then the night after the last Dead show we went to the legendary Roseland Ballroom for an intimate (at least by New York CIty standards, I imagine) Bob Dylan show that saw Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen come out together to play on the double encore of "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35" and "Highway 61 Revisited". The next morning I was on a flight back to Salt Lake, as the day after that I had tickets(along with with dozens of old friends) for my 1st Rolling Stones show at Rice Stadium, the University of Utah's huge football stadium, which was actually the first time there had ever been a concert held there (I know that there have been a couple of shows there in the years since including U2 and maybe The Eagles?) and also marked the first time The Stones had played in Utah since sometime in the late 1960's. It was easily the "biggest" BNA show in Salt Lake's history, the entire state was buzzing, (the morning of the show, my very religious parents' congregation was treated to a sermon about the perils of Rock 'n' Roll, unbeknownst to our neighbors, my straightlaced Mom & Dad had paid for my Stones ticket as my birthday present a couple of weeks before) and it served as a fine and fitting cap to both a truly amazing week of music and my University of Utah experience as a whole.
        Last edited by MormonMatthew; 08-31-2020, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Kinks, Stevie Wonder, Greg Allman, Ray Charles, Count Basie, Doc Watson, Sly and The Family Stone, Canned Heat, Gordon Lightfoot, The Beach Boys, The Allman Brothers (with and without Berry and Duane), The Grateful Dead, Dr. John, Jethro Tull, Elton John, John Mayall, Leon Russell, Albert King, Little Feat, Bonnie Raitt. There are many others,but those immediately spring to mind. No I didn't see NRBQ or The Stones until after graduation in '75.
          Last edited by Kemp; 08-31-2020, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post
            Thread drift of sorts but it just popped into my mind. Anyone else here ever go to see Richard Pryor live? For me it was post college but a lot of fun. I probably was not the only caucasian in the crowd but there were not many of us. Small theatre in Washington DC that was located in and catered to the other race. James Brown was another good one there.
            I like this thread and I'm not trying to contribute to drift, but I'm reading a great book about Pryor now, Furious Cool by David and Joe Henry. Highly recommended. What a life and what a talent. This book especially seems relevant now as America..., well, "it is what it is". An eye and mind opening read.
            Last edited by Kemp; 08-31-2020, 03:32 PM.

Comment

If for no other reason Richard was important to my life and I am forever grateful for his teaching me the dangers associated with "freebasing".

Comment

When I was in college in Austin, I saw: Miles Davis, Jaco Pastorious, Buddy Guy (six times), Junior Wells (three times), Albert King (four times), Paul Butterfield, Toshiko Akiokshi Orchestra, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Gene Ramey, Arnett Cobb, and Mose Allison.
                Last edited by kh1958; 08-31-2020, 04:04 PM.

Comment

When i was in college I used to go to Benny's Bar on Camp & Valence

Comment

The Allmans opening for BB King. Springsteen opening for Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. The New York Dolls opening for the Byrds.

Comment

I'm looking at ticket stubs; my memory isn't that good. Just on-campus shows at the University of Florida:

Paid shows: Pat Benatar, Grateful Dead, Charlie Daniels, Elvis Costello, Frank Zappa, Stray Cats
                      Free outdoor shows: Talking Heads, Southside Johnny (Dr. John opened), Psychedelic Furs/Gang of Four, Greg Allman, Wendy O Williams and the Plasmatics (found out much later that Festngator was there).
                      After three years in the real world I went back for grad school. Free shows then: X/Warren Zevon, B-52s, the Wailers, Beat Farmers.

Originally posted by swag View Post
                      ...And my one before-they-were-big boast, the Red Hot Chili Peppers at a 150-person club in town.
                      Could have seen them at Jimmy's when I lived in NOLA but didn't go. Then missed them the first time they played UF in the ballroom at the student union. Shut down for time/volume/partial nudity so they finished the set at a bottle club at 4 am that night. Finally saw them in the back yard of a frat house; free beer! Got shut down early due to volume. Second time I saw them was at a small club in town.

Comment

'72 and '73 of the legendary Ann Arbor Jazz and Blues Festival. First afternoon, the girls in front of us dropped acid and took off their clothes--I knew then college was going to be okay.Weather Report with Jaco, Sly and Family Stone, and the great orchestras at Hill Auditorium. Saw lots of folkies at the still-going Ark. Favorite rock shows were J Geils over in Detroit. Got to know my future wife by sharing a sleeping bag in line for Moody Blues tickets. It sure was a shame we also had to study sometimes. Drinking age was 18 (to make up for that draft card in my pocket) and weed was basically legal. John Lennon came in to help "Free John Sinclair" the music promotor. My daughter has moved back to Ann Arbor, where we were both born, and the town still rocks. However, the biggest names in music seem to now all go to Detroit and UM seems to sponsor fewer shows.
                        Last edited by stooped; 08-31-2020, 06:02 PM.

Comment

I recall a free concert by The Psychedelic Furs. I did not go to many shows, but two shows I do remember were Joe Jackson and David Bowie on his Serious Moonlight Tour.

Comment

Originally posted by Headless Hornman View Post
                            Free outdoor shows
                            Oh yeah, I forgot the free on-campus end of spring semester party. The three I remember were George Thorogood, Southside Johnny, and Robert Cray.
                            Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post
                              If for no other reason Richard was important to my life and I am forever grateful for his teaching me the dangers associated with "freebasing".
                              Just don't freebase when your high.

Comment

Working...
                              X