Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

Well....nine, but who's counting.
      damnit

I was never good at math.

Comment

Originally posted by McGregor View Post

damnit

I was never good at math.
        Well, if were being mathematical, it would be 9 and a half.

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

Well, if were being mathematical, it would be 9 and a half.
          I think Barbie once said, "Math is hard!" Seems like maybe she got in trouble for it or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post

I think Barbie once said, "Math is hard!" Seems like maybe she got in trouble for it or something.
            Interesting deduction.

Comment

Coming back to the original theme - a little philosophy. "Make it big" = popularity or financial success? I have had this same question, "why didn't ___ make it big?", about musicians, restaurants, visual artists, actors, and all kind of creative endeavors. In addition to all of the other factors (the industry, timing, drugs, etc.), don't forget that the "biggest" (most successful) restaurant in the world is McDonalds. The most successful beer is Budweiser. People's taste, or lack thereof, is a huge factor. I think what people are really lamenting is that more people do not appreciate the artists that we appreciate - not for validation of our tastes, but to have the wonderful artists that we love get some more love and appreciation for their art.

I would add Zachary Richard to the list.

Comment

Originally posted by chazmo View Post
                Coming back to the original theme - a little philosophy. "Make it big" = popularity or financial success? I have had this same question, "why didn't ___ make it big?", about musicians, restaurants, visual artists, actors, and all kind of creative endeavors. In addition to all of the other factors (the industry, timing, drugs, etc.), don't forget that the "biggest" (most successful) restaurant in the world is McDonalds. The most successful beer is Budweiser. People's taste, or lack thereof, is a huge factor. I think what people are really lamenting is that more people do not appreciate the artists that we appreciate - not for validation of our tastes, but to have the wonderful artists that we love get some more love and appreciation for their art.

I would add Zachary Richard to the list.
                Well stated. I'm not really looking to have my own personal tastes validated. I know there are many artists whom others admire that I don't, but the fact that I don't care for them doesn't diminish their talent or appeal to others. My original post wasn't about what we consider the "second tier" musicians and bands who play Fest like Anders, Samantha, Tab, Sonny, Trombone Shorty, Bonerama, Shamar and others, but about the others who are as talented but who never even got on that rung. Some on that level gave me as significant musical experiences as anyone I just mentioned or any big BNA that ever played Jazz Fest.

Comment

Sometime around 2004 I was helping put on a talent showcase in Dallas. After a few mediocre bands, I caught a then 12 year old girl named Kayla Reeves. Singing to a mostly empty room, the raw talent was obvious as soon as she opened her mouth. Covering blues and soul standards, she had the sort of voice that coming from such a young performer makes you think, this girl is gonna be a star.

She played a few local festivals in the years that followed, but much to my (selfish) disappointment, in 2010, still a teenager, she was discovered and signed on with Trans Siberian Orchestra. Now if I wanted to see her, I'd have to travel to another city (she's on the "East" TSO tour) and pay big bucks for a tough ticket, where she shares the spotlight with several others. But great for her, a steady gig, a nice paycheck, without the hustle of trying to book shows and promote her own career. It does mean her name isn't known, which seems to qualify for this thread.

Here's a couple of recent videos: the Joplin cover that I guess every female blues singer must have, and for something very different, Whitesnake.

Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post
                    But great for her, a steady gig, a nice paycheck, without the hustle of trying to book shows and promote her own career. It does mean her name isn't known, which seems to qualify for this thread.
                    This post conjured up Cassandra Faulconer's move out of the band van and to Cirque de Soleil (which might still be a van, but a much more genteel version, I'm sure). And you could add that this kind of career move might require less cos-play female rocker dress-up - unless you wanted to, I suppose.

Comment

Any of you San Francisco old timers remember Ace of Cups? I was unfamiliar with them; the short documentary here is interesting. They're releasing a new album!

https://boingboing.net/2020/09/28/ne...e-of-cups.html

Comment

I knew of them, and I’d seen a story about their reunion - very cool that they remained close to their Haight roots and the musical friends they met during the summer of love and the years that followed. I can’t help but think of my hometown’s very own Fanny when I see the “girl group” stories - how were they not bigger? My favorite version of Marvin Gaye’s Ain’t That Peculiar is still Pete Anderson’s (his wonky-rhythm, dare I say Q-ish, arrangement brings a smile every time), but Fanny’s hit cover stripped away the Motown and took it straight to Delaney & Bonnie territory.

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post
                          I knew of them, and I’d seen a story about their reunion - very cool that they remained close to their Haight roots and the musical friends they met during the summer of love and the years that followed. I can’t help but think of my hometown’s very own Fanny when I see the “girl group” stories - how were they not bigger? My favorite version of Marvin Gaye’s Ain’t That Peculiar is still Pete Anderson’s (his wonky-rhythm, dare I say Q-ish, arrangement brings a smile every time), but Fanny’s hit cover stripped away the Motown and took it straight to Delaney & Bonnie territory.

Fanny are, indeed, overlooked. What you can find of them on recordings and Youtube are worth a listen and a look. Check out Fanny.

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post

For fans of organ jazz, those early-90’s records with Joey DeFrancesco are mind-blowing, especially when you consider that Joey’s 49 now - the same age Danny was when he died. I have a “few”, but my favorite Danny platter might be Cruisin’ Deuces. In 3 songs he goes from tour-de-force Harlem Nocturne to the new-standard cover of Thirteen Women to Sky King.
                            Another thank you Duende. I enjoyed Cruisin Deuces quite a bit, the Harlem Nocture in particular, but the record with Danny Gatton and Joey DeFrancesco? Relentless? Arrived Friday evening here at the house. That's a goddam masterpiece, geniuses at work for sure. I haven't moved it into the car yet, but no other CD can crack the mancave rotation since Relentless arrived.

Comment

Working...
                            X