Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Local Bands You Saw That You Think Could Have/Should Have Made It Big

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

    Well....nine, but who's counting.
    The blind hog strikes yet again

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

      Well....nine, but who's counting.
      damnit

      I was never good at math.

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by McGregor View Post

        damnit

        I was never good at math.
        Well, if were being mathematical, it would be 9 and a half.

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

          Well, if were being mathematical, it would be 9 and a half.
          I think Barbie once said, "Math is hard!" Seems like maybe she got in trouble for it or something.

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by Kemp View Post

            I think Barbie once said, "Math is hard!" Seems like maybe she got in trouble for it or something.
            Interesting deduction.

            Comment


            • #81
              Coming back to the original theme - a little philosophy. "Make it big" = popularity or financial success? I have had this same question, "why didn't ___ make it big?", about musicians, restaurants, visual artists, actors, and all kind of creative endeavors. In addition to all of the other factors (the industry, timing, drugs, etc.), don't forget that the "biggest" (most successful) restaurant in the world is McDonalds. The most successful beer is Budweiser. People's taste, or lack thereof, is a huge factor. I think what people are really lamenting is that more people do not appreciate the artists that we appreciate - not for validation of our tastes, but to have the wonderful artists that we love get some more love and appreciation for their art.

              I would add Zachary Richard to the list.

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by chazmo View Post
                Coming back to the original theme - a little philosophy. "Make it big" = popularity or financial success? I have had this same question, "why didn't ___ make it big?", about musicians, restaurants, visual artists, actors, and all kind of creative endeavors. In addition to all of the other factors (the industry, timing, drugs, etc.), don't forget that the "biggest" (most successful) restaurant in the world is McDonalds. The most successful beer is Budweiser. People's taste, or lack thereof, is a huge factor. I think what people are really lamenting is that more people do not appreciate the artists that we appreciate - not for validation of our tastes, but to have the wonderful artists that we love get some more love and appreciation for their art.

                I would add Zachary Richard to the list.
                Well stated. I'm not really looking to have my own personal tastes validated. I know there are many artists whom others admire that I don't, but the fact that I don't care for them doesn't diminish their talent or appeal to others. My original post wasn't about what we consider the "second tier" musicians and bands who play Fest like Anders, Samantha, Tab, Sonny, Trombone Shorty, Bonerama, Shamar and others, but about the others who are as talented but who never even got on that rung. Some on that level gave me as significant musical experiences as anyone I just mentioned or any big BNA that ever played Jazz Fest.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Sometime around 2004 I was helping put on a talent showcase in Dallas. After a few mediocre bands, I caught a then 12 year old girl named Kayla Reeves. Singing to a mostly empty room, the raw talent was obvious as soon as she opened her mouth. Covering blues and soul standards, she had the sort of voice that coming from such a young performer makes you think, this girl is gonna be a star.

                  She played a few local festivals in the years that followed, but much to my (selfish) disappointment, in 2010, still a teenager, she was discovered and signed on with Trans Siberian Orchestra. Now if I wanted to see her, I'd have to travel to another city (she's on the "East" TSO tour) and pay big bucks for a tough ticket, where she shares the spotlight with several others. But great for her, a steady gig, a nice paycheck, without the hustle of trying to book shows and promote her own career. It does mean her name isn't known, which seems to qualify for this thread.

                  Here's a couple of recent videos: the Joplin cover that I guess every female blues singer must have, and for something very different, Whitesnake.



                  Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by swag View Post
                    But great for her, a steady gig, a nice paycheck, without the hustle of trying to book shows and promote her own career. It does mean her name isn't known, which seems to qualify for this thread.
                    This post conjured up Cassandra Faulconer's move out of the band van and to Cirque de Soleil (which might still be a van, but a much more genteel version, I'm sure). And you could add that this kind of career move might require less cos-play female rocker dress-up - unless you wanted to, I suppose.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X