Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turner Classic Movies showing music documentaries all day and night today (Labor Day)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CEfromLA View Post
    About the Leon Russell Doc.....
    Awhile back, we watched a documentary about a club in the warehouse district that hosted every big act that passed through N.O.
    It looked to us, that a lot of the footage in the documentary was filmed there (oddly, we recognized the rafters).
    Can anyone confirm this? The credits and Wiki were no help....
    I'm assuming that would be 'The Warehouse'. Torn down years ago. Was on Tchoupitoulas, if I remember correctly.

Comment

Enjoyed Woodstock last night. Hadn't seen it in years. A few takeaways.....

1) the performances were incredible, considering how high everybody was.
      2) Hendrix had evolved big time since the Monterey performance I watched the night before.
      3) The crowd was whiter than even Jazz Fest ( sorry Rev ).
      4) Those hippies sure trashed the place. Nasty garbage everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

Yeah he was good when I saw him in the 70s but I was a few years late to catch him at his peak. I saw him a few times years later but he always played that lame sounding keyboard and obviously had health issues.
        Yeah, I saw him a couple of times with that ringing electronic keyboard and his son shaking an inaudible African drum of some sort. I saw him twice in a couple of years and got the exact same show twice. There were, however, a few flashes of the old genius in those shows. Later, I caught him at the much maligned (on this Forum, at least) Gretna Fest with a full band for a much better experience. He had quite a life with more musical contributions than we will probably ever know. He gave terrible interviews so it was difficult to learn as much as I, for one, would like to know. Didn't care much for that collaboration with Elton in later years.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post

Yeah, I saw him a couple of times with that ringing electronic keyboard and his son shaking an inaudible African drum of some sort. I saw him twice in a couple of years and got the exact same show twice. There were, however, a few flashes of the old genius in those shows. Later, I caught him at the much maligned (on this Forum, at least) Gretna Fest with a full band for a much better experience. He had quite a life with more musical contributions than we will probably ever know. He gave terrible interviews so it was difficult to learn as much as I, for one, would like to know. Didn't care much for that collaboration with Elton in later years.
          I saw him for the last time when TTB brought him out to play Space Captain at The Beacon a while back. He played a real piano and sounded great.

Never had any desire to go to Gretna Fest. No one that I really want to see ever plays.

Comment

I had intended to respond to Kemp and jjazznj by offering up my recollections of Leon and TTB and the others and their recreation of the "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" show at Lockn' but I came across a review that says what I would have and probably better. It was a splendid show and one of the best that I have ever seen. Leon was just a shell of his former self, really just akin to a stage prop, but it was still Leon Russell up there and that gave it gravitas. Derek Trucks was the one who made it all possible. He is such a wonderful and giving man and bandleader. He is a "bandleader", not just a lead guitarist. I have just so much respect for him. His collaboration's at Lockn' have always just been over the top. Below is the review;

Mad Dogs & Englishmen Tribute At Lockn’ Festival
            • Sep 18, 2015

The Lockn’ Festival garnered a reputation for once-in-a-lifetime collaborations over its first two installments, but last weekend’s festival took it to a whole new level. While Jimmy Cliff & Widespread Panic, Santana & Phil Lesh and Friends, the Jefferson Airplane 50th Anniversary tribute and Bob Weir & Billy The Kids all came off well, it was the Mad Dogs & Englishmen/Joe Cocker tribute which stood out as the best of the bunch and arguably of the festival season.

Guitarists Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi put the tribute together which at points saw dozens of musicians on stage. The Tedeschi Trucks Band served as a house band of sorts with contributions from 11 alumnus of Cocker’s famed early ’70s tour including Leon Russell, Rita Coolidge and Claudia Lennear as well as a bevy of special guests.

The 17-song set saw appearances from a number of guests who were announced leading into the performance such as Dave Mason, who absolutely crushed “Feelin’ Alright,” and Chris Robinson, who led a passionate rendition of “Space Captain.” As if the set wasn’t insane enough, it also featured a pair of unannounced guests with Widespread Panic frontman John Bellfronting the ensemble on a transcendent “Delta Lady” and Warren Haynes dueling it out with Anders Osborne on “She Came In Through The Bathroom Window.”

Watch full set, fan-shot video of the Mad Dogs & Englishmen Tribute set at Lockn’ Festival captured by evensteveco (bear in mind the video starts a bit out of focus but the issue is quickly corrected):
            Setlist

Set: The Letter (lead vocals: Susan Tedeschi), Darlin’ Be Home Soon (lead vocals, Susan Tedeschi), Cry Me A River (lead vocals, Claudia Lennear), Girl From the North Country (lead vocals: Leon Russell & Claudia Lennear), Dixie Lullaby (lead vocals: Leon Russell), Bird On a Wire (lead vocals: Rita Coolidge), The Weight (shared vocals, Pamela Polland, Leon Russell, Rita Coolidge, Susan Tedeschi, Claudia Lennear), Superstar (lead vocals Rita Coolidge), Delta Lady (lead vocals: John Bell ), Lets Go Get Stoned (vocals Susan Tedeschi, Alecia Chakour, Mike Mattison (TTB), Mark Rivers (TTB), Something (lead vocals Doyle Bramhall II), She Came in Through the Bathroom Window (lead vocals Warren Haynes w/ guitarist Anders Osborne), Feelin’ Alright (lead vocals: Dave Mason w/ guitarist Anders Osborne), Sticks & Stones (lead vocals Chris Robinson), Space Captain (lead vocals: Chris Robinson, Susan Tedeschi)

Encore: The Ballad of Mad Dogs & Englishmen (vocals: Leon Russell), With A Little Help from My Friends (lead vocals Susan Tedeschi, Chris Robinson)

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
              Enjoyed Woodstock last night. Hadn't seen it in years. A few takeaways.....

1) the performances were incredible, considering how high everybody was.
              2) Hendrix had evolved big time since the Monterey performance I watched the night before.
              3) The crowd was whiter than even Jazz Fest ( sorry Rev ).
              4) Those hippies sure trashed the place. Nasty garbage everywhere.
              My take-away was ....that's someone's grandma skinny dipping!!!!

Comment

Go Go Mania was largely a waste, except for two Animals tracks and this beauty from Spencer Davis Group, which cracked me up because Steve Winwood seems to come out of nowhere and next thing you know it's clear that he is by far the talent in the band:

Comment

From my recollection the only person that bagged Gretna Fest was the same person that used to portray himself as the defender of the meek, mild and disadvantaged when it suited him to do so.
                  Then from time to time he would bag people from the other side of the River if Gretna and Wednesday on the Point were mentioned.
                  This was also the same person that thought it was funny to belittle Benny Boys musical taste when he was battling illness.

RE Leon I saw him at Gretna and several times in the year preceding that and I am very lucky that I was able to do so. As all the shows were good
                  One of his gigs at Byron he seemed to be almost inspired by others musos of his vintage that were playing there as well and the show was a delight to see.

RE Gretna Fest I have seen some good stuff there over the years, but not as much recently as it has clashed with Bogalusa Blues Festival, although we came back in addled state a couple of years back to see a cool gig by the B52s. A while back in a rather wasted state I was wrapped to hear ZZ Top playing Jesus Left Chicago right over the river from Nola.
                  I used to catch up with Kenny when he was taking time off from w#rking over there and we saw a very bad version of Blood Sweat and Tears featuring a lead singer from some talent show, yet another time we were pleasantly surprised with how well Paul Rodgers could belt out some of the old Bad Company tunes. Greg Allman also put on a great show that year I reckon. I missed Blue Oyster Cult when they played years ago, which is a bummer, and I did not hear if they were good or bad. I do remember that Chicago Transit Authority were so wimpy I headed back to the big old ferry and it took about 2o minutes to leave and we copped another of their soppy songs and then just as we started getting out of earshot, they played Im a Man, oh well. Another time we were watching Tab Benoit who briefly was competing with the last minutes of a Saints game.
                  There have been a variety of headliners that I have never watched but I have never failed to have a good time when I have been there

In the 12 years or so that I have been going I have seen a diverse range of local acts on some of the smaller stages including from memory Honey Island on the great stage on the river front, Vanessa Niemann in one of the small bars, Pauly Sanchez on the Post Office stage and others like Anders, Alan Toussaint and so it goes. It has always been well priced and you can find cheapish decent beer if you search hard I really wish I was able to head back over there next month.

Comment

Originally posted by Gards View Post

From my recollection the only person that bagged Gretna Fest was the same person that used to portray himself as the defender of the meek, mild and disadvantaged when it suited him to do so.
                    Then from time to time he would bag people from the other side of the River if Gretna and Wednesday on the Point were mentioned.
                    This was also the same person that thought it was funny to belittle Benny Boys musical taste when he was battling illness.

RE Leon I saw him at Gretna and several times in the year preceding that and I am very lucky that I was able to do so. As all the shows were good
                    One of his gigs at Byron he seemed to be almost inspired by others musos of his vintage that were playing there as well and the show was a delight to see.

RE Gretna Fest I have seen some good stuff there over the years, but not as much recently as it has clashed with Bogalusa Blues Festival, although we came back in addled state a couple of years back to see a cool gig by the B52s. A while back in a rather wasted state I was wrapped to hear ZZ Top playing Jesus Left Chicago right over the river from Nola.
                    I used to catch up with Kenny when he was taking time off from w#rking over there and we saw a very bad version of Blood Sweat and Tears featuring a lead singer from some talent show, yet another time we were pleasantly surprised with how well Paul Rodgers could belt out some of the old Bad Company tunes. Greg Allman also put on a great show that year I reckon. I missed Blue Oyster Cult when they played years ago, which is a bummer, and I did not hear if they were good or bad. I do remember that Chicago Transit Authority were so wimpy I headed back to the big old ferry and it took about 2o minutes to leave and we copped another of their soppy songs and then just as we started getting out of earshot, they played Im a Man, oh well. Another time we were watching Tab Benoit who briefly was competing with the last minutes of a Saints game.
                    There have been a variety of headliners that I have never watched but I have never failed to have a good time when I have been there

In the 12 years or so that I have been going I have seen a diverse range of local acts on some of the smaller stages including from memory Honey Island on the great stage on the river front, Vanessa Niemann in one of the small bars, Pauly Sanchez on the Post Office stage and others like Anders, Alan Toussaint and so it goes. It has always been well priced and you can find cheapish decent beer if you search hard I really wish I was able to head back over there next month.
                    Yeah. I've only been a couple of times, and always had a good time. I've heard some good local and national stuff. It's a great event for families because they have amusement rides for the kiddies. Those who trash The West Bank have done nothing to diminish my love of the place. I should be there by Monday, and can't wait despite all the weirdness of the times.

Comment

Ah....mluke/fake Quint. Probably ran home to Pittsburg when his illegal Airbnb's tanked from Covid. Good riddance.

Comment

Ah....mluke/fake Quint. Probably ran home to Pittsburg when his illegal Airbnb's tanked from Covid. Good riddance.
                        This old Bored isn't the same without him, is it?

Comment

This old Bored isn't the same without him, is it?
                          Lets bring him back for a spell. Remember this one, where he didn't even know the boundaries of Treme. He is now listed as guest, for some reason. Swag ??

https://www.jazzfestforum.com/forum/...music-in-treme

Comment

Lets bring him back for a spell. Remember this one, where he didn't even know the boundaries of Treme. He is now listed as guest, for some reason. Swag ??

Careful what you wish for.

Comment

Luke/Quint never left. He’s still lurking.

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post

Luke/Quint never left. He’s still lurking.
                                We must be forever vigilant.

Comment

Working...
                                X