Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turner Classic Movies showing music documentaries all day and night today (Labor Day)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kemp View Post

We must be forever vigilant.
    Be alert not alarmed

Comment

Yeah. I've only been a couple of times, and always had a good time. I've heard some good local and national stuff. It's a great event for families because they have amusement rides for the kiddies. Those who trash The West Bank have done nothing to diminish my love of the place. I should be there by Monday, and can't wait despite all the weirdness of the times.
      Hope that the Banana tree is behaving when you get there and please enjoy your time.

Can you please advise some of the residents and guests on both sides of the River to have a spell from shooting each other for a while.

I wish I could go go anywhere. We are currently still in a strict lockdown to try and get rid of the second wave of Covid, which needs to be done.
      It was back to 52 cases yesterday which is an improvement

You are not meant to go more than 3 miles from home for work or exercise unless you have a permit for essential work, which does cover a lot of stuff. And our internal borders are shut to anyone from my home State which has about 6 million people in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gards View Post

Hope that the Banana tree is behaving when you get there and please enjoy your time.

Can you please advise some of the residents and guests on both sides of the River to have a spell from shooting each other for a while.

I wish I could go go anywhere. We are currently still in a strict lockdown to try and get rid of the second wave of Covid, which needs to be done.
        It was back to 52 cases yesterday which is an improvement

You are not meant to go more than 3 miles from home for work or exercise unless you have a permit for essential work, which does cover a lot of stuff. And our internal borders are shut to anyone from my home State which has about 6 million people in it.
        Thanks. I'll do the best I can. Sounds like your country is taking strict measures to control this thing. Thankfully, we have a Prez who doesn't want to promote Widespread Panic, which I know some on the Bored will appreciate. The Banana Wars were won a few years ago, but we must be forever vigilant.

Comment

Between TCM and the Rhythm & Roots streaming fest it was a fine music weekend!

BTW- Now I "get" The Mavericks!

Comment

Originally posted by ohio View Post
            Between TCM and the Rhythm & Roots streaming fest it was a fine music weekend!

BTW- Now I "get" The Mavericks!
            It’s about time, my friend!

“Sometimes you see the light in the strangest of places...”

Comment

Thanks. I'll do the best I can. Sounds like your country is taking strict measures to control this thing. Thankfully, we have a Prez who doesn't want to promote Widespread Panic, which I know some on the Bored will appreciate. The Banana Wars were won a few years ago, but we must be forever vigilant.
              Unfortunately the bulk of the cases have been concentrated in Metro Melbourne but so be it, the measures that are in place here in Melbourne have to be done and 99 percent of people are wearing Masks as they should and are obliged to by law.
              We have now got it down to 42 new cases today in the whole state. I think the most we had before we went in to this serious 5 week so far lockdown, was about 900 a day.
              So it is working but people are still complaining. It is a great pity that other places have not tried so hard to contain this bloody thing.

Comment

Originally posted by steeleye View Post

It’s about time, my friend!

“Sometimes you see the light in the strangest of places...”
                Ha!
                Hiya M

Comment

Originally posted by Gards View Post
                  We have now got it down to 42 new cases today in the whole state. I think the most we had before we went in to this serious 5 week so far lockdown, was about 900 a day. So it is working but people are still complaining. It is a great pity that other places have not tried so hard to contain this bloody thing.
                  I just read Thailand is down to zero or next to zero cases in 100 days. Because they took it seriously!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post

I just read Thailand is down to zero or next to zero cases in 100 days. Because they took it seriously!!!
                    Excellent reefer also.

Comment

I trust that this is correct. I have a few friends that live in Siam and one of them has been there for nearly 30 years and is reasonably well connected to serious business people via the big Asian promoters that he knows. I will email him this arvo to get his take on it. I have spent a fair bit of time there and I wonder how they would get a handle on the virus in semi rural and other areas, factoring how close they live together etc. But I certainly hope that they have got it under control.
                      As for my home State of Victoria we have it down to 42 cases today and for the first day in months we had no deaths.
                      So the tough restrictions are working, and the people that are complaining about them need to pull their heads in.
                      I Understand that heaps of people are hurting financially, but it is better than being Brown Bread. Plus the other thing to factor in, is that the long term side effects to those that have and then recover from Covid are completely unknown

Comment

You end up sounding like a broken record but I have heard doctors say a one month total shutdown in the US could eliminate the virus by giving it nowhere to spread. Instead of tackling it like that as has been done in places that have had success, we still have maskless gatherings, with our fooking President doing it all the time, and the virus continues to spread, leaving us in this limbo. Needless to say, if this had been done early on...

Comment

You end up sounding like a broken record but I have heard doctors say a one month total shutdown in the US could eliminate the virus by giving it nowhere to spread. Instead of tackling it like that as has been done in places that have had success, we still have maskless gatherings, with our fooking President doing it all the time, and the virus continues to spread, leaving us in this limbo. Needless to say, if this had been done early on...
                          Why I've been puzzling about this, I don't know - nobody's checking with us about our thoughts on the matter. But, I did think on it some and I wonder if a nationwide lockdown of 60 days would be enough to isolate wanderers, get through 2-3 generations of asymptomatic cycles, attend to those contaminated by family members, and hope for the best with essential workers preparing/delivering food, truckers, transportation employees, etc. Then, it'd be tamped-down, flare-ups would be easily identified, and tracing theoretically could point to those who need an additional time-out. But... the virus would still be present, just not spreading wildly from host-to-host. Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk!

Back to the TCM concerts films - the Hendrix at Monterey film brought some interesting memories back. I laughed when I went to my first Monterey Blues Fest, and then again when I went to a weekend of Further shows at the fairgrounds many years later. THIS place? THIS is where they held Monterey Pop? Tiny by anyone's measure. And impossible to fit in the zip-ties chairs they covered the floor with! I was last to our seated section during the Blues festival, there were 5 of us, and when I went to sit, the other 4 guys were completely filling the 5 seats we had tix for. I wandered the walkways below the box seats on the side of the venue, and during an act change, I heard a voice from a box a few rows up ask if I wanted to sit. I walked up the steps and BAM! it was Buddy Ace, who was on the bill that weekend - he had a box to himself and waved me in. I felt a "little" under-dressed sitting in my jeans & t-shirt, but he never frowned or winced, so I stayed for the show!
                          Last edited by duende; 09-15-2020, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post
                            Back to the TCM concerts films - the Hendrix at Monterey film brought some interesting memories back. I laughed when I went to my first Monterey Blues Fest, and then again when I went to a weekend of Further shows at the fairgrounds many years later. THIS place? THIS is where they held Monterey Pop? Tiny by anyone's measure. And impossible to fit in the zip-ties chairs they covered the floor with! I was last to our seated section during the Blues festival, there were 5 of us, and when I went to sit, the other 4 guys were completely filling the 5 seats we had tix for. I wandered the walkways below the box seats on the side of the venue, and during an act change, I heard a voice from a box a few rows up ask if I wanted to sit. I walked up the steps and BAM! it was Buddy Ace, who was on the bill that weekend - he had a box to himself and waved me in. I felt a "little" under-dressed sitting in my jeans & t-shirt, but he never frowned or winced, so I stayed for the show!
                            I had tickets to the Monterey Jazz Festival for almost 40 years so I spent a LOT of time in that Arena. One thing I like about the movie is to see it again and juxstapose my memories. It is a very special place to me as is the Grounds having spent some of the best days of my life there.

Comment

Working...
                            X