ODDS OF A 2021 NOJF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

I did see The Stones twice in 2019, here in NOLA and at Met Life in NJ. Had a blast at both shows, thought they were better in NJ but overall they are many years past their prime. It's more about the songs and having a good time and thinking it will be the last time.
    Agree.

Comment

• Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
      As an aside, I played a gig on the Northshore this weekend, my first since March. It was outdoors on the patio and we were socially distanced being as no one was gonna sit out in 42 degrees to listen to us anyways. Inside at the bar, people were sitting right next to each other maskless. I got the distinct impression I was looked at askance when I went in there to pee wearing a mask. I can say it made me extremely uncomfortable to be in that environment. Clearly, if having a pint is so important to you, you are not going to have been careful over the holidays, as well. Everyone masks up where I live in NOLA...it really isn't an issue. It felt odd and dangerous to be where people don't do that and it didn't give me hope this will be ending anytime soon.
      This is where we’re at with playing out at this point. It’s tragically comic that the band is usually more cautious about & toward the audience these days than vice versa! It doesn’t help that most of my bluegrass bands’s gigs are at breweries in the Li’l Appalachia gold country foothills - where revenue’rs, diversity, COVID and other unpleasant issues are ignored outright.

And from a player’s standpoint, isn’t the FQF basically still a multi-million-dollar pay-to-play situation? I get how attendees might consider music fest’s in apples-to-apples terms, but FQF is VERY well-attended and benefits the French Quarter businesses greatly. How bands would still have to secure “sponsorship” is beyond me. Is that still the case?

Comment

• Originally posted by duende View Post

This is where we’re at with playing out at this point. It’s tragically comic that the band is usually more cautious about & toward the audience these days than vice versa! It doesn’t help that most of my bluegrass bands’s gigs are at breweries in the Li’l Appalachia gold country foothills - where revenue’rs, diversity, COVID and other unpleasant issues are ignored outright.

And from a player’s standpoint, isn’t the FQF basically still a multi-million-dollar pay-to-play situation? I get how attendees might consider music fest’s in apples-to-apples terms, but FQF is VERY well-attended and benefits the French Quarter businesses greatly. How bands would still have to secure “sponsorship” is beyond me. Is that still the case?
        There are gigs at the breweries here in NOLA and they do take proper precautions with socially distanced audiences and masks required. (Admittedly, you have to lower your mask to sip your pint or eat your sausage.) I have heard really good things about how the new Dixie Brewery out in New Orleans East handles things. There is also the new outdoor venue at the Broad Theater that looks really nice. They have a screen behind the band for a cool light show and the seats are distanced.

Personally, I wanted to stick my toe in the water and see how it felt being as I don't see clubs being viable for quite some time. It fell apart for me when I saw how the venue was operating overall. Unless the entire venue takes precautions, it doesn't feel right. There are ways to do it outside but I feel precautions need to be taken in total.

We fell outta the loop regarding the FQF but a sponsorship did seem to be key last time they booked it, though even that is not a guarantee of a slot. There still remains executive decisions to decide if you are worthy.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

I did see The Stones twice in 2019, here in NOLA and at Met Life in NJ. Had a blast at both shows, thought they were better in NJ but overall they are many years past their prime. It's more about the songs and having a good time and thinking it will be the last time.
          And the fact that they can still plug in, play, and kick ass.

Comment

• Keith Spera's take.

Spera: Will 2021 New Orleans Jazz Fest, French Quarter Fest happen at usual time? The odds are slim | Music | nola.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Kemp View Post

And the fact that they can still plug in, play, and kick ass.
              I was so looking forward to that day when they were going to play The Fest. Someday?

I would really love to see Keith get The Winos back together but I doubt he could still sing that many songs. I saw them 3 times back in the day and loved them.

Comment

• Meanwhile, NOLA is going back to (modifed) Phase 1, following a positivity rate that doubled in a week to over 10%.

The Modified Phase One will begin in Orleans Parish at 6 a.m. on Friday, Jan. 8, with the following major changes:
                • Gatherings and special events will not be allowed except for people who live together in a single household.
                • All indoor activities will be reduced to 25% of permitted occupancy.
                • Indoor and outdoor sporting events will be reduced to 4% of permitted occupancy.
                • Tables – at restaurants, or outdoor seating at bars or breweries – will be limited to 6 people and everyone must be from the same household.
                https://www.wdsu.com/article/new-orl...ions/35142970#
                Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by swag View Post
                  Meanwhile, NOLA is going back to (modifed) Phase 1, following a positivity rate that doubled in a week to over 10%.

https://www.wdsu.com/article/new-orl...ions/35142970#
                  Too Little Far Too Late, once again the ineptitude is astounding.

Just like London and elsewhere.

Nola and surrounds should plan for a Carjacking and shooting Festival based on the stats in recent times.

Which is very sad but I suspect that as usual nothing will be done about it, even though the Homicide rate rose by a very large figure in 2020, which I think was something like %63.

I dont give a shit if it was worse 20 years ago, now is the time to be concerned about what is going on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gards View Post

Too Little Far Too Late, once again the ineptitude is astounding.

Just like London and elsewhere.

Nola and surrounds should plan for a Carjacking and shooting Festival based on the stats in recent times.

Which is very sad but I suspect that as usual nothing will be done about it, even though the Homicide rate rose by a very large figure in 2020, which I think was something like %63.

I dont give a shit if it was worse 20 years ago, now is the time to be concerned about what is going on.
                    Not to minimize the issue, because it is serious, but violent crime is up nationwide in urban cities of the US, its not specific to NO. In fact, some year-end analysis I read (NYTimes maybe, don't recall) didn't even mention NO.

Comment

• Originally posted by festbabe View Post

Not to minimize the issue, because it is serious, but violent crime is up nationwide in urban cities of the US, its not specific to NO. In fact, some year-end analysis I read (NYTimes maybe, don't recall) didn't even mention NO.
                      Gun violence in Philadelphia was at a historic high in 2020. When we moved across the river in October things had been rapidly deteriorating in our neighborhood as some serious violent crime was occurring closer and closer to home.

But back to Jazz Fest: my sis and I were talking about scheduling a trip to Europe in the fall - obviously nothing that we wouldn't be able to cancel without significant financial penalties. I asked that we keep October unscheduled just in case JF or the similar takes place. A girl can dream.

Comment

• I was wondering - in the absence of well-attended tourist-attracting festivals, conventions, sporting events, etc - if the LA State Troopers were still a presence in New Orleans to "assist" NOPD in the deterring of crime outside the French Quarter proper. If no, what is the tipping-point of homicides, uncharged/dismissed percentage of suspects, and public/business outcry before the U.S. Justice Dept. steps in or threatens the state with taking over, forcing the governor to intervene and send troopers?

And, on the festival futures front, anyone else going down memory lane and reviewing/preserving all of the postponed prepaid event tix they have squirreled-away in various phone wallets, ticket apps, iBooks, and email confirmations? For us it's starting to get a bit daunting... do my postponed Fest club shows get refunded if I don't make the re-scheduled show in a different season altogether? Kidding - I've already written those tickets off as Ticketmaster donations.
                        Last edited by duende; 01-08-2021, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• nola.com reporting FQF looking at 9/30-10/3, but the festival wouldn't comment on those dates.

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...8c46b3128.html

Comment

• Booked, what the hell!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post
                              nola.com reporting FQF looking at 9/30-10/3, but the festival wouldn't comment on those dates.

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...8c46b3128.html
                              I wish it was in The Fall every year. It's just too close to Jazz Fest.

I'm guessing Jazz Fest is looking at early-mid October.

Comment

• Originally posted by duende View Post
                                And, on the festival futures front, anyone else going down memory lane and reviewing/preserving all of the postponed prepaid event tix they have squirreled-away in various phone wallets, ticket apps, iBooks, and email confirmations? For us it's starting to get a bit daunting... do my postponed Fest club shows get refunded if I don't make the re-scheduled show in a different season altogether? Kidding - I've already written those tickets off as Ticketmaster donations.
                                Nope. Only thing we bought that wasn't refunded has been our Airbnb...and we just keep pushing it back until we eventually use it (fingers crossed!). No one is out any money yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X