ODDS OF A 2021 NOJF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
    BTW, Quint said yesterday at the end of "Festing In Place" that The Fest is on this year!

At least one headliner has already confirmed that they're booked. See recent Pete Townshend interview in Rolling Stone.

Comment

• Originally posted by BrettM View Post

At least one headliner has already confirmed that they're booked. See recent Pete Townshend interview in Rolling Stone.
      Would not let me read. Is he saying October or next Spring ??

Comment

• Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

It says that he "hopes" to tour. And Pete says it would "start in New Orleans at the Jazz Festival".

Comment

He is saying October. A first reaction was a "yawn". The last time that he visited he was totally uninspired. Purely a by the rote set. Bored and I cannot wait to be done here behaviorism. The weather had been gray and cloudy and then as the set got past the half-way point the clouds disappeared, the sun began to go down in a beautiful display of approaching evening, and Roger kicked it up another gear and rescued the band in general and Townsend in particular. In this interview he seems to be excited about getting back on the road and implies that Jazzfest is an early if not the first stop of a tour. He farther states that Roger is beside himself to get back out on the road and sing in front of a live audience. It gives one a hope that it would and could, perhaps "will" be a good set. Performed by some very old entertainers.

Comment

• I had seen The Who a couple of times in the 00s and was not all that impressed, especially when they played newer songs but the last time I saw them at Forrest Hills in NYC back in 2015 on their 50th Anniversary Tour they were great. I was lucky enough to be right in front of Pete and he was on fire throughout the entire show. Joan Jett opened and she was her usual great self. One of the better rock n roll bills I have seen over the last decade. I'm sure these guys are on some at some gigs and not so on at others.

Although it was post Keith Moon, my fondest memory of The Who was at Shea Stadium on a bill with The Clash back in October 1982. It was THE place to be on that great night.

Comment

• I enjoyed the Roger/Pete Who show at Fest a few years back. Zak Starkey's drumming was a treat, Pete was rather feisty if I remember correctly throwing an unrehearsed Who obscurity into the mix while an unsuspecting Roger did his best with a sideward glance at old Townsy. From what I read, Daltry blew his voice out at Fest (and sounded great doing so) and other singers had to be brought in for the rest of the tour. Probably good for Festers that they are starting here again.

Comment

• I've seen 'em a few times. If they play fest in October, or in April, it might be a great set, or it might be mailed in; they might be enthused about starting the tour, or rusty from the long layoff. But I won't miss it. They're rock and roll legends, and getting up in years.
                Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

• I read that article to mean they were scheduled to be here this April before the postponement and that they would start their next tour here next year. I don't think Pete means this October.

I really enjoyed their set last time, including the Jazz Fest Moment For The Ages when the sun broke through and bathed the grounds in golden light just as the "Baba O'Riley" synth started. Roger mentions it in his book. I have seen it on YouTube and you can see the golden light spread but it was nothing like what it felt like as it happened. Magic...out here in the fields, indeed. The AXS footage from that set is very nice, as well. I made it into a DVD I have watched several times.

Makes me wonder how the booking overall is being handled. I guess they are working on October and next year, to some degree, already.

Comment

• Originally posted by chopitulas View Post

Makes me wonder how the booking overall is being handled. I guess they are working on October and next year, to some degree, already.
                    Kinda my thinking as well. They are planning two Fest's at once. Both heavy on local acts with a watered down BNA agenda. Mainly because of the time span and the lack of bands touring at the moment.

Comment

Kinda my thinking as well. They are planning two Fest's at once. Both heavy on local acts with a watered down BNA agenda. Mainly because of the time span and the lack of bands touring at the moment.
                      I have a hard time thinking it is just gonna be a local act deal in October what with FQF right before it. But that is always true, of course, so you are probably right about a watered down BNA schedule this year. Seems to me there would have to be some draws beyond the "roots music" and Louisiana acts to make it a consideration for out-of-towners. People here aren't gonna shell out JF prices to see a re-run of FQF.

It is hard to know what acts are even planning tours for then, something that has to factor in from their perspective regarding a JF booking. We consider it an honor to be booked and all that but the reality is it has to fit into a band's touring schedule. Who knows who will be "on the road" in October.

For that reason, I was amazed the upcoming John Hiatt/Jerry Douglas tour did not work itself out to allow a JF booking being as they go to the West Coast during the 1st weekend after a Nashville date. Seems to me JF woulda been high on their management's list knowing the audience there would be receptive and would be more inclined to pick up the new CD after seeing them. There was a time that act woulda been a JF no-brainer. I guess booking overall is different in these times, for both bands and the Fest.
                      Last edited by chopitulas; 1 week ago.

Comment

I'd agree with you that they are probably planning both fests at the same time and there are a few bands that are starting to tour- but as far as those I've seen that are touring- not lots that would bring the crowds so far, but that can change- there's still time...

Comment

• I'm not sure if it's been covered elsewhere, but should we expect a less crowded festival due to a reduced amount of tickets being sold or will social distancing not be an issue by October?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nancy10016 View Post

I'd agree with you that they are probably planning both fests at the same time and there are a few bands that are starting to tour- but as far as those I've seen that are touring- not lots that would bring the crowds so far, but that can change- there's still time...
                            In Quint & Co I trust. My concern is acts from other countries not being able to get into The US.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

In Quint & Co I trust. My concern is acts from other countries not being able to get into The US.
                              The most important "act" from overseas is Gards ! We need a wedding going on !!

Comment

• Originally posted by 20/20 View Post

The most important "act" from overseas is Gards ! We need a wedding going on !!
                                This is the first post on the bored that I want a like button for.
                                yyr!!

Comment

Working...
                                X