Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ODDS OF A 2021 NOJF?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by SoCalFestLover View Post
    I realize this is not a popular opinion, but I'm very sad that I won't be going to Jazz Fest this year. Honestly, I can't say whether I'll even attend in 2022. I'm very depressed because I had planned on going both weekends in 2020, but now I'm hesitant to go anywhere near Louisiana.

    Fact is, Louisiana is one of the lowest states in terms of % of people vaccinated. I have no doubt they plan to go through with the Fest this year, but think it's a Big mistake. Since some people there will be vaccinated, I'm not sure it will go down as a superspreader event, but it is a certainty that Covid will be present in the crowd, and will spread. Only then to be further spread once people return to their home states.

    As of today, Louisiana is at a 32% fully vaccination rate. They are projected to reach 50%, yes, FIFTY PERCENT, by December 4. That's 2 months after Jazz Fest, and 50% is nowhere near "herd immunity." And Louisiana was absolutely one of the states hit hardest by Covid over the past year. But hey, Nawlins' needs the money, so no need to let an ongoing pandemic combined with vaccine hesitancy, spoil things.

    Louisiana is projected to reach 70% vaccinated sometime in June/July 2022. And even that is not a level of "herd immunity." It could be worse, I suppose. Alabama is expected to reach about 40% by next summer.

    So I'm sure that all of the performers I had wanted to see last year, will be there in October, which I'm not happy about, but it is what it is. If Bruce Springsteen & E-Street Band are there in 2022, I'll probably take the chance, but I will likely be wearing a mask when I'm out. Hopefully a variant resistant to the vaccines doesn't take hold between now and then, thanks to all the Morons who refuse to get their shots. Otherwise we're truly screwed, and will be back where we were months ago. Ahhhh......America.

    I'll say this. Vaccines don't know about state lines. We look at statewide stats, but that's only part of the picture.

    Orleans Parish, 55% of adults are vaccinated. Jefferson Parish, next door, is 52%. Parishes in the middle and southwest parts of thse state are much lower, and that brings the state averages down. But not too many are traveling from Lake Charles for Jazzfest; we'll have more visitors from NYC. So yeah, our numbers should be higher, but they're not as bad as they seem at first.

    Jazzfest itself is also relatively safe, being mostly outdoors. The night shows in the clubs would be much higher risk, especially for the unvaccinated..
    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

    Comment


    • Originally posted by SoCalFestLover View Post
      I realize this is not a popular opinion, but I'm very sad that I won't be going to Jazz Fest this year. Honestly, I can't say whether I'll even attend in 2022. I'm very depressed because I had planned on going both weekends in 2020, but now I'm hesitant to go anywhere near Louisiana.

      Fact is, Louisiana is one of the lowest states in terms of % of people vaccinated. I have no doubt they plan to go through with the Fest this year, but think it's a Big mistake. Since some people there will be vaccinated, I'm not sure it will go down as a superspreader event, but it is a certainty that Covid will be present in the crowd, and will spread. Only then to be further spread once people return to their home states.

      As of today, Louisiana is at a 32% fully vaccination rate. They are projected to reach 50%, yes, FIFTY PERCENT, by December 4. That's 2 months after Jazz Fest, and 50% is nowhere near "herd immunity." And Louisiana was absolutely one of the states hit hardest by Covid over the past year. But hey, Nawlins' needs the money, so no need to let an ongoing pandemic combined with vaccine hesitancy, spoil things.

      Louisiana is projected to reach 70% vaccinated sometime in June/July 2022. And even that is not a level of "herd immunity." It could be worse, I suppose. Alabama is expected to reach about 40% by next summer.

      So I'm sure that all of the performers I had wanted to see last year, will be there in October, which I'm not happy about, but it is what it is. If Bruce Springsteen & E-Street Band are there in 2022, I'll probably take the chance, but I will likely be wearing a mask when I'm out. Hopefully a variant resistant to the vaccines doesn't take hold between now and then, thanks to all the Morons who refuse to get their shots. Otherwise we're truly screwed, and will be back where we were months ago. Ahhhh......America.
      I respect your opinion but if you are vaxed(I'm assuming you are), what are you worried about? Once I got vaxed that was it, I've gone back to living my normal pre-COVID life as most people I know have. Enough is enough. I just went to 3 sold out, outdoor concerts recently (in Austin, nothing like that here in NOLA yet) and thought nothing of it. But that's me, I'm curious what others have to say about how they are dealing with this.

      Louisiana is projected to reach 70% vaccinated? I see zero chance of that happening. However you are using numbers for the entire state of Louisiana. The Fest is in New Orleans which has a higher vax rate(44.33% fully vaxed, 49.18% at least one dose) than the rest of the state. Most people that live in those low vax areas do not even come here. In fact most hate this city!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by SoCalFestLover View Post
        I realize this is not a popular opinion, but I'm very sad that I won't be going to Jazz Fest this year. Honestly, I can't say whether I'll even attend in 2022. I'm very depressed because I had planned on going both weekends in 2020, but now I'm hesitant to go anywhere near Louisiana.

        Fact is, Louisiana is one of the lowest states in terms of % of people vaccinated. I have no doubt they plan to go through with the Fest this year, but think it's a Big mistake. Since some people there will be vaccinated, I'm not sure it will go down as a superspreader event, but it is a certainty that Covid will be present in the crowd, and will spread. Only then to be further spread once people return to their home states.

        As of today, Louisiana is at a 32% fully vaccination rate. They are projected to reach 50%, yes, FIFTY PERCENT, by December 4. That's 2 months after Jazz Fest, and 50% is nowhere near "herd immunity." And Louisiana was absolutely one of the states hit hardest by Covid over the past year. But hey, Nawlins' needs the money, so no need to let an ongoing pandemic combined with vaccine hesitancy, spoil things.

        Louisiana is projected to reach 70% vaccinated sometime in June/July 2022. And even that is not a level of "herd immunity." It could be worse, I suppose. Alabama is expected to reach about 40% by next summer.

        So I'm sure that all of the performers I had wanted to see last year, will be there in October, which I'm not happy about, but it is what it is. If Bruce Springsteen & E-Street Band are there in 2022, I'll probably take the chance, but I will likely be wearing a mask when I'm out. Hopefully a variant resistant to the vaccines doesn't take hold between now and then, thanks to all the Morons who refuse to get their shots. Otherwise we're truly screwed, and will be back where we were months ago. Ahhhh......America.
        Sorry. And I mean that in all sincerity. You'll probably missing the best Jazz Fest since 2006.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by DownDaBayou View Post

          Sorry. And I mean that in all sincerity. You'll probably missing the best Jazz Fest since 2006.
          I'm curious why you would say that without even knowing who will be playing. That lineup for last year before being cancelled was not one of the better ones.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

            I'm curious why you would say that without even knowing who will be playing. That lineup for last year before being cancelled was not one of the better ones.
            I think, and that's only my opinion, artist have just as much pent up demand as we fans do to interact and get that roar of approval from a Jazz Fest crowd they haven't felt for a while. I attended the Jazz Fest the year after Katrina. It was a very spiritual experience. Bruce Springsteen's performance is only an example. See it on Youtube. Artist will want to perform. The New Orleans Jazz Fest is the penultimate American music festival. Again, dat's jus' me.
            Last edited by DownDaBayou; 1 day ago.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by DownDaBayou View Post

              I think, and that's only my opinion, artist have just as much pent up demand as we fans do to interact and get that roar of approval from a Jazz Fest crowd they haven't felt for a while. I attended the Jazz Fest the year after Katrina. It was a very spiritual experience. Bruce Springsteen's performance is only an example. See it on Youtube. Artist will want to perform. The New Orleans Jazz Fest is the penultimate American music festival. Again, dat's jus' me.
              That was a bit different. That Bruce set was an alltimer, Quints alltime Fest highlight. By Jazz Fest most bands will already have been playing a for a while. Some have been playing for months right here in town and many local artists will have played at The FQ Fest the week before. But I'm all for a celebration!.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

                But that's me, I'm curious what others have to say about how they are dealing with this.
                I'm doing pretty much everything that I did before covid - well, of what is available right now- with a few exceptions. I'm not going to any large concerts because I'm not looking to shell out $$$ to go. But if the price were right I'd be there without any virus related hesitancy. I'm not doing any big travel yet, but mainly because my work is nuts and prices are high.
                I am eating indoors 1-2x a week, and I've gone to a few outdoor concerts- again, either free to lower cost. And I've been to a Phillies game without a mask or any enforced social distancing in the standing room section (but people were all cool and leaving space for one another). I went to a Pride parade last night and a family house party earlier in the week. I'm at a point where your vaccine status is on you- I trust my vax is doing its job right now in our current virus situation- so if you choose not to be vaccinated, well, good luck. I'm not letting them stop me from enjoying my life. But I will let extreme ticket prices stop me!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by swag View Post


                  I'll say this. Vaccines don't know about state lines. We look at statewide stats, but that's only part of the picture.

                  Orleans Parish, 55% of adults are vaccinated. Jefferson Parish, next door, is 52%. Parishes in the middle and southwest parts of thse state are much lower, and that brings the state averages down. But not too many are traveling from Lake Charles for Jazzfest; we'll have more visitors from NYC. So yeah, our numbers should be higher, but they're not as bad as they seem at first.

                  Jazzfest itself is also relatively safe, being mostly outdoors. The night shows in the clubs would be much higher risk, especially for the unvaccinated..
                  This was my thought. This would be like skipping Outside Lands in San Francisco because there are a lot of undocumented central valley workers afraid that getting vaccinated might get them deported. I would also wager that except on a Thursday, any given fest day the number of people from outside Louisiana outnumber the people from here.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

                    I'm curious why you would say that without even knowing who will be playing. That lineup for last year before being cancelled was not one of the better ones.
                    Dead & Company, Isley Brothers and Black Crowes are the only (just about) certain national performers. An all-knowing individual told me that it's a mix of 2020 names with some trade-offs. Most people could have guessed that anyway. I'm just hoping JF and the city can come to terms on whatever hangups remain as far as the so-called "emergency bandwidth." I figured they'd have announced already. But since they usually do about 3-3 1/2 months before the festival, that's pretty soon.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by SoCalFestLover View Post
                      I have no doubt they plan to go through with the Fest this year, but think it's a Big mistake. Since some people there will be vaccinated, I'm not sure it will go down as a superspreader event, but it is a certainty that Covid will be present in the crowd, and will spread. Only then to be further spread once people return to their home states.
                      "some people will be vaccinated" ?? Most likely a negative covid test or proof of vaccination will be required to get in. Under those circumstances, why would you be worried ?? Vax up, c'mon down and join the party !!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by swag View Post


                        I'll say this. Vaccines don't know about state lines. We look at statewide stats, but that's only part of the picture.

                        Orleans Parish, 55% of adults are vaccinated. Jefferson Parish, next door, is 52%. Parishes in the middle and southwest parts of thse state are much lower, and that brings the state averages down. But not too many are traveling from Lake Charles for Jazzfest; we'll have more visitors from NYC. So yeah, our numbers should be higher, but they're not as bad as they seem at first.

                        Jazzfest itself is also relatively safe, being mostly outdoors. The night shows in the clubs would be much higher risk, especially for the unvaccinated..
                        I will also add that a large percentage of the JF demographics is older.

                        From cdc: As of today. % of 65+ year old. 86.5% with at least one dose, 75.8 fully vaccinated.

                        By October we could be near 90% fully vaccinated for the +65. And the 18+ crowd numbers keep increasing up.
                        We still have 4 months until JF.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Fred (Texas JF Fanatic) View Post

                          I will also add that a large percentage of the JF demographics is older.

                          From cdc: As of today. % of 65+ year old. 86.5% with at least one dose, 75.8 fully vaccinated.

                          By October we could be near 90% fully vaccinated for the +65. And the 18+ crowd numbers keep increasing up.
                          We still have 4 months until JF.
                          Yup. We are also mostly liberals and Democrats, which I'm sure pushes the percentage of vaccinated Jazz Fest attendees even higher. Unless the lineup leans towards the Kidd Rock/Ted Nugent fan base, I think the covid infected, un-vaxed Fest attendees at 2021 Fest will be few.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

                            Yup. We are also mostly liberals and Democrats, which I'm sure pushes the percentage of vaccinated Jazz Fest attendees even higher. Unless the lineup leans towards the Kidd Rock/Ted Nugent fan base, I think the covid infected, un-vaxed Fest attendees at 2021 Fest will be few.
                            Rumors are now flying around that Kidd Rock & Ted Nugent are headlining! Get out those battle flag bandanas from the bottom of your drawers!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

                              Rumors are now flying around that Kidd Rock & Ted Nugent are headlining! Get out those battle flag bandanas from the bottom of your drawers!
                              Be cautious on being critical and trying to tie music and politics together with the same knot. Kid Rock did Jazzfest a few years ago, I don't recall which year. My wife was just curious and I had no interest what-so-ever. Partially because of politics and partially because of musical tastes. In order to appease her I accompanied her to see some of his act. Left an artist whom I really like but once again memory fails as to who it was. Turned out that I enjoyed his show. I really did. Yes, he did have a HUGE American flag that dropped down at one point and I suppose that there were some political references, I cannot recall, but the show was enjoyable .

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by 20/20 View Post

                                Be cautious on being critical and trying to tie music and politics together with the same knot. Kid Rock did Jazzfest a few years ago, I don't recall which year. My wife was just curious and I had no interest what-so-ever. Partially because of politics and partially because of musical tastes. In order to appease her I accompanied her to see some of his act. Left an artist whom I really like but once again memory fails as to who it was. Turned out that I enjoyed his show. I really did. Yes, he did have a HUGE American flag that dropped down at one point and I suppose that there were some political references, I cannot recall, but the show was enjoyable .
                                I actually saw Ted Nugent back in the 70s at Madison Square Garden. He was supposed to open for Lynard Skynard but they had a problem as they crashed their plane so Ted headlined and some awful hair band opened. I was somewhat of a fan at the time but after seeing him live, even as a teenager I thought he looked like an idiot with his antics and never paid any attention to him ever again. Now I think he plays casinos or lame fests when he can.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X