ODDS OF A 2021 NOJF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For what it's worth.

The final day of the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival found Kid Rock playing to a crowd that seemed to appreciate the various sides of his personality. There was his rebellious David Allen Coe mode on tracks like “Cowboy” and “Somebody’s Gotta Feel This” – when he was inventive, funny and larger than life. Then there was his evocation of Bob Seger – the average, working-class guy from Michigan – when he sat at the piano singing “Care” and stood on top of it for the encore of “Born Free.” And during “All Summer Long,” he got an assist from New Orleans’ Trombone Shorty, who came out for an incendiary solo, then a quick, intense cutting session with Kid Rock’s sax player Dave McMurray.

https://youtu.be/-GupiXehFnk

Comment

• Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

I'm curious why you would say that without even knowing who will be playing. That lineup for last year before being cancelled was not one of the better ones.

Long-time visitor here, and so long since my last post that I couldn't even find my old account.....

I can say with about 99.999% certainty that JazzFest will be great and worth traveling to, without even knowing who will be playing.

Our first Fest was in 2006 (and we've only missed it once since then due to financial issues in 2014). For us, it don't matter much who the BNAs are for any given year. We're goin, come hell or high water. This is THE one event we do together as a family every year no matter what else is on our plate. Because it's always great to be there. It's the best-run festival in the country with the best damn music available, year in and year out. We go because it's New Orleans; because we're gonna see the artists and hear the music and eat the food and celebrate the cultures that make this place so special. Whether Bruce or Elton or Dave or Aerosmith or whoever is headlining, that's all just gravy for us.

And I don't think I'm alone in that position.

Comment

• Agree wholeheartedly, RC.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC_Ryland View Post

Long-time visitor here, and so long since my last post that I couldn't even find my old account.....

I can say with about 99.999% certainty that JazzFest will be great and worth traveling to, without even knowing who will be playing.

Our first Fest was in 2006 (and we've only missed it once since then due to financial issues in 2014). For us, it don't matter much who the BNAs are for any given year. We're goin, come hell or high water. This is THE one event we do together as a family every year no matter what else is on our plate. Because it's always great to be there. It's the best-run festival in the country with the best damn music available, year in and year out. We go because it's New Orleans; because we're gonna see the artists and hear the music and eat the food and celebrate the cultures that make this place so special. Whether Bruce or Elton or Dave or Aerosmith or whoever is headlining, that's all just gravy for us.

And I don't think I'm alone in that position.
          I was referring to the comment made by DownDaBayou "Sorry. And I mean that in all sincerity. You'll probably missing the best Jazz Fest since 2006."

I live blocks away and have gone to 25 Jazz Fests. I was asking why THIS Fest will be so special. Of course every Jazz Fest is a great time no matter who is playing. All good!

Comment

I was referring to the comment made by DownDaBayou "Sorry. And I mean that in all sincerity. You'll probably missing the best Jazz Fest since 2006."

I live blocks away and have gone to 25 Jazz Fests. I was asking why THIS Fest will be so special. Of course every Jazz Fest is a great time no matter who is playing. All good!
            I guess this Jazz Fest will be special the way 06 was special. The first one after tough and uncertain times. Makes you appreciate it more, despite who's playing. I mean, I'm guessing they will have a FEW good acts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
              despite who's playing
              I see what you did there.

Comment

I guess this Jazz Fest will be special the way 06 was special. The first one after tough and uncertain times. Makes you appreciate it more, despite who's playing. I mean, I'm guessing they will have a FEW good acts.
                It will be fun but nothing like '06. By October I'd imagine most will be back to normal. I already feel like things here are pretty much back to normal or close to it. And of course there will be plenty of great music, there always is.

Comment

It will be fun but nothing like '06. By October I'd imagine most will be back to normal. I already feel like things here are pretty much back to normal or close to it. And of course there will be plenty of great music, there always is.
                  Well, nothing seems normal about 2 1/2 years between Jazz Fests. That was not the case in 06.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lit View Post
                    I see what you did there.
                    Nothing gets by you. You would make a great lawyer !!

Comment

Aww, you're spoiled.

I do think a return after 2-1/2 years will be special for the artists and the fans, regardless who's in the lineup. I'm at my first live show since Jan 2020 (in Austin) and the sense of anticipation & gratitude for the return of joyous communal celebration is quite palpable for the audience and performers.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC_Ryland View Post

Aww, you're spoiled.

I do think a return after 2-1/2 years will be special for the artists and the fans, regardless who's in the lineup. I'm at my first live show since Jan 2020 (in Austin) and the sense of anticipation & gratitude for the return of joyous communal celebration is quite palpable for the audience and performers.
                        Cool. I just spent a week of music and food in Austin and had a blast!

Comment

Well, nothing seems normal about 2 1/2 years between Jazz Fests. That was not the case in 06.
                          FQ Fest & Jazz Fest in Oct (and during Saints games!) ain't normal either. I just don't see this being like after Katrina but what do I know?

I actually wish one of them, preferably FQ Fest would just stay in Oct.

Comment

I actually wish one of them, preferably FQ Fest would just stay in Oct.
                            October already has enough Festivals in a normal year. How about March ? After St. Pats and Mardi Gras ??

Comment

October already has enough Festivals in a normal year. How about March ? After St. Pats and Mardi Gras ??
                              Late March is Hogs for the Cause.
                              Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

No big ones in Oct except for Blues & BBQ. I just hate when FQF & JF are back to back and then a couple of weeks later Bayou Boogaloo. By then I've seen enough local music and lose interest even though it's right by my house. I'm sure many would say I'm just jaded and they are probably right. I'd just like the big fests spread out a bit more.

Comment

Working...
                                X