ODDS OF A 2021 NOJF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

No big ones in Oct except for Blues & BBQ. I just hate when FQF & JF are back to back and then a couple of weeks later Bayou Boogaloo. By then I've seen enough local music and lose interest even though it's right by my house. I'm sure many would say I'm just jaded and they are probably right. I'd just like the big fests spread out a bit more.
    (Voodoo is big.)

We've got, what, about two months of generally good temperatures in the spring, and another two months in the fall? That's only so many available weekends, and even fewer once you cross off the holidays like Easter and Mothers Day that fests prefer to avoid. Compared to Spring, fall has shorter days, Saints and LSU football games to compete with, and hurricane risk. So it's no wonder spring is the first choice for big fests.

Hit it hard for eight weeks, then you have all summer for your body, your liver, and your wallet to recover.

All things considered, too many spring festivals is a pretty great problem to have.
    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by swag View Post

(Voodoo is big.)

We've got, what, about two months of generally good temperatures in the spring, and another two months in the fall? That's only so many available weekends, and even fewer once you cross off the holidays like Easter and Mothers Day that fests prefer to avoid. Compared to Spring, fall has shorter days, Saints and LSU football games to compete with, and hurricane risk. So it's no wonder spring is the first choice for big fests.

Hit it hard for eight weeks, then you have all summer for your body, your liver, and your wallet to recover.

All things considered, too many spring festivals is a pretty great problem to have.
      Haha. I don't even drink that much. I don't even like going to Jazz Fest two days in a row. Rarely do FQF consecutive days. So much music in a short period of time when you forget what you saw hours or days earlier. But yeah, there are worse problems to have.

Comment

• Looks like a 6 day fest.
        https://swag.livejournal.com/371931.html
        Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Ah, bummer. But I understand the limited resources.
          The only other explanation is a super-big BNA, making brass passes void on the date, a la Rolling Stones a few years ago. But, I don't see that as a realistic possibility.

Comment

I'll take it !! Now on with the talent announcement.

Comment

Crap. Not just on a 6 day fest, but because I already told OZ i would use mine this year, which as your journal notes, is an economic mistake. I guess OZ benefits from my error so not crying too hard.

Comment

Thanks for putting it out there! And I agree that this seems like the kind of tack several other festivals have adopted post-covid: a good compromise between lower attendance expectations and brand reinforcement, without going broke doing it.

On the good side, it hopefully also signals an end to the one-off super-secret/special-artist special admission days, as festbabe also suggested. Who's left standing that could command that kind of ticket, anyway?

Comment

• Originally posted by duende View Post

Thanks for putting it out there! And I agree that this seems like the kind of tack several other festivals have adopted post-covid: a good compromise between lower attendance expectations and brand reinforcement, without going broke doing it.

On the good side, it hopefully also signals an end to the one-off super-secret/special-artist special admission days, as festbabe also suggested. Who's left standing that could command that kind of ticket, anyway?
                  I'd be all for a special day with The Stones or Springsteen. Maybe next year. They were not charging any more, actually less than a normal Stones ticket costs.

Comment

I'd be all for a special day with The Stones or Springsteen. Maybe next year. They were not charging any more, actually less than a normal Stones ticket costs.
                    I guess it'd be better if the acts for those special-admission shows were able to deliver a full concert set (or at least as long as Widespread's double).

Comment

• Originally posted by duende View Post

I guess it'd be better if the acts for those special-admission shows were able to deliver a full concert set (or at least as long as Widespread's double).
                      That's what The Stones were going to do. All other bands were to stop playing before they went on. I never understood the backlash as it was an extra day added on so if you were not into it, just don't go.

Comment

That's what The Stones were going to do. All other bands were to stop playing before they went on. I never understood the backlash as it was an extra day added on so if you were not into it, just don't go.
                        The backlash was because you had to pay extra even if you just wanted to see the other acts playing that day (which, any other year, would just be playing one of the regular days). If you don't go you miss some of the bands you see at Jazzfest every year. Personally, I think it was okay as a one-off, but I understand the backlash.

Comment

• As we are doing French Quarter and all of Jazz Fest, I'm OK with no second Thursday; we geezers can use the break as 'daze between' can be a bit hectic what with (hopefully) something like Instruments A Comin', Patry, and a late Rads show Wed. Maybe we'll have time for a day trip on Thursday. Either way, it's RECESS!!!

Comment

• We're doing FQF thru 1st weekend, so losing a day of each probably won't mean any less days of festing for us overall, just making them consecutive instead of opting to take a day off during each weekend. Any day in New Orleans is a day well spent, especially after what will be almost 2 years since our last visit.

Comment

• Odds are improving.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
                                Odds are improving.
                                Got to hope so.

Sadly I have bugger all chance of being there. Thanks to our fucking pathetic Federal Govt.

Comment

Working...
                                X