No announcement yet.

ODDS OF A 2021 NOJF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Such a scam and a sham. Most of you came to see the dancers at the clubs on Bourbon Street. You were just killing time during the day.

Comment

Latest festival news:

Organizers of the Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival confirmed new dates for next year’s event. Bonnaroo is now scheduled to return to The Farm in Manchester, Tennessee September 2 – 5, 2021.

The 2020 installment was postponed shortly after the pandemic began. Then, in June, organizers canceled Bonnaroo 2020 when it became clear mass gatherings would not be possible.

While the Bonnaroo team hoped to host the festival during its usual mid-June weekend in 2021, they have now made the decision to reschedule the event for September.
      If Bonnaroo can't do June, that doesn't bode well for Jazzfest in April.
      Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Saw this posted on the Coachella site:

Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival 2021 – Weekend 1

APR 9, 2021 AT 11 AM – APR 11, 2021 AT 2 PM

Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival 2021 – Weekend 2
        APR 16, 2021 AT 12 PM – APR 18, 2021 AT 3 PM

They did postpone the October dates, then put this up.

Comment

It's hard to see a regular standalone concert taking place, let alone a festival at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post

Same here. My first year was 1988 and I loved it for the reasons you've expressed.
            Ditto. 88 was my first Fest too. I had no idea what to expect and I barely knew zydeco music existed. Nathan & the Zydeco Cha Chas at Fais Do Do was lifechanging. The incredibly rich LA music world, the fantastic food, the hospitality, plus the coolers and the family atmosphere. All for $9!! Wonderful! The best nine dollars you could spend on the planet is what I told anyone who would listen. Still the best music festival (IMO) but definitely different.

Comment

Originally posted by mateus View Post
              One thing I would like to know about that discussion: did the increase in BNAs in the 2000s mean less local acts?.
              It did mean that the local acts largely stopped headlining at the large stages (except the traditional Nevilles/Rads on the last day). Dr. John for instance would usually close the Acura stage (before it was that), until sometime in the 2000's. Irma, funky Meters and a few others always closed their days as well. But, the mostly-local Thursdays were added as the bigger acts came in on the other days.

I'm not sure who the first non-local rock band to play the Fest was...Could have been Little Feat who inaugurated their reunion in 1987. One of the first non-rootsy big names I remember was Joni Mitchell, in 91 or 92. She played solo and featured her then-current material, and it didn't go over great.

Comment

Originally posted by bRETT View Post
                One of the first non-rootsy big names I remember was Joni Mitchell, in 91 or 92. She played solo and featured her then-current material, and it didn't go over great.
                That was 1995, my first Fest.

And seeing her live was my first Fest disappointment.

My friends and I were big fans and very excited to see her for the first time. IIRC she followed a hot Little Feat set and opened with "Sex Kills," during which the crowd hemorrhaged from Acura (nee WWL Ray Ban) faster than I have ever seen in the 25 years since.

We stayed for one or two more tunes and it didn't get better, and then I learned another early Fest lesson and simply moved on and followed my ears to another stage.
                Last edited by Lit; 10-01-2020, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bRETT View Post

I'm not sure who the first non-local rock band to play the Fest was...Could have been Little Feat who inaugurated their reunion in 1987. One of the first non-rootsy big names I remember was Joni Mitchell, in 91 or 92. She played solo and featured her then-current material, and it didn't go over great.
                  1986 had War and also Miami Sound Machine...
                  Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Joni had trouble with the Roland guitar synthesizer starting out and it threw the set off...coupled with no band and new material. Whether it's true or not, I've heard that the problem that caused such consternation ended up being the guitar volume not being turned up.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
                      Joni had trouble with the Roland guitar synthesizer starting out and it threw the set off...coupled with no band and new material. Whether it's true or not, I've heard that the problem that caused such consternation ended up being the guitar volume not being turned up.
                      Sound problems and the blues tent have always been my only Jazz Fest complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post

Sound problems and the blues tent have always been my only Jazz Fest complaints.
                        Clearly you were not there for Dave Matthews 2001....

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post

Beer prices, availability and choices, have caused me to voice my displeasure from time to time.

Comment

Oh! And one more thing. I don’t want to be overly critical but back in 1997 I went into a portapottie and two issues. No toilet paper and I thought that I could detect the odor of marijuana.

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post
                              Oh! And one more thing. I don’t want to be overly critical but back in 1997 I went into a portapottie and two issues. No toilet paper and I thought that I could detect the odor of marijuana.
                              People using the TP to roll doobies !!

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

People using the TP to roll doobies !!
                                Smoke gets in your eyes

Comment

Working...
                                X