X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about FQF?

Comment

• Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
      I predict a scaled down Jazz Fest in Fall. Less or no mega BNA's.
      I'd hate to be the one who has to break this news to Lizzo and Bonnie Raitt...

Comment

I predict a scaled down Jazz Fest in Fall. Less or no mega BNA's. A lot depends on how fast the vaccine makes it's rounds and how many take it. We shall see...
        Fest also runs CCB&BBQ in October; how about a one-time Crescent City Blues, Jazz & Heritage Festival, using both the Fairgrounds and Lafayette Square, with a mix of paid and free performances?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lit View Post

Fest also runs CCB&BBQ in October; how about a one-time Crescent City Blues, Jazz & Heritage Festival, using both the Fairgrounds and Lafayette Square, with a mix of paid and free performances?

That sounds great but even if I get the vaccine I doubt that I'll be going anywhere this year - too many people anti- masks and anti-vaccines . I'm in the age group that this disease is a killer .

Comment

• Originally posted by johnb View Post

That sounds great but even if I get the vaccine I doubt that I'll be going anywhere this year - too many people anti- masks and anti-vaccines . I'm in the age group that this disease is a killer .
            Your apprehension is understandable, and my optimism may be unwarranted, but for some reason I am feeling more hopeful today than I have in a long time.

I suspect that anyone in the US who is eligible and wants the vaccine will have received it by this summer at the latest, and we will start to have a return to some sense of normalcy by the fall.

Comment

• Let the Vaccinated dance !!

Comment

Works for me !!

Comment

• Originally posted by TEXFESTFAN View Post
                  What about FQF?
                  Not in April. Maybe October, but if my prediction of a scaled down Jazz Fest in October comes to pass, it would greatly resemble a FQ Fest, but with a cover charge. Who knows what will happen when it's determined safe to hold Festivals again ? Gonna be a Fest log jam, with every Fest out there ready to open the gates.

Comment

Not in April. Maybe October, but if my prediction of a scaled down Jazz Fest in October comes to pass, it would greatly resemble a FQ Fest, but with a cover charge. Who knows what will happen when it's determined safe to hold Festivals again ? Gonna be a Fest log jam, with every Fest out there ready to open the gates.
                    And fighting over people to play! It will be very interesting to see how everything comes back. Will it be a slow drop or a big bang this Fall?

I've see a fair amount of local music lately outside Tip's, on porches and at The Broadside. I want to see some of my favorite big acts like The Stones, who I would have seen in Austin last year or Bruce and/or something different I haven't seen before. A Fest of just local NOLA acts does not really thrill me all that much. I'd love to checkout that Big Ears fest sometime.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

I want to see some of my favorite big acts like The Stones, who I would have seen in Austin last year
                      I saw them during that tour in a suburb of Washington, DC. That was really something. Seen them many, many, many times and every time time you are tempted to say "that was the best ever" so I won't venture there, but that business enterprise known as the "Rolling Stones" is just a phenomenon , virtually a force of nature. I am presently reading a book entitled The Last Days of John Lennon" and while I realize that the Beatles predate many of the youngsters on this board, I suspect many know at least something about them and some of the obstacles that they faced. I will type the words Yoko Ono just as one illustration. Presuming that the author is honest and truthful in his narrative I am completely stunned at the amount of drug use by the group. Grateful Dead not withstanding this group, the did some serious psychedelics as well as every other form of a means of "getting by" that I know of and they still held together. For as long as they could. Then folded the tent and said their "good byes". The Stones??? Still moving right along. Amazing. Just amazing.
                      Last edited by 20/20; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

• As someone who lives in New Orleans and not far from the fairgrounds (I was just at Liuzza's last night) Jazz Fest is not all that high on my list of things that I cannot wait to see come back. I look more forward to going to Tip's, The Leaf, The Ace Hotel or a concert at The Civic, a busy restaurant, flying somewhere etc...... No rush on a huge festival with people coming from all over the place into our city.
                        Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

I've see a fair amount of local music lately outside Tip's, on porches and at The Broadside. I want to see some of my favorite big acts like The Stones, who I would have seen in Austin last year or Bruce and/or something different I haven't seen before. A Fest of just local NOLA acts does not really thrill me all that much. I'd love to checkout that Big Ears fest sometime.
                        Changed your tune pretty quickly there.

Comment

Changed your tune pretty quickly there.
                          You're not the only one who noticed that...

This board has a long and proud history of people grandly pontificating about how "BNA's have ruined jazzfest!!!" and "I ONLY listen to local New Orleans bands and have never even been within 300 yards of the Acura Stage with all of the clueless Philistine tourists!!!" or "There should ONLY be Louisiana bands at Fest, period!!!" but when it is a band that they like (oh, say maybe like Carlos Santana for example) then they quickly sing a different tune.

(Now can we PLEASE get back to debating the finer points of the London Jazz scene?)
                          Last edited by MormonMatthew; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

• It does seem a scaled down Jazz Fest with no BNAs in the Fall is too much like what FQF could be. BNAs are part of Jazz Fest now, surely part of the economic calculation as far as who would draw people willing to pay $80. I don't see a Jazz Fest that isn't like it usually is being viable.

What the FQF does is still way up in the air, as well. I would assume they could continue to make plans for it at its normal time...not sure if that is happening now or not as no one I know has heard anything from them...as it seems there would be less contractual problems if they had to move it. Or maybe they are planning for it in the Fall already. Who knows? Needless to say, it is difficult to make any plans regarding mass gatherings at this point particularly with vaccinations off to a slow rollout.

As an aside, I played a gig on the Northshore this weekend, my first since March. It was outdoors on the patio and we were socially distanced being as no one was gonna sit out in 42 degrees to listen to us anyways. Inside at the bar, people were sitting right next to each other maskless. I got the distinct impression I was looked at askance when I went in there to pee wearing a mask. I can say it made me extremely uncomfortable to be in that environment. Clearly, if having a pint is so important to you, you are not going to have been careful over the holidays, as well. Everyone masks up where I live in NOLA...it really isn't an issue. It felt odd and dangerous to be where people don't do that and it didn't give me hope this will be ending anytime soon.
                            Last edited by chopitulas; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post

You're not the only one who noticed that...

This board has a long and proud history of people grandly pontificating about how "BNA's have ruined jazzfest!!!" and "I ONLY listen to local New Orleans bands and have never even been within 300 yards of the Acura Stage with all of the clueless Philistine tourists!!!" or "There should ONLY be Louisiana bands at Fest, period!!!" but when it is a band that they like (oh, say maybe like Carlos Santana for example) then they quickly sing a different tune.

(Now can we PLEASE get back to debating the finer points of the London Jazz scene?)
                              I've never said that BNAs have ruined Jazz Fest. I have said that acts like Katy Perry, Pitbull or Lorde have no place there but they easy to just ignore. If the Fest was only La acts it would not be the great Fest that it is. We already have The FQF. As for the London Jazz scene, it's of fire! haha. Nice to be debating about music though instead of masks, vaccines or politics!

Comment

• Originally posted by 20/20 View Post

I saw them during that tour in a suburb of Washington, DC. That was really something. Seen them many, many, many times and every time time you are tempted to say "that was the best ever" so I won't venture there, but that business enterprise known as the "Rolling Stones" is just a phenomenon , virtually a force of nature. I am presently reading a book entitled The Last Days of John Lennon" and while I realize that the Beatles predate many of the youngsters on this board, I suspect many know at least something about them and some of the obstacles that they faced. I will type the words Yoko Ono just as one illustration. Presuming that the author is honest and truthful in his narrative I am completely stunned at the amount of drug use by the group. Grateful Dead not withstanding this group, the did some serious psychedelics as well as every other form of a means of "getting by" that I know of and they still held together. For as long as they could. Then folded the tent and said their "good byes". The Stones??? Still moving right along. Amazing. Just amazing.
                                I did see The Stones twice in 2019, here in NOLA and at Met Life in NJ. Had a blast at both shows, thought they were better in NJ but overall they are many years past their prime. It's more about the songs and having a good time and thinking it will be the last time.

Comment

Working...
                                X