So What's It Like Where You Are At?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So What's It Like Where You Are At?

A couple of days ago I was reading a different thread and was very surprised to learn that apparently bars are closed in New Orleans. I am almost certain I saw here on the board that bars were allowed to reopen a couple of months ago, but maybe I misunderstood?

What about places that are a combination of bar and restaurant, like for example Copper Monkey, Alibi or Cooter Brown's, are they open? If so, can you just order drinks without getting any food? If so, I would imagine that the owners of a place like Chart Room (which I assume is closed?) that doesn't serve food must have a team of attorneys filing lawsoots against the city 24/7 claiming unfair discrimination against their businesses.

For people who go out to eat, what are the rules? Do you need to wear a mask unless you are actually eating? Are the servers wearing masks? Is there space between tables for distancing?
    ---------------------------------
    Over here, bars and restaurants are open, servers and bartenders typically are wearing masks, but it isn't strictly enforced, especially in places with outdoor patio dining. Masks are legally required on public transportation, and even though I have never seen cops getting on a tram to do a spot check, I would say that 95% of people wear their mask out of social obligation. Movie theaters just reopened, but I am not sure of the rules in place for attendees. In supermarkets and smaller shops, most people put on a mask, but I don't think it is required, only voluntary.

So, what's it like where you are at? Can you go out for a drink or a pizza like always, or is it only delivery or takeout? It is still hard to wrap my head around how much the entire world has changed since March.

Hope everyone is healthy and holding on, try to remember, "One Way Or Another, This Darkness Got To Give..."

MM

Hey, MM, always good to hear from you.

"A couple of days ago I was reading a different thread and was very surprised to learn that apparently bars are closed in New Orleans. I am almost certain I saw here on the board that bars were allowed to reopen a couple of months ago, but maybe I misunderstood?" ***They had opened, and then closed again when the numbers spiked.

"What about places that are a combination of bar and restaurant, like for example Copper Monkey, Alibi or Cooter Brown's, are they open? If so, can you just order drinks without getting any food? If so, I would imagine that the owners of a place like Chart Room (which I assume is closed?) that doesn't serve food must have a team of attorneys filing lawsoots against the city 24/7 claiming unfair discrimination against their businesses." ***It depends on your permit. If you have a restaurant permit, you are allowed to be open and serve. You must order food with your drink. And no to-go drinks. There have been a few lawsuits against the state governor, but in each, the judge has sided with the governor. No lawsuits locally against the mayor that I'm aware of.

"For people who go out to eat, what are the rules? Do you need to wear a mask unless you are actually eating? Are the servers wearing masks? Is there space between tables for distancing?" ***I have not dined out in New Orleans yet, but did spend a weekend in Dallas where we went out once. You wear a mask to enter and walk about, but can remove it once you're seated at your table. All servers and employees were masked. Tables were spread out (only every third table was used). And while inside dining was an option, the majority of my family agreed that it was patio or nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by festbabe View Post

"For people who go out to eat, what are the rules? Do you need to wear a mask unless you are actually eating? Are the servers wearing masks? Is there space between tables for distancing?" ***I have not dined out in New Orleans yet, but did spend a weekend in Dallas where we went out once. You wear a mask to enter and walk about, but can remove it once you're seated at your table. All servers and employees were masked. Tables were spread out (only every third table was used). And while inside dining was an option, the majority of my family agreed that it was patio or nothing.
      In NOLA, you do have to purchase food in order to buy drinks. But I think a group of 4 can split an order of fries; there just needs to be a food charge on the ticket. I think the rule is that diners have to wear masks only when not seated (coming, going, bathroom). Enforcement probably varies. Indoor capacity is limited to I think 25% or 50% of pre-covid.
      Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

I see social media posts from Bacchanal - they were mostly outside dining anyhow, so either moving tables out for social distancing or leaving some unoccupied would work for them. I’ve been really busy and haven’t read any of the COVID guidelines for opening out our way, but it seems to be tied to food service. If you’re a taproom or beer garden with adequate outdoor seating, patrons still have to purchase a food item (once) in order to get a pour. Masks are worn at all times by staff, and the public has to wear their masks to get seated and when moving away from their table. Most are trying to maintain a one way in, one way out traffic pattern so there aren’t bottlenecks. Restaurants have worked it out with our city to use the sidewalks to place spaced-apart table seating and shunting pedestrians into the currently unnecessary street parking areas - and using k-rail to protect both diners and walkers. We’re “lucky” in that our back-to-mild weather here could allow some al fresco dining/drinking spots to stay open into November.

Music performance at any of these places is still a pretty contentious deal here. We were scheduled to play a beer garden last weekend but opted to re-schedule due to smoke & air quality. We’re trying again this weekend. I have a lot of empathy for the liquor-only indoor-only night spots who’ve never reopened thru all of this.
        Last edited by duende; 4 days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post

In NOLA, you do have to purchase food in order to buy drinks. But I think a group of 4 can split an order of fries; there just needs to be a food charge on the ticket. I think the rule is that diners have to wear masks only when not seated (coming, going, bathroom). Enforcement probably varies. Indoor capacity is limited to I think 25% or 50% of pre-covid.
          The situation in Philadelphia is similar: in Pennsylvania, dine in alcohol sales must be accompanied by a "meal". We've visited a number of craft breweries (always outdoors) where the "meal" requirement offerings have ranged from sandwiches prepacked in takeout containers, food trucks (show receipt to be served), $1 hotdogs, or $2 slices of pizza. TBH, I don't mind it. I get that it may not work for many business owners, but I think it has the possibility of helping two industries stay afloat: food truck operators have a place to vend and craft brewers can continue serving inside their tap rooms.

Masks must be worn when not seated, and I typically see pretty good adherence - at least here in the city and the near-suburbs. I've spent a fair amount of time in semi-rural counties this summer where adherence can be a little less than what I'd like to see.

PA has permitted indoor dining at limited capacity- I think 25% originally but now 50%, however the city of Philadelphia has been under tighter restrictions. Restaurants just recently opened with 25% capacity. I haven't dined in, but I've passed by places and dined outside at businesses that had limited indoor seating and honestly, with the limited capacity, its like three tables of people spread out across corners of the establishment. It just hasn't seemed like a big deal to me. And PA hasn't reversed this restriction (and Governor Wolf's administration has been very strict- which I appreciate) so I think it must be working out alright.

My opinion is that life needs to go on-safely- but it needs to go on. Businesses need to make money and folks like myself who are in good health and fully intending to abide by all advisement from the State ought to be out supporting businesses- again, safely. Folks who are higher risk or just less comfortable shouldn't but I think that we are able to participate in the new normal differently. There's been some weekends where things have felt almost normal around here. Life just doesn't feel as disrupted as it did a few months ago.

Comment

Boston is probably about 75% full now, most crowded since the March outbreak/shutdown. Most of the college students are back but we’re still light on tourists, especially international. Like other U.S. cities we do have outside dining, limited in-door dining, and no bars. Servers all wear masks, customers masked until seated. I’ll probably stick with takeout until there is dramatic improvement.

I’d say we are right now in a very delicate moment with all the openings, restriction-fatigue, and the cold weather coming. Israel just locked down again and Spain, France and others are poised for new limited lockdowns. Hold on to your hat because the ride might get rough!

Comment

About the same here on FLA's Best Coast.

Driving thru downtown St Pete I saw concrete highway barriers that had been placed in the street - effectively transforming some angle-in parking spaces into outdoor seating options for adjacent restaurants. The barriers were stenciled with a 'Restart St Pete' logo. Weird, but not the weirdest thang to be seen this year. That distinction involves politicians, who will not be named herein...

My sweet wife's birfday is tomorrow (Fri. 18th), and that will be our first in-restaurant, fine-dining kinda experience, since a pandemic was declared. We may opt for outdoor seating, depending on the weather.

I'm more of a homebody these daze, and I do my drinking in private, just me and the bottle. In a closed room. With the blinds drawn. Like Goddess and Mother Nature intended... There are frequently tears shed, too. But: Let them cry! I'm not sharing my 'medicine' with anyone! Wait, what?!

KIDDING. I joke...

I think we're about the same, here on FLA's Best Coast.

Driving thru downtown St Pete I saw concrete highway barriers that had been placed in the street - effectively transforming some angle-in parking spaces into outdoor seating options for adjacent restaurants. The barriers were stenciled with a 'Restart St Pete' logo. Weird, but not the weirdest thang seen this year. That distinction involves politicians, who will NOT be named, and their idiot supporters...

My sweet wife's birfday is tomorrow (Fri. 18th), and that will be our first in-restaurant, fine-dining kinda experience, since the pandemic was declared. We may opt for outdoor seating, depending on the weather.

In truth, with age, I've turned into more of a homeboy than ever. And, with no live music being made and played, my opportunity/desire to go to bars has been greatly diminished. (One of) Our most beloved venues: Skipper's Smokehouse, is CLOSED INDEFINITELY... in an abundance of caution, so it's said. I suspect also, because the restaurant and bar and live music portion are side-by-side-by-side. Even though the music venue is mostly outdoors, under the oaks - I imagine it's hard to turn a profit at WAY LESS than capacity. Heck - until recently, there hasn't even been sports on TV to attract that kinda crowd ...

Our semi-beloved Governor (emphasis on semi) has embodied surprisingly poor decision-making skills, despite claiming to be a graduate of good schools (Yale & Harvard Law), and service to our country as a Naval Officer. It could be that he's starved for oxygen, because his head is stuck up our (not-so-beloved) President's arse. Where it has been since he decided to run for Governor last year. Sigh: I digress, after saying I wouldn't.

As always: Your mileage may vary. Results shown are not typical. See a doctor if it lasts less than four hours. Preferably, a good-looking lady doctor. WAIT! Don't moderate me, bro!: I've ALWAYS treated womens with respect. I only ever grabbed lady parts with their express written consent - or at least some invitation from their end.

Seriously: WTF?! Even if you don't have a wife or sister, everyone has a Mother. What would she think of your bad behaviors?! Ahem!

Ummm... What was this Thread about, again? ​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by freebo View Post
                I'm more of a homebody these daze, and I do my drinking in private, just me and the bottle. In a closed room. With the blinds drawn. Like Goddess and Mother Nature intended... There are frequently tears shed, too. But: Let them cry! I'm not sharing my 'medicine’ with anyone;
                I hear you. And my prescription includes ganja. Another 6 months like this and I’ll be a Rastafarian.

Happy Birthday to your wife!

Comment

Working...
                X