Another One Bites the Dust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another One Bites the Dust?

Apparently the days of the Circle Bar are numbered. A real local's place--it maintained the eclectic feel of the best New Orleans clubs long after the tourist boom distorted the scene most everywhere else.

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...75403677d.html

I heard that. Bummer. Black Laurel played some of it's first shows there. Gasa Gasa, Circle Bar.....who's next ?

Comment

Sadly from what I have heard their lease in not going to be renewed and there have been stories going around that the building will be renovated and that some type of Air BNB action may happen on the site. Major bummer as I have always had fun there

Comment

Originally posted by belyin View Post
        Apparently the days of the Circle Bar are numbered. A real local's place--it maintained the eclectic feel of the best New Orleans clubs long after the tourist boom distorted the scene most everywhere else.

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...75403677d.html
        Funny thing is I only went there as a tourist. Never went there the 10 years that I lived here. They had better acts years back.

Even though it's not COVID related it does suck seeing music clubs closing. Things go in cycles. Hopefully in a year or two some new clubs will spring up.

Comment

The clarinet choir that I'm played there a couple times. Once, the manager (I think) was filming it for Facebook, and the comment on Facebook was "What kind of group is that?!?" and the reply was "The Circle Bar Philharmonic". I always chuckle when I think about that.

Comment

Follow up article with more details
            When Circle Bar co-owner Dave Clements arrived for an Oct. 8 meeting at the office of the bar’s landlord, prominent philanthropist and energy company executive Phyllis M. Taylor, he didn’t

Comment

What a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by belyin View Post
                Follow up article with more details
                Thanks belyin for the post. I ignored the article and would have missed it. Fascinating article. Keith did some pretty fair writing on this one. Captured a great deal more than just a story about the bar. From the homeless to real estate to individual bands and their perspectives to Oh My Gawd Snake and Jakes!! Lots of good stuff. Thanks again.

Comment

It was a good article. I was glad that Keith gave a nice shout out to Kelly Keller. Kelly was the first music world person I met in New Orleans--she was working at The Mushroom on Broadway with a college acquaintance of mine. She was always committed to the intersection of roots music with rocknroll attitude. My last particular memory of her was seeing Lenny Kaye (Patti Smith guitarist) waltz her around the Circle Bar to the music of Alex McMurray.

The Circle Bar was the location for the first Knights of the Mau Mau (Ponderosa Stomp) shows that I remember: Andre Williams (with the unlikely combination of Quintron, Hart McNee, and Derrick Huston) and Barbara Lynn. While mostly known for roots rock, they were open to much of the eclectic scene of the time. There was a time in the late 90's when many of the usual Downtown venues (Dragon's Den, Cafe Brasil, Kaldi's, etc.) were not booking live music, and the Circle Bar seemed happy to pick up some of the slack. The music for the first two records I produced (i.e., Rob Wagner Trio, Naked on the Floor) really came together there. Like the nearby (if walking, not driving!) Mermaid Lounge, they were supportive of creative voices and not mere genre forms. Besides losing Kelly in 2004 that is when the Mermaid closed as well removing the all important ability for a scene to develop around bouncing back-in-forth between the two venues. One club in isolation is a very hard row to hoe.

Comment

Working...
                  X