Zeta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zeta

She's blowing through right now. We aren't there, but we're hearing from those who are. Eye passing through. Now everybody has to deal with Zeta's back end. Be gone and take Covid with you, Zeta.

Always interesting when that "eye" passes right over you. If it's a fast moving storm or if it really does not pass right over you it can be hardly noticeable to some extent, but if it's a big "blow" and it's slow moving than the "eye" event is always interesting. I have adopted a number of feral cats that habitat my street in the bushes. I try to rush down if the flooding is not too bad and check on who has survived and how. Cats are survivors, unlike dogs. You find them clinging to trees, up in the rafters of homes bottom spaces and so forth. They just "deal". Hurricanes, whew. Good luck NoLa'ites.

Comment

Lisa is still without power Uptown, but the outages are quite random as other friends of our did not loose power at all

Some of the windows of the apartment upstairs at the front have been blown out and the cover over the top of my pushies has been mangled and ripped apart.

And a lot of siding has come off between the two big old houses that have an alley between them and there is broken glass all through that part

There was a big tree down not far away but she did not think there was any major structural damage to any of the other apartments, as they had not called her.

She has just been having a look outside as the storm is gone and she said everything was covered in green from all the leaves and foliage flying through the air.

The weather is forecast to be fine for the big clean up day tomorrow

Comment

It was bad but I doubt any winds over 70-80. I took a 20 min or so walk when the eye came over. The sky was this weird orange and everything stopped. I came back into the house and all of the sudden it got the windiest it has been. Lots of debris all over the place but no real damage anywhere in my neighborhood. No idea why our power stayed on. Most of my area in Mid City is out including my neighbors next door.

Comment

Power situation is very random at present.

Lisa still has no power in her area on Prytania near Napoleon , but she reckons that the rest of Uptown is all good

Good luck with the clean up tomorrow

Comment

Thanks for all the posts. I'm worried, but hopefully optimistic, about our place in Algiers Point and all my neighbors there. Rosetree has checked in on Book of Face saying they are all good. Glad it was a quickie, and hope everybody gets power back soon.

Comment

Lisa still had no power 30 minutes ago but is getting on with cleaning up etc and hoping for the best. The greatest pain is that the guy next door has a big arse generator and it is a very noisy one.
              So she cant leave the windows open at night.
              If I was there I would be asking for him to throw a power lead over the fence

She said that things are not too bad where she has been today, she drove down Saint Charlie towards her brothers place not far from the Leaf area and she said the was lots of debris but not any big trees down along there, but one was down on Maple Street I think she said.

I wish everyone all the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Gards View Post
                Lisa still had no power 30 minutes ago but is getting on with cleaning up etc and hoping for the best. The greatest pain is that the guy next door has a big arse generator and it is a very noisy one.
                So she cant leave the windows open at night.
                If I was there I would be asking for him to throw a power lead over the fence

She said that things are not too bad where she has been today, she drove down Saint Charlie towards her brothers place not far from the Leaf area and she said the was lots of debris but not any big trees down along there, but one was down on Maple Street I think she said.

I wish everyone all the best.
                I feel for Lisa and the noise. New Orleans does not really get that many hurricanes and generators are rare. Here where I live hurricanes are regular and consistent unwelcome visitors. Our electricity is cut off whenever the wind exceeds 75 mph for fire and safety reasons. It is absolutely astonishing to me the number of people who have never been able to afford or inclined to buy a generator. I for sure am not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I figured out almost immediately that a generator was as important as a cold beer. Well actually a generator allows me to HAVE a cold beer. I have developed the philosophy that I need to be prepared to go five days without commercial power. It has served me well. But man, they do indeed make noise. I don't have many neighbors and the mandatory evacuation orders drive the tourists away during hurricane season but I feel bad for those around me when my generator is running. Even worse, they know that I have cold beer, ice and coffee. And A/C.

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post

I feel for Lisa and the noise. New Orleans does not really get that many hurricanes and generators are rare. Here where I live hurricanes are regular and consistent unwelcome visitors. Our electricity is cut off whenever the wind exceeds 75 mph for fire and safety reasons. It is absolutely astonishing to me the number of people who have never been able to afford or inclined to buy a generator. I for sure am not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I figured out almost immediately that a generator was as important as a cold beer. Well actually a generator allows me to HAVE a cold beer. I have developed the philosophy that I need to be prepared to go five days without commercial power. It has served me well. But man, they do indeed make noise. I don't have many neighbors and the mandatory evacuation orders drive the tourists away during hurricane season but I feel bad for those around me when my generator is running. Even worse, they know that I have cold beer, ice and coffee. And A/C.
                  Just got the news that Lisa has power back on, so she is happy now.

RE Generators I have been serenaded by them a few times when I have been w#rking on Festival sites and my provided accom ends up being near a real big one, although they are partially silenced. The big refrigerated containers can be worse as the motor comes on whenever the Thermostat tells it to. And that can be a real pain in the arse if you sleeping close by

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post

You are "absolutely astonished" that many people don't have a generator? Did you know that half of all American adults are unable to come up with $400 cash? OK boomer.

Comment

Around Mid City, besides a lot of people without power, lots of trees and power poles down, traffic signs snapped off and a few roofs blown off. Much worse in towns closer closer to the gulf. Sad that a big oak on Esplanade right by Lola's broke apart and another one on Bayou St John. All in all it could have been worse.

Comment

Power just came on for us last night. Casualties are $200 worth of food from fridge, roof and siding damage at Treme rental and worst of all, the loss of a week long Airbnb customer. A thousand bucks we DESPERATELY needed gone with the Zeta winds.

I forgot about the back end of the eye thing. When the winds calmed down, I decided to take our 7 pound Maltese for a walk and survey the neighborhood. Needless to say, my little pooch went airborne when the first big gust came and I had a doggie kite for a few seconds. Our block also had an impromptu Hurricane Party and we got pretty sauced.

As someone with no house or flood insurance ( just fire ) I pray that the 2020 hurricane season is done with us !!

Comment

Were people surprised that the wind returned with similar fury after the eye passed?

Comment

The craziest it got was right after the eye went over. I too went for a walk thinking we had probably seen the worst already. As soon as I got back home it was pandemonium! It did not last long though. Luckily it was a very fast moving storm.

Comment

I was one of the lucky few as my power never went out. I live literally the first house in off So. Carrollton near the Maple Leaf and must get my electricity off the So. Carrollton wires that must be stronger for the street cars. Three houses on my block had power but the last house on the corner didn't and it was dark from there on down as far as you could see. I think that part of my street is still out. The blackness reminded me of what it was like when I first got back after Katrina and much of the city was still dark. Very eerie then driving down Claiborne with total blackness on either side.

I was here for Isaac when the winds blew 80 mph all night. I hear these winds were over 100. Very lucky it moved through as quick as it did.

The Carrollton area got ripped up pretty good with downed trees and limbs all over most streets and several utility poles toppled. I guess it made the national news but in front of Zotz on Oak St. a block from the Maple Leaf, a transformer fell on a car that was, for some reason, parked the wrong way in front of Zotz. Definitely were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

My internet just came back this afternoon but, for some reason, no cable TV. (Luckily, I have the digital box that allows rabbit ears to work that I set up 10 years ago and hadn't touched but worked for local channels when I tried it. There is a Morgus special tonight I am happy I will still be able to view.)

Hope you locals are doing OK!
                              Last edited by chopitulas; 10-31-2020, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X