The Art and Hobby of collecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Art and Hobby of collecting

Well, the elections are over and live music in it's variety of apparitions is at a minimalist state, so perhaps a non-confrontational and non-controversial thread might be introduced by yours truly. I actually have a question and genuinely would be interested in you folks thoughts. I happened to be doing some research on some old coins that I have saved over the decades. It turns out that the hobby of numismatics or coin collecting is fading away. That made me stop and ponder the entire universe of collecting and saving (some might say hoarding) a variety of items. I've collected baseball cards and coins and tee-shirts and Jazzfest posters, just about anything that has struck my fancy over my lifetime. Now however, it seems to me be it rightly or wrongly that that entire activity of "collecting" perhaps even hobbies is disappearing. Does anyone here still "collect" and if not why does it not appeal to you? Just curious.

I collect scalps and still rather enjoy it.

Comment

Glass..... everyone should collect blown glass

Comment

As a kid I collected coins, baseball cards, Whacky Package cards ( remember them ? ), stickers and my favorite......beer cans.

Only thing I collect as an adult are aches and pains.

Comment

Records, cds, songs.

Comment

I guess that as an addendum or follow-up to my original post was my pondering as to whether "collecting" or "saving" has any attraction for the younger generations. We used to value artifacts, real or imagined. "That was My Grandmothers" meant a great deal. An antique table or piece of blown glass, ect. was sought after. I cannot recall having any of my friends children pointing out their collections or having old items on display when visiting their homes. It just occurred to me as a question as I was looking at these old silver dollars and dimes and such.

Comment

I do collect CDs. I have many more in my house one than ones I have listened to all the way through, I'll gladly admit. Part of acquiring them is the collecting aspect.

When burning your own became a thing, it was such a treat to be able to make your own "record," taking what used to be satisfied by going to used record shops or making a cassette to another level. Oh, that continued at places like Amoeba for me but being able to make them yourself at a higher quality and convenience level than cassettes was a treat, particularly given the free-wheeling days of Napster. Then came the file sharing sites like the current dimeadozen where legally acquired live shows could be shared. I have tons of music from there that I have "collected" that I wouldn't have been able to hear otherwise, jazz in particular.

As my buddy Shaggy once said when asked "Are you really going to listen to all those live Dead shows you have on CD?" He said, "I don't know but I like knowing I could if I wanted to."

Guitars, basses specifically, are another thing I collect. If I buy one, I keep it. Some people swap guitars out regularly, I have kept every one I've bought.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post

Guitars, basses specifically, are another thing I collect. If I buy one, I keep it. Some people swap guitars out regularly, I have kept every one I've bought.
                'Atta Boy

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post

'Atta Boy
                  I did replace the bridge on my Gibson Ripper from the 70's. I had Fat Dog in Berkeley put a Badass Bridge on it because I finally figured out the original had a burr that was causing me to break strings all the time. Now, I regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post

I did replace the bridge on my Gibson Ripper from the 70's. I had Fat Dog in Berkeley put a Badass Bridge on it because I finally figured out the original had a burr that was causing me to break strings all the time. Now, I regret it.
                    Way past my skill set. I'm impressed. I think.

Comment

Way past my skill set. I'm impressed. I think.
                      Oh, I didn't do the work. A noted Bay Area guitar tech named Fat Dog who had a shop called Subway Guitars did it. Back then, it was kind of a thing to hot rod your instrument with third party add-ons. Now, "vintage" is appreciated.

Comment

jazz fest posters?

I sold all my baseball cards or most long ago. Fun hobby as a kid. What an idiot, regardless of their worth declining over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by McGregor View Post
                          jazz fest posters?

I sold all my baseball cards or most long ago. Fun hobby as a kid. What an idiot, regardless of their worth declining over the years.
                          Hopefully you held on to your 1954 Topps Mickie Mantle rookie card, the one in mint condition?

or did you use a close pin to attach it to the spokes of your bicycle so it would make that "flap-flap" noise as you pedaled around?

Comment

I think it involved needing money as a college student likely for something very stupid.

Comment

Hopefully you held on to your 1954 Topps Mickie Mantle rookie card, the one in mint condition?

or did you use a close pin to attach it to the spokes of your bicycle so it would make that "flap-flap" noise as you pedaled around?
                              A balloon gives you a better tone, more like a motorcycle.

Comment

Working...
                              X