How Much Is Too Much For A Webcast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Headless Hornman View Post
    I've viewed a few online concerts this year and they just don't work for me. And when I saw the Rads price I said 'nope.' But then I realized that there's a good chance that one of those nights will be a tribute to Joe Perez. I'll buy that if it's possible to confirm which one.
    Hornman, I don't know if Joe Perez (who I did not actually know) did the intros or anything that night, but the Tipitina's record club will be releasing a Rads LP from jazzfest "97 (not the whole show of course) and the record is called Kung Pow. Might be worth your looking into.

Comment

Maybe this' ll help you out a l'il bit: their 2019 JFest bonus gig was uprooted outta Tip's, and beautifully staged @ the Civic. The crowd could clearly see the band ... the band could clearly see the crowd ... everybody danced, everybody rocked and the sound was pure perfection (unfortunately, as recorded by my iPhone, the sound kinda sucks). Was hopeful for a return to the Civic for '20 but ... hopefully this year. Via a solid source, the band loved the gig. Here's the show closer ...https://youtu.be/CPYk3Sdv5b4

Comment

Originally posted by Headless Hornman View Post
        I've viewed a few online concerts this year and they just don't work for me. And when I saw the Rads price I said 'nope.' But then I realized that there's a good chance that one of those nights will be a tribute to Joe Perez. I'll buy that if it's possible to confirm which one.
        If you find our which one, if any is dedicated to Joe- can you post something so we know? We'd buy that show too- but otherwise probably not this time around.... I know he often did their intros. missing him and his posts about the upcoming shows.....
        Thanks much

Comment

Originally posted by denbear View Post
          Maybe this' ll help you out a l'il bit: their 2019 JFest bonus gig was uprooted outta Tip's, and beautifully staged @ the Civic. The crowd could clearly see the band ... the band could clearly see the crowd ... everybody danced, everybody rocked and the sound was pure perfection (unfortunately, as recorded by my iPhone, the sound kinda sucks). Was hopeful for a return to the Civic for '20 but ... hopefully this year. Via a solid source, the band loved the gig. Here's the show closer ...https://youtu.be/CPYk3Sdv5b4
          A rare post from the Mighty Denbear !!

Comment

Anyone else buy a “ticket” for the Iguanas at d.b.a. tomorrow? File under supportive slow learner.

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post
              Anyone else buy a “ticket” for the Iguanas at d.b.a. tomorrow? File under supportive slow learner.
              Well, I'm going to now!

Catching up on this thread: I'm a little behind the times on the livestream shows. Early during the pandemic I tuned in often- now not as frequently- I was distracted by buying a house and moving to another state (a close state, but another state). I bought a ticket for the Tips NYE program and really enjoyed it a lot. I'll be keeping an eye out for similar programs that interest me- the Radiators couldn't possibly interest me any less, so no debate for me over the ticket price though my instinct is that the price is fair.

I typically toss anywhere from $7 - $25 in the tip jar for the livestream shows that aren't ticketed and I have no issue with musicians charging within that range. I like the Patreon models a lot- I contribute to Low Cut Connie, Andrew Duhon and Panorama Jazz Band (though they aren't on Patreon). I feel a lot of stress thinking about our beloved musicians suffering without their regular income and creative outlets and I'm glad to chip in directly to the musicians. I'm sure most of this crowd feel the same way.

Comment

Sorry for the multiple posts but I have another thought to share. I know a lot of folks have had a lot of trouble streaming stuff to their TVs and I just want to recommend buying an Apple TV.

I am AWFUL with technology and I can use it no problem- you just plug it into your wall and then connect it to your television. there's an app for Nugs.tv so you can sign in and stream your tips stuff. If you use other apple devices you can really easily connect those devices to the apple tv. For instance, if there's a show I want to watch that isn't on youtube or whatever, I can just click the little icon in my browser on my iphone and send it to the apple tv to play on my big tv and through my soundbar etc. It couldn't be easier and believe me, I need it to be easy because I am 100% dependent on my workplace's helpdesk to help me with shit I should know how to do. The basic Apple TV thing costs $149. I have a fancy smart tv that I use for some stuff, but the apple tv really makes it easier and allows me to access more stuff. It might be a good investment if shit ain't working.

Comment

Feel sorry for the musicians, venues, tourism industry, and of course, all those suffering from the bug itself, especially families of those that have been hospitalized or worse yet, have passed. That said, I personally could care less about webcasts saving this and that. They are depressing. Sullen musicians, some in masks, in front of a camera, makes me wonder what I have seen in trying to catch these folks live. The real show is US, the audience. The music and venue is ancillary. It is the feeling I seek and damned if I am going to prop up an industry that was having a hell of a time making it during the pre pandemic daze. If anyone wants to empty their wallets, feel free. Thank God I have enjoyed so many festivals, shows, and on. That was then. It's taken this pandemic for me to realize that there is more to life than live shows and festivals. Teetertotter the Jazzfest Grinch!

Comment

Well I pulled the trigger on the Rads stream and must say it was a smoker. They played so many hits, can't wait for tonight.

Comment

Working...
                    X