Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 French Quarter Fest, Sept 30-Oct 3

New dates officially announced for FQF.
    First in-person event I've put on my calendar for this year.
    https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...m_campaign=snd

Even in the fall, French Quarter Festival will be different. The layout will be altered to some degree. Expect an abundance of hand-sanitizing stations and other concessions to U.S. Centers for Disease Control protocols and guidelines.

But it should more or less resemble a "normal" French Quarter Festival
    Aside from Covid, I wonder what changes might be affected by the change of dates? Less crawfish, of course. Would some stages end earlier due to the earlier sunset? Besides traffic, would a Saints home game add additional challenges?
    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

So a rescheduled JF could fit into the 2 weekends immediately following FQF?

Comment

They all had better watch their step. Anyone with even a modicum of good taste, spirit and common sense will be down in Lafayette with the "coon-asses" for the Festivals Acadiens et Cre'oles once they announce their schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post
          They all had better watch their step. Anyone with even a modicum of good taste, spirit and common sense will be down in Lafayette with the "coon-asses" for the Festivals Acadiens et Cre'oles once they announce their schedule.
          Only if you show proof of vaccination and appreciation of Jerry Garcia !!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadyTree View Post
            I booked a hotel for the next 3 weekends, just in case, 2 days ago!!! and i'm getting my covid vaccine in 2 hours...bring on JF

Comment

Originally posted by ShadyTree View Post
              I hope there is at least one week in between if they have a JF. That is how it was going to be last year due to women's Final Four, too much in too short a time. Usually there is a week separating the two fests. I'm all for both but that is a long ways off. It will be different being in the Fall. that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post

Aside from Covid, I wonder what changes might be affected by the change of dates? Less crawfish, of course. Would some stages end earlier due to the earlier sunset? Besides traffic, would a Saints home game add additional challenges?
                A Sun night Saints game would be cool. Fest during the day, Da Dome at night.

Comment

I suppose putting on the re-scheduled Spring festivals in the fall would keep the festival brands alive and would give locals and a contingent of starved tourists a chance to revel in the only-mostly-virus-free environs. What I'm trying to get my head around is how large would any of the Apr-May fests have to be in order to be profitable, or at least not hemorrhage carry-over funds from 2019? Voodoo Fest draws a whopping 180K for the weekend, which actually sounded like a lot when I read it. If FQF sets up the first weekend in October, what are the chances of Jazzfest drawing even half of its typical attendance if it gets sandwiched in-between FQF and Voodoo? Two 3-day weekends of Jazzfest with prices-proportional-to-gate would probably wind up looking a lot like FQF. And Voodoo Fest would probably end up losing tens of thousands in attendance if Jazzfest gets scheduled mid-October. I think this was a quick-and-the-dead business decision, and Jazzfest was very slow making their move. Having said all that, Oktoberfest at Deutsches Haus would be a fairly hot ticket that time of year, and I could pack light - wear the eff out of the lederhosen, maybe even wear it on the plane there and back! I'm gonna need more Alpine-Socken.

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

Only if you show proof of vaccination and appreciation of Jerry Garcia !!
                    apropos to nothing I sort of think and deserving to be in the "all things Grateful Dead" thread but man, golly gee, I sure do miss Mr. Garcia.

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post
                      . And Voodoo Fest would probably end up losing tens of thousands in attendance if Jazzfest gets scheduled mid-October....
                      I dunno, from both a musical perspective and a target-audience point-of-view, latter-day VooDoo Fests (for at least the past 5 years or so, if not more) and recent Jazzfests are practically polar opposites.

VooDoo is now seemingly a Southern Cochella, with virtually no local NOLA bands of note to speak of, and I would assume an average attendee age difference of -30 years compared to who a typical Jazzfest crowd is made up of these days.

These days, seemingly the only thing they have in common is both are large-scale music festivals that just so happen to be held in the same city.

(Of course all of this is theoretical, I am not holding my breath on ANY large festivals taking place in 2021, but we can all hope for the best)

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post

I dunno, from both a musical perspective and a target-audience point-of-view, latter-day VooDoo Fests (for at least the past 5 years or so, if not more) and recent Jazzfests are practically polar opposites.

VooDoo is now seemingly a Southern Cochella, with virtually no local NOLA bands of note to speak of, and I would assume an average attendee age difference of -30 years compared to who a typical Jazzfest crowd is made up of these days.

These days, seemingly the only thing they have in common is both are large-scale music festivals that just so happen to be held in the same city.

(Of course all of this is theoretical, I am not holding my breath on ANY large festivals taking place in 2021, but we can all hope for the best)
                        I agree with all of these comparisons VF vs JF. I do think large festivals will happen in the fall, though.

Comment

Originally posted by festbabe View Post
                          I do think large festivals will happen in the fall, though.
                          Hope you are right!!!

Comment

The date announcements do not mean that the festivals will definitely happen. They mean that if the festivals happen in 2021, these are the dates.

And I may not be typical, but if Octber is FQF - JF - JF - x - Voodoo, I'll go to them all. And also Hogs too, if they squeeze that onto the other weekend.
                            Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Do you think FQF and Jazzfest will be happening on their normal spring weekends in 2022, though?

Comment

Working...
                              X