2021 French Quarter Fest, Sept 30-Oct 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swag View Post
    The date announcements do not mean that the festivals will definitely happen. They mean that if the festivals happen in 2021, these are the dates.

And I may not be typical, but if Octber is FQF - JF - JF - x - Voodoo, I'll go to them all. And also Hogs too, if they squeeze that onto the other weekend.

Gotta make up for lost time!

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post

I dunno, from both a musical perspective and a target-audience point-of-view, latter-day VooDoo Fests (for at least the past 5 years or so, if not more) and recent Jazzfests are practically polar opposites.

VooDoo is now seemingly a Southern Cochella, with virtually no local NOLA bands of note to speak of, and I would assume an average attendee age difference of -30 years compared to who a typical Jazzfest crowd is made up of these days.

These days, seemingly the only thing they have in common is both are large-scale music festivals that just so happen to be held in the same city.

(Of course all of this is theoretical, I am not holding my breath on ANY large festivals taking place in 2021, but we can all hope for the best)
      I agree. I see no spillover. Totally different demographic. Any fest held here this Oct will be packed including a Blues & BBQ if they could fit that in there.. It will be quite a month. It would be what we were all hoping would happen last Oct, a year later.

Comment

I'd probably be ready to attend a Polka Fest after such a long drought.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

I agree. I see no spillover. Totally different demographic. Any fest held here this Oct will be packed including a Blues & BBQ if they could fit that in there.. It will be quite a month. It would be what we were all hoping would happen last Oct, a year later.
          My hunch is that an October Jazzfest means no Blues & BBQ.
          Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

The date announcements do not mean that the festivals will definitely happen. They mean that if the festivals happen in 2021, these are the dates.

And I may not be typical, but if Octber is FQF - JF - JF - x - Voodoo, I'll go to them all. And also Hogs too, if they squeeze that onto the other weekend.
            I'm curious--why is November never considered for rescheduling? Is it too cold? (I've been to NOLA in November & it wasn't bad)

It doesn't look like that would happen, but it would be a lot less festival competition.

Comment

a buddy who is pretty involved in west coast fest, including cochella, is saying the date announcement is in large part due to the new round of PPP loans. you have to show you are planning to do a festival in order to qualify for a PPP loan. take it FWIW

Comment

Originally posted by halley8 View Post

a buddy who is pretty involved in west coast fest, including cochella, is saying the date announcement is in large part due to the new round of PPP loans. you have to show you are planning to do a festival in order to qualify for a PPP loan. take it FWIW
                That makes sense to me, I will try and get my AEG contacts to sourced some info

Comment

Originally posted by The Krewe of Chew View Post

I'm curious--why is November never considered for rescheduling? Is it too cold? (I've been to NOLA in November & it wasn't bad)

It doesn't look like that would happen, but it would be a lot less festival competition.
                  too cold. You got lucky !!

Comment

Originally posted by The Krewe of Chew View Post

It can be colder.

The sun sets much earlier (standard time)

And for Jazzfest, it's too close to horse racing season which starts Thanksgiving. Even an October Jazzfest will affect racing; if nothing else, the turf course won't have time to recover from having hundreds of thousands of us stomping on the grass.

On the other hand, November would give better odds of not having a hurricane hitting the festival...
                    Last edited by swag; 01-14-2021, 11:21 PM.
                    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

too cold. You got lucky !!
                      Uh, yeah! I was in NOLA for Widespread Panic last Halloween and its was FREEZING!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
                        I'd probably be ready to attend a Polka Fest after such a long drought.
                        Polka can be a blast! I used to play in a German dance band and those were some fun evenings. Those 70-year old men could out-dance my then-30-ish year old self and leave me breathless.

Comment

Those Polka strip bars were notorious

Comment

FQF not likely to happen 2021. Too many people in confined areas when we will still be dealing with the pesky virus. Jazzfest maybe, because of controlled entry, but will need to greatly limit the number of festival goers to allow a modicum of social distancing. Bigger problem than mutation is the mindset of our citizens and government in handling this threat. Doesn't matter who is calling the shots at federal level, some level of authoritarian control, rapid response, and groupthink as you see in Wuhan may be necessary to nip it.

Comment

The least of our problems is a return of large music festivals in 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by teetertotter View Post
                                FQF not likely to happen 2021. Too many people in confined areas when we will still be dealing with the pesky virus. Jazzfest maybe, because of controlled entry, but will need to greatly limit the number of festival goers to allow a modicum of social distancing. Bigger problem than mutation is the mindset of our citizens and government in handling this threat. Doesn't matter who is calling the shots at federal level, some level of authoritarian control, rapid response, and groupthink as you see in Wuhan may be necessary to nip it.
                                Welcome back Totter.

I think from memory you may have some medical skill, although our mutual friend the Blue Blood Hero of Hampstead Heath could have told me that.

So who knows?

I completely agree with you, unless the mindset changes in both the Govt and the general populace, things will take a long time to improve.

Herd immunity V moron immunity.

Perhaps Jazzy Jeff Landry can lead a common sense response to Covid in Louisiana?

Yeah you right
                                Last edited by Gards; 01-16-2021, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X