Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jazz Fest to be postponed to October, source says

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Maybe it is just my newfound cynical nature, (around these parts it is in the water) but it occurs to me that if the NOJ&HF cancelled 2021's Jazzfest now, people on the foundation with paid positions would be without a paycheck for the forseeable future, but by forging ahead and planning for an October Fest (however unlikely that may be) they are able to continue to draw an income, and if things actually somehow improve enough to hold Fest, it is a "Win/Win" for everyone, if not, at least a few lucky people still kept working for a few additional months, which these days is at least some small bit of good news.

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post
      Maybe it is just my newfound cynical nature, (around these parts it is in the water) but it occurs to me that if the NOJ&HF cancelled 2021's Jazzfest now, people on the foundation with paid positions would be without a paycheck for the forseeable future, but by forging ahead and planning for an October Fest (however unlikely that may be) they are able to continue to draw an income, and if things actually somehow improve enough to hold Fest, it is a "Win/Win" for everyone, if not, at least a few lucky people still kept working for a few additional months, which these days is at least some small bit of good news.
      Well, if they currently have people on the payroll, they may qualify for a second round of Payroll Protection $. They only have to retain employees to have the "loan" forgiven; they don't necessarily have to have a festival.

      Having said that, I really hope both festivals happen.

      Comment


      • #78
        I saved a thousand Euro the last two years and i'm going to invest it in Gold to keep it save from the upcoming inflation. That's at least the flight to NO, maybe. So maybe three or four more years and i'll have the money for the tickets and the hotel and the crabs i wanna necessarily eat. So if you could postpone JazzFest to 2025, that'd be great.

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by Murphy View Post
          So if you could postpone JazzFest to 2025, that'd be great.
          Well, so sorry, Herr Murphy, my Death Metal-loving Bayerischer friend, but that's just not going to happen, as New Orleans and the music-loving world in general NEEDS Jazzfest and live music to resume just as soon as safely possible, regardless of your personal financial situation, although if you are savvy enough to look around for advance deals, roundtrip flights from Berlin or Frankfurt during Jazzfest have been around 550 or 600 Euro, at least as recently as 2018, (in 2016 I actuially flew from Prague, in 2017 & 2018 from here in Krakow, but I always check the major surrounding cities for specials, just in case) although after all the Covid insanity, flight prices and air travel in general may be forever altered. possibly with significantly fewer deals and discounts, but I guess only time will tell.
          ----------------------------------------------------------
          On another subject, have you ever attended the Stuttgart Jazz Open in July? It is a fine festival, likely more geared to contemporary Jazz and Rock than what your tastes may run, but in the past few years they have featured some top-level talent including David Gilmour, Santana, Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Sting as well as several New Orleans-based artists like Branford Marsalis, Jon Cleary and Trombone Shorty. It is still currently scheduled for this July, and depending on what things are like by then, I am thinking about going back again this yea, as I am in desperate need of some sun on my face and some music to fill the air.
          -----------------------------------------------
          Finally, what is the weather like where you are at?

          Here in Krakow it is bitterly cold ("Mala Syberia") at a bone chilling -8 C right now....
          Last edited by MormonMatthew; 02-07-2021, 06:40 AM.

          Comment


          • #80
            Don't take this too seriously, i just wanted to shock you folks out there a little bit. ; )

            No, never been to Schwaben, but also didn't know, that even Dylan had been there and Santana. Wow. My last festival in that corner was the Summer Breeze Open Air, back in the days when it was smaller and cozier. Santana i've seen 2000 at the Rock im Park in Nürnberg, but that's a horrible commercial festival and it was really nothing special in that hour he got time to play. Very disappointing to see such gifted musicians like on an assembly line where none of them could unfold.

            Whatever. I wanna go to New Orleans and i've set it to my live-goal to make it there one day. Already because of the catering. And when i think back, the two times in Miami seem to be the happiest time of my live and that was only Florida. Fun as a kid, but grown up a little Lousiana could be the promised land.
            (In case they let me in, i heared you need to indicate a social media account entering the US and i'm not on fakebook, so i'm gonna show them the jazzfestforum account )

            But it takes time
            a whole lotta precious time...

            Thanks for asking, wheather here is grey in grey around the freezing point. North got hit harder last night. Tuesday it should go down to -20° C. Normal winter so far. And it is only february. With a little bad luck it lasts another 3 months :'( take me down to the paradise city...
            Last edited by Murphy; 02-07-2021, 07:24 AM.

            Comment


            • #81
              The stuff about Bear is absolutely hilarious.
              This is more wonky than anything but 3 days ago I posted the Washington Post's daily update saying 8.3% of Americans have been vaccinated.
              That number says 9.6% now as I type.
              If we have 90.4% to go (and that's for 100% vaccination, not herd immunity numbers), at 1.3% every 3 days then (a) the pace of vaccinations are rapidly increasing, and (b) that's 7 more months almost to the day to get to 100%.
              With increased talk (even in the jokes about Bear!!) about using stadiums, etc, for mass vaccination, I am getting cautiously optimistic about the autumn.

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by 20/20 View Post

                If bennyboy was still with us and in charge you can trust that more people would get "dosed" and quicker.
                Ben is certainly starting to take on some mythical qualities.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by cp_deb View Post

                  Ben is certainly starting to take on some mythical qualities.
                  They laughed at the jokes about putting Chick Fil A in charge of the drive thru sites too, until South Carolina actually did it, and it worked!

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    I have seen a letter written by the big boys in the Entertainment Biz, IE Live Nation, AEG etc to the Govt offering assistance where required with venues or spaces for vaccinating to take place. Plus help with transport, logistics general planning and the like.
                    I think that it would be wise to take them up on their offer of help

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by Gards View Post
                      I have seen a letter written by the big boys in the Entertainment Biz, IE Live Nation, AEG etc to the Govt offering assistance where required with venues or spaces for vaccinating to take place. Plus help with transport, logistics general planning and the like.
                      I think that it would be wise to take them up on their offer of help
                      https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-help-1119230/

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post
                        The stuff about Bear is absolutely hilarious.
                        This is more wonky than anything but 3 days ago I posted the Washington Post's daily update saying 8.3% of Americans have been vaccinated.
                        That number says 9.6% now as I type.
                        If we have 90.4% to go (and that's for 100% vaccination, not herd immunity numbers), at 1.3% every 3 days then (a) the pace of vaccinations are rapidly increasing, and (b) that's 7 more months almost to the day to get to 100%.
                        With increased talk (even in the jokes about Bear!!) about using stadiums, etc, for mass vaccination, I am getting cautiously optimistic about the autumn.
                        I think that would be for the first dose, right? I'm considering that it would get to 70% of the population 18 or older (about 175 million) in seven months, with the current rate of 1.5 million a day. That's not terrible but also not ideal. How much this dose per day average will increase when more people are taking a second dose remains to be seen (meaning, maybe it will go faster as people are less reluctant to take the second dose; maybe it will go slower as the authorities plan to keep spots for second dose takers and those don't show up).

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by Murphy View Post
                          (In case they let me in, i heared you need to indicate a social media account entering the US and i'm not on fakebook, so i'm gonna show them the jazzfestforum account ).
                          If indeed you are questioned by the Customs & Immigration officers upon arrival to the (now once again "Great") U.S. of A. and attempt to use this messageboard as evidence of your cyber identity, perhaps gently steering them away from the various posts that you have made proudly proclaiming your enthusiasm for Czech methamphetamine and other assorted illegal narcotics may prove to be prudent...

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Ah, come on Mormon Matthew, you are a thief of joy. xP When they realy gonna read every single post of me on this bored or another, i have probably other problems than a former methamphetamine addiction. Also i can show them my clean-certificate from the long-term therapy i succesfully completed eight years ago and since then i'm really done with that shit. My last relapse four years ago felt so fuckin bad, i don't even have the need for speed anymore.

                            If they let only enter perfect people the US, without mistakes, then i might have a problem. But if they let enter normal people with their standard weakness, which they can compensate with humor and other strength, then i'm also not the type. So maybe i come to Poland and you smuggle me in from there in a suitcase?

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by Murphy View Post
                              Ah, come on Mormon Matthew, you are a thief of joy. xP When they realy gonna read every single post of me on this bored or another, i have probably other problems than a former methamphetamine addiction. Also i can show them my clean-certificate from the long-term therapy i succesfully completed eight years ago and since then i'm really done with that shit. My last relapse four years ago felt so fuckin bad, i don't even have the need for speed anymore.

                              If they let only enter perfect people the US, without mistakes, then i might have a problem. But if they let enter normal people with their standard weakness, which they can compensate with humor and other strength, then i'm also not the type. So maybe i come to Poland and you smuggle me in from there in a suitcase?
                              Murphy, Just a little good natured ribbing, although the various things people write about/boast of/confess to online can indeed have serious consequences in real life, which many folks don't seem to understand.

                              Glad to hear that you have gotten yourself healthy, for the record, at least to the best of my knowlege, I have never known someone who was a meth user, but apparently by all accounts it is a dead-end road that only causes pain and misery.

                              Keep the faith, and when you do eventually make it over to the Crescent City, I can personally guarantee it will be 1000x more EVERYTHING than your wildest dreams.

                              Auf Wiedersehn

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                So you have lots of asian ladyboy hookers over there in Krakow? Somehow i doubt that...

                                Nevermind.

                                Don't forget your right of freedom of speech. Maybe return to the US from time to time and don't let this EU bullshit "your speech has very serious consequences"- bullshit blow your mind. I just mean it well.

                                And don't say "Auf Wiedersehen" if you mean good bye.

                                Anyway, i'll make it to the fest. Come hell or high water. Probably when you least expect it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X