X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazz Fest to be postponed to October, source says

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...2b7ed6bf4.html

https://www.offbeat.com/news/breakin...iqXzMc.twitter

So when is the next postponement announcement ? I predict July.

Comment

Sources say the weekend of Oct 8th and 15th.

Comment

Lots of reasonable hotel options on Hotwire , but I don’t feel lucky

Comment

Originally posted by jonnygospeltent View Post
          Lots of reasonable hotel options on Hotwire , but I don’t feel lucky
          LOL! right? At this point, I don't think people will be racing to go to 100K person festivals this fast after a pandemic, even with vaccines and all, so getting a hotel shouldn't be too bad...if it happens

Comment

I think a good idea would be to make it Local & Louisiana Bands Only, No BNA's, No Mid-Level Acts. Perhaps 6 Days instead of 8. Capacity limited to 50% of normal. No Tents. Some system to keep people spaced out, and perhaps individual "sections" with limited first come admittance, so as not to have overcrowding. Shouldn't be difficult given the smaller attendance. Ticket prices closer to around $50/Day or $130/Weekend Pass.

I can see them being able to do some sort of a Jazz Fest by October. I just don't see how they can have anything resembling a regular Fest, with all the Artists, or even 75% capacity. But something with a smaller footprint, which won't get tons of people coming from far & wide. I think it would create Profit for the Organizers. It would create Income for the Food & Merch Vendors & Krewes. And it would provide Wages to the Workers & Crew employed by the Fest. And people would still travel from outside LA. It just wouldn't be nearly as many, which is probably a good thing, since Mardi Gras 2020 turned out to be a Superspreader beyond belief. It cost countless lives in the weeks that followed.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalFestLover View Post
              I think a good idea would be to make it Local & Louisiana Bands Only, No BNA's, No Mid-Level Acts. Perhaps 6 Days instead of 8. Capacity limited to 50% of normal. No Tents. Some system to keep people spaced out, and perhaps individual "sections" with limited first come admittance, so as not to have overcrowding. Shouldn't be difficult given the smaller attendance. Ticket prices closer to around $50/Day or $130/Weekend Pass.

I can see them being able to do some sort of a Jazz Fest by October. I just don't see how they can have anything resembling a regular Fest, with all the Artists, or even 75% capacity. But something with a smaller footprint, which won't get tons of people coming from far & wide. I think it would create Profit for the Organizers. It would create Income for the Food & Merch Vendors & Krewes. And it would provide Wages to the Workers & Crew employed by the Fest. And people would still travel from outside LA. It just wouldn't be nearly as many, which is probably a good thing, since Mardi Gras 2020 turned out to be a Superspreader beyond belief. It cost countless lives in the weeks that followed.
              Who is going to pay that much to see local bands, a week after The FQF which is free? I doubt I'd go more than maybe one day. Right or wrong I just don't see that many locals being willing to pay much to see bands they've seen many times before. There are not even enough great NOLA/La bands to have a 6-7 day festival filling all of those stages for 8 hours a day unless some play both weekends. I think either do it right or don't do it at all. If it's not 100% safe then don't do it and wait until 2022 which is only 6 months later.

It would be different having these fests during the Saints season and also during hurricane season.

Comment

Jazzfest already boasts that 85%+ of the performers are from Louisiana. And every year when they announce the lineup, we have a lengthy "who got left out" thread. So there are certainly enough acts out there to fill all the stages, especially if they opt for 6 or 7 days instead of 8. Yet I agree with jazznj that an all-local Jazzfest doesn't make much sense if FQF is held just days before.

Fun exercise: name the 8 headliners for an all-local fest. My list (off the top of my first-cup-of-coffee head): Shorty, Radiators, Galactic, Revivalists, Irma, PHJB, Dumpstaphunk, and some sort of Neville thing).

I do think there's a big middle ground between an all-local fest day where someone like Galactic is an Acura closer, and a typical second Saturday when you've got a Springsteen or The Who headlining. If you're looking to get crowds down a little bit, just enough to avoid the mob scenes, just take the 2020 announced dailies and strike the headliner from each list, and promote the number two. Your headliners: Maggie Rogers, Elvis Costello, Avett Brothers, Brandi Carlisle, Jimmy Cliff, Wu Tang Clan, Lizzo, Lumineers. That's a lineup that will get people to pay for tickets, even following a free FQF.

Of course, the other way to prevent oversized crowds is to limit daily attendance.

Some of this will come down to how the Foundation sees its mission. Will it be to just maximize the profits as much as possible while still having a fest that complies with government covid safety regulations? Or would they be prepared to have a fest that makes less, breaks even, or even loses some money? They certainly have enough money in the bank that they can afford a negative year.

The news articles have indicated that they may scale down the number of days, but it seems to me that if the sole goal is safety, having more days spreads the attendance out making each day less crowded.

Anyway, it sounds like an official announcement will come next week. Maybe we'll get some clarity then. Time for more coffee.
                Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

Who is going to pay that much to see local bands, a week after The FQF which is free?
                  Exactly. Even sponsorships are in some way reliable on BNAs. Sadly I don't think an all-local fest in possible. What they might do is fewer stages and fewer days, to be safe, but I don't think they would be cutting BNAs, they would cut local acts and try to balance things out. They can also probably wait until April or May, and by that time they will be able to make a decision. IF things are close to normal, the amount of people who are still afraid to go to a big event will be compensated by people who can't wait to get to a big event like this.

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post
                    Fun exercise: name the 8 headliners for an all-local fest. My list (off the top of my first-cup-of-coffee head): Shorty, Radiators, Galactic, Revivalists, Irma, PHJB, Dumpstaphunk, and some sort of Neville thing).

Comment

We have reservations from FQF through JF.
                      I have no clue what either festival will be like, but I want to be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post

That's what I was thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

Who is going to pay that much to see local bands, a week after The FQF which is free? I doubt I'd go more than maybe one day. Right or wrong I just don't see that many locals being willing to pay much to see bands they've seen many times before. There are not even enough great NOLA/La bands to have a 6-7 day festival filling all of those stages for 8 hours a day unless some play both weekends. I think either do it right or don't do it at all. If it's not 100% safe then don't do it and wait until 2022 which is only 6 months later.

It would be different having these fests during the Saints season and also during hurricane season.
                          A lot of us who don't live in or near New Orleans, for whom the local acts are the main draw. People who just want to come to NO, when it's reasonably safe, for the food and fest. (Sigh, it won't be softshell season.) That's who. Like, say, me, for whom attending my next JF has been what's helped carry me through these troubled times. Along with this good news today, I have secured an appointment on 1/30 for my initial vaccination. (There are some perks to being a 75 year old old fart.) My sense is that the vaccine will be readily available to all by spring, and that by autumn, life as we knew it previously will just about, if not fully, be back. I am a pessimist by nature, but feel confidant I'll be walking into the Fairgrounds next fall for my favorite thing in life.

Comment

I see no way JF doesn't try to be as it always is, in some form or another, with BNA's part of the equation, particularly given the proximity to FQF. A scaled down JF doesn't make much sense economically...the BNAs are there to draw the people necessary to cover the costs.

Comment

Originally posted by kyfester View Post

A lot of us who don't live in or near New Orleans, for whom the local acts are the main draw. People who just want to come to NO, when it's reasonably safe, for the food and fest. (Sigh, it won't be softshell season.) That's who. Like, say, me, for whom attending my next JF has been what's helped carry me through these troubled times. Along with this good news today, I have secured an appointment on 1/30 for my initial vaccination. (There are some perks to being a 75 year old old fart.) My sense is that the vaccine will be readily available to all by spring, and that by autumn, life as we knew it previously will just about, if not fully, be back. I am a pessimist by nature, but feel confidant I'll be walking into the Fairgrounds next fall for my favorite thing in life.
                              I get it but without locals attending the fest does not work. It really doesn't matter as I am almost positive they would not put it on without out of town acts.

Comment

Working...
                              X