Liuzza's by the Track owner Jimmy Lemarie has passed away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liuzza's by the Track owner Jimmy Lemarie has passed away

My friend works there and told me this morning. They are open today. No details yet available on the future of the restaurant. His partner Billy Gruber died almost 4 years ago. I stopped by for gumbo and an oyster po-boy but they are not sure what will happen to the business. I'll post any info that I get.

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...e7728d479.html

Some old articles about these owners:

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...d9a7f0c44.html

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...3f10d35a9.html

https://liuzzasbythetrack.com/?fbcli...0hrJ_5QVdZiwDo

https://www.instagram.com/liuzzas/

https://www.facebook.com/Liuzzas

https://twitter.com/liuzzas/
    Last edited by jjazznj; 01-25-2021, 06:41 PM.

Oh no . Thanks for posting the news and please provide any updates.

Comment

Sorry to hear that. I didn't know Jimmy but I sure remember him. I did know Billy Gruber. Billy once took me into the back and showed me a Cajun Cooker he was working on that was like an oven with the heat coming from the top down. It was intended to be used like a Weber on your patio and Billy was trying to market it, about to do a infomercial on it at the time. I don't think anything ever came of it. He was a really nice guy.

RIP Mr. Lemarie.

Comment

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...e7728d479.html

Comment

Sad to hear this.

I dug out my Liuzza's by the Track T Shirt and will be wearing it around today as a tribute to Jimmy

Comment

Dude. You got more links than Bob Evans.

Sad about Jimmy. Mostly went there at Fest time, but hit them up when I did my Rueben tour a few Summers back.

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

Dude. You got more links than Bob Evans.

Sad about Jimmy. Mostly went there at Fest time, but hit them up when I did my Rueben tour a few Summers back.
              I live fairly close and my friend works there so I stop by now and then. Yeah I went a bit overboard on the links. Way too much free time on my hands!
              I did have to Google "Bob Evans". Never heard of the guy. I thought maybe he was a golfer. Haha.

Rueben tour? Where was the best one? I love the one over at Parkway.

Comment

Very sorry to hear about Liuzzas, and, selfishly, hope that his establishment endures.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

I live fairly close and my friend works there so I stop by now and then. Yeah I went a bit overboard on the links. Way too much free time on my hands!
                  I did have to Google "Bob Evans". Never heard of the guy. I thought maybe he was a golfer. Haha.

Parkway was okay as was Liuzza's. Inconsistency was an issue with most I tried more than once. Cake Cafe was my favorite, but they closed, unfortunately. Buffa's used to be my favorite, but they have gone downhill. Stein's Deli was good. Ruby Slipper not bad as was Stanley's in Jackson Square. Best Rueben currently ?? My kitchen, if I can find the right 'quality' of ingredients. Need really good bread and quality meat. Cake Cafe made their own corned beef and hand sliced it.

I also did a pizza tour a few years back and came up with similar results as Rueben tour. MUCH better in Chicago ( where I'm from )for both. Same with Chinese and Mexican food. In fact, most ethnic food is much better in Chicago with the possible exception of Vietnamese.

Comment

I also did a pizza tour a few years back and came up with similar results as Rueben tour. MUCH better in Chicago ( where I'm from )for both. Same with Chinese and Mexican food. In fact, most ethnic food is much better in Chicago with the possible exception of Vietnamese.
                    Same for the Bay Area where you can find about anything and it is gonna be authentic. I really miss the Chinese and Mexican food from my favorite hole-in-the-walls in SF and the East Bay. When you get Hunan food there, it is made by someone who is from or has roots in Hunan...here it is "Hunan sauce."

But true dat about Vietnamese food, it is as good here as in SF.

Comment

Parkway was okay as was Liuzza's. Inconsistency was an issue with most I tried more than once. Cake Cafe was my favorite, but they closed, unfortunately. Buffa's used to be my favorite, but they have gone downhill. Stein's Deli was good. Ruby Slipper not bad as was Stanley's in Jackson Square. Best Rueben currently ?? My kitchen, if I can find the right 'quality' of ingredients. Need really good bread and quality meat. Cake Cafe made their own corned beef and hand sliced it.

This has never been nor ever will be a pizza town, especially for slices. I grew up hanging out in NYC so the same goes for finding great Ethnic food. I do love Kin Ramen which just opened back up for takeout. At least there are way more choices of food here these days, that was not the case when I lived here in the 90s. Back then it was mostly Cajun, Creole or Italian.

If I had to guess I'd think Stein's Deli would make a good Rueben. That place is more like the kind of deli's I grew up with. I do like the one at Parkway, I've had many over the years. I'll bet Cochon Butcher could make a good one if they tried.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
                        First off, I’ve been to Liuzza’s a couple of times in the past couple of weeks. Everything seems to be business as usual there. (Well, other than the pandemic.)

Second, I had the reuben at Liuzza’s yesterday and thought it was pretty good. In fact, I thought it was better than Stein’s. I’ll need to retry the one at High Hat, and check out the ones at Parkway (I just bought a house a block away on Toulouse) and Pelican to determine my favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by Blumie View Post
                          First off, I’ve been to Liuzza’s a couple of times in the past couple of weeks. Everything seems to be business as usual there. (Well, other than the pandemic.)

Second, I had the reuben at Liuzza’s yesterday and thought it was pretty good. In fact, I thought it was better than Stein’s. I’ll need to retry the one at High Hat, and check out the ones at Parkway (I just bought a house a block away on Toulouse) and Pelican to determine my favorite.
                          Report back. Always on the hunt for a good Rueben !! Where is High Hat and Pelican ?

Congrats on the house, btw !!

Comment

For many years there was a place on St. Charles called the Blind Pelican that had some pretty amazing Happy Hour deals on oysters and booze, but apparently it closed for good a couple of years ago, before Covid.

I always enjoyed it there, good food & drinks at really reasonable prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Blumie View Post

Reuben... reuben... reuben... bought a house... reuben.

I think they call that burying the lede.

Congrats, and welcome to the neighborhood! You moving, or is this just a getaway spot?
                              Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X