Winter in New Orleans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jonnygospeltent View Post
    Upon moving to a warm weather town, how long does it take to become a sissy?
    Bastid....but not long.

The cold down here, mixed with the humidity is a different beast than in Chi-Town. Goes right to the bone.

Comment

A good year to stay home and stay safe.

My coworker in Houston has been without power since early this morning. She’s home with her son and pets while her husband works at an emergency shelter about an hour away. Generator was almost out of fuel and she wasn’t able to use a space heater so I’m worried about her and her son tonight. She was hesitant to drive to get fuel on the ice earlier. Hopefully they get their power again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post
        A good year to stay home and stay safe.

My coworker in Houston has been without power since early this morning. She’s home with her son and pets while her husband works at an emergency shelter about an hour away. Generator was almost out of fuel and she wasn’t able to use a space heater so I’m worried about her and her son tonight. She was hesitant to drive to get fuel on the ice earlier. Hopefully they get their power again soon.
        Lisas sister also has a problem in Houston, her and husband have had no power for hours but luckily they have a gas heater.
        They probably just have to make sure that they dont burn it out as the electric fan inside designed to push out the heat will not be working.

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

Bastid....but not long.

The cold down here, mixed with the humidity is a different beast than in Chi-Town. Goes right to the bone.
          Ah yes, the dank chill...you'll recall that's Spring and Fall here. I have an elderly relative in San Antonio, hopefully better off. Best wishes to all.

Comment

Originally posted by Gards View Post
            Hope that the Freeze is over soon.

Lisas Brother who lives in Austin is without power as we speak, and has run out of firewood.

So I wish him luck.

On the flip side it is 86 and sunny in my neck of the woods and I think that I will stroll down to near Table Rock for a swim this arvo
            Rub it in. Good luck to Lisa's bro. Enjoy it while you got it, Mate!

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

Bastid....but not long.

Nice to hear someone from Chi-Town explain what cold here is like. Plus the fact you can't really heat a 100-year-old shotgun with no insulation. At least people north of here can get their house warm.

Comment

4 million lost power in Texas with 1.2 in the Houston area. We never lost power.
                We had 10 hours of temps in a row below 20. We have years where the temp does not hit
                the 20s. This was our first 20s temp for this winter. Forecast for next week has
                4 days in the 70s.

Comment

Put on some Beach Boys. It helps a bit.

Comment

I'm the first one to admit that pipes don't freeze here in Sonoma County. That's exactly what they said in Houston too. So i offer this up with a grain of salt. If your pipes aren't insulated and you know freezing weather is coming, you should fill up all the containers you can, then turn off the water at the main, and open your taps. Since the pipes aren't full of water and under pressure, they won't burst.

Thousands in Texas are dealing with no water on top of no power due to ruptured water pipes which cause immense damage to your home and property.

Comment

That is want we did, blocked in at meter and drained lines.
                      I spoke to early about not losing power. We lost power for
                      22 hours. Wed. midnight until 10PM last night. We now have
                      power/heat in Houston.

Comment

Hang in there Fred. Tough times don't last but tough people do.

Comment

81 today here in sunny Houston.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred (Texas JF Fanatic) View Post
                            81 today here in sunny Houston.
                            Way to go

Comment

The city is telling us we'll have water back by the weekend, and then a week (at least) of boil water. But it was 78 degrees today!

Comment

Working...
                              X