Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The great New Orleans reuben hunt

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The great New Orleans reuben hunt

    In the thread discussing the death of Liuzza by the Track owner Jimmy Lemarie, some of us got sidetracked discussing one of our favorite sandwiches, the reuben. I figured it was time for this vaunted sandwich to have its own thread.

    Notwithstanding the dearth of Jewish-style delis in New Orleans, there are a fair number of places offering a reuben, including Liuzza, Parkway, Stein’s, High Hat Café, and the Pelican Deli.

    Tonight for the first time I went to Susan Spicer’s “other” restaurant, Rosedale, a delightful but hard-to-find (but for Waze) casual spot in Lakeview. I wanted everything on the menu, including their burger, a cochon de lait po’boy, an oyster po’boy, a meatloaf sandwich (I tried a friend’s; it was wonderful), a grilled cheese with pimento, fried chicken thighs, and Korean-style chicken wings. But I went for the duck pastrami sandwich, grilled on rye with pickled onions and Russian dressing. The gruyere was listed as optional, but we all know that it isn’t. This was a reuben — even though that word appeared nowhere on the menu — and it was delicious. I like all of the reubens I’ve had so far in New Orleans, but this is my new favorite.

  • #2
    Let the games begin !!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Blumie View Post
      In the thread discussing the death of Liuzza by the Track owner Jimmy Lemarie, some of us got sidetracked discussing one of our favorite sandwiches, the reuben. I figured it was time for this vaunted sandwich to have its own thread.

      Notwithstanding the dearth of Jewish-style delis in New Orleans, there are a fair number of places offering a reuben, including Liuzza, Parkway, Stein’s, High Hat Café, and the Pelican Deli.

      Tonight for the first time I went to Susan Spicer’s “other” restaurant, Rosedale, a delightful but hard-to-find (but for Waze) casual spot in Lakeview. I wanted everything on the menu, including their burger, a cochon de lait po’boy, an oyster po’boy, a meatloaf sandwich (I tried a friend’s; it was wonderful), a grilled cheese with pimento, fried chicken thighs, and Korean-style chicken wings. But I went for the duck pastrami sandwich, grilled on rye with pickled onions and Russian dressing. The gruyere was listed as optional, but we all know that it isn’t. This was a reuben — even though that word appeared nowhere on the menu — and it was delicious. I like all of the reubens I’ve had so far in New Orleans, but this is my new favorite.
      I've eaten there a bunch of times and always enjoyed my food. Also a decent happy hour. I'm glad they are still open but surprised as even pre-COVID it was never very busy when I was there due I'm sure to their odd location. If it were maybe on Carrollton (Instead of Witt's Inn or Ed's or Venesia) or somewhere else in Mid City it would be a total hotspot.

      Comment


      • #4
        There us to be a bar/grill in Baton Rouge that had grill cheese reubens.
        We talking about 30+ year ago. Sure miss those reubens.

        Comment


        • #5
          The Kosher Cajun Deli in Metairie has authentic deli sandwiches... their chopped liver is real good too!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by rosetree View Post
            The Kosher Cajun Deli in Metairie has authentic deli sandwiches... their chopped liver is real good too!
            Kosher Cajun Deli? Haha. I don't get out to the burbs much but one of these days I gotta check that out.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm not sure where I read about Shaggy's new place in Gentilly on Franklin I think- but if I recall there was something about him doing a pretty good Reuben sandwich... good luck on the hunt. Interested in finding out who has good pastrami, don't think that's ever something we've tried in New Orleans- being spoiled by Katz's here in the city.

              And speaking of deli, we've never been to Stein's but is it the only "Jewish Style Deli" which is different from other kinds of delis...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by rosetree View Post
                The Kosher Cajun Deli in Metairie has authentic deli sandwiches... their chopped liver is real good too!
                They're actually Kosher, so no reuben. Well, they have one on the menu, but it has no cheese.
                Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by swag View Post

                  They're actually Kosher, so no reuben. Well, they have one on the menu, but it has no cheese.
                  Can't have a reuben without cheese, but you can a pastrami....which is also a damn good sandwich.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Nancy10016 View Post
                    I'm not sure where I read about Shaggy's new place in Gentilly on Franklin I think- but if I recall there was something about him doing a pretty good Reuben sandwich... good luck on the hunt. Interested in finding out who has good pastrami, don't think that's ever something we've tried in New Orleans- being spoiled by Katz's here in the city.

                    And speaking of deli, we've never been to Stein's but is it the only "Jewish Style Deli" which is different from other kinds of delis...
                    I mentioned Shaggy's in the 'other' reuben thread. His is a pastrami reuben. It's on my radar and I'll report back.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

                      Kosher Cajun Deli? Haha. I don't get out to the burbs much but one of these days I gotta check that out.
                      There's a kosher deli/grocery a few blocks from my shop. Sort of a secret place in a semi-industrial area. You're not sure it's open to the public when you squeeze past a forklift and go through a garage door. But it's the real thing; I'm a fan of the chopped liver and the matzo ball soup. But the thing that makes me laugh every time is sitting at the booth with the framed and signed dust cover of Paul Prudhomme's Family Cookbook.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by rosetree View Post
                        The Kosher Cajun Deli in Metairie has authentic deli sandwiches... their chopped liver is real good too!
                        Checked out their menu, looks great. I grew up on this kind of stuff. Gonna check it out next week. Thanks for the tip!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Nancy10016 View Post
                          Interested in finding out who has good pastrami, don't think that's ever something we've tried in New Orleans- being spoiled by Katz's here in the city.
                          It’s hard to find Katz’s-quality pastrami anywhere outside of NYC. Which isn’t to say you can’t find good pastrami, but you can’t expect it to be the same as Katz’s.

                          One thing I love about the Rosedale reuben (again, they don’t call it a reuben on their menu) is that it’s made with duck pastrami, which is great in its own right and reduces the temptation to compare to NYC pastrami. (Similarly, at Industrial Eats in Buellton, California you can get a beef tongue pastrami reuben, which may be the best reuben I’ve ever had even though it’s not made with “real” pastrami.)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            can't wait to get one of those f..awesome delicious sandwiches *drool*

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Worth a mention is the Reuben at the Green Room. It's the people behind the old pop up at Siberia. They now have a brick and mortar location on St. Bernard. Quality Reuben with kapusta ( braised cabbage ) instead of sauerkraut. Gives it a little sweetness.

                              Menu — The Green Room (greenroomnola.com)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X