Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• larrybalmur
    replied
    Jonathon Sloane is an awesome player. He was with Chris Jacobs band for a coupla/few years here in Baltimore. They did a show with Anders at the 8x10 here on my birthday a few years back . Anders jumped on with he band for a while. Maybe that's where he hooked with Anders. Good guy and smokin' player. To my ear Anders lost some of that guitar slinger improvisation skills post druggie. That band with Tim Green and Eric Bolivar and Kurt would go interstellar. Upside is he's alive, happy, writing good tunes, and shows up for gigs.
    Anyway, he can make that Anders face at Jon and he will deliver the goods.

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied
    I don't know if you saw his living room show last fall with Jonathan Sloane but here it is;

https://fb.watch/3Q7g6QYW3W/

Leave a comment:

• Lit
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim View Post
    I'm not sure but I think Anders said that Jonathan Sloane plays on the new cd.
    Thanks for the info on the show, Jim.

I haven’t listened intently enough to Jonathan’s playing to be able to identify it, but there are definitely multiple guitars on some tracks and the playing is really beautiful and noticeably different to my ears, so that would make sense. I figured that Anders just played them all himself with separate tracks, but this sounds right.

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied
    I'm not sure but I think Anders said that Jonathan Sloane plays on the new cd. He played the new cd in order last Friday night, no guests. I enjoyed most of the new material but none of it really knocked me out. I'll have to give it another listen. On the show he did a really good version of "I Shot the Sheriff" and also did a great cover that Ry Cooder used to do called "Crazy 'Bout an Automobile" which is a Billy "The Kid" Emerson song. He played it more as a nod to Ry, mentioning that Ry was an early influence.

Leave a comment:

• larrybalmur
    replied
    Friday Night at Anders are kind of a hoot. I really enjoyed the new songs, watching and hearing him perform them .Probably adds to the experience.

Leave a comment:

• innertube
    replied
    Originally posted by Lit View Post

For some reason FaceBook no longer lets me access his page without logging in, and I don’t have a FaceBook account.
    I watch them thru Facebook Watch...on my tv...

Leave a comment:

• Lit
    replied
    Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

I haven't watched yet, was at a Pels game. You can still check it out, he leaves them up on FB.
    For some reason FaceBook no longer lets me access his page without logging in, and I don’t have a FaceBook account.

Leave a comment:

• jjazznj
    replied
    Originally posted by Lit View Post
    How was this? Was it mostly the new album? Any guests?

I’m at least four listens through the album and now I have it in shuffle with a few other new purchases. I feel like the songs could have used more time to percolate, and maybe some collaboration or something to help “complete” them. Like they are each good ideas with some good lyrics and excellent playing, but they are somewhat incomplete thoughts. Or at least incomplete songs.

After Tom Petty died I remember one of his collaborators or admirers quoting his “Don’t bore us, get to the chorus” wisdom, which resulted in Petty usually getting there within four lines or less.

I feel like Anders has taken the exact opposite approach here. Not that he’s boring, but there is little to no “hook” in these songs. Perhaps a function of lockdown and his inability t0 play with others like he normally would have been doing?

PS: Anyone else hear a “Black Muddy River” riff in “Rainbows”?
    I haven't watched yet, was at a Pels game. You can still check it out, he leaves them up on FB.

Leave a comment:

• Lit
    replied
    Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
    Tonight: Anders Facebook Livestream
    Friday Feb 19th at 4:30pm Pacific | 7:30pm Eastern
    https://www.facebook.com/AndersOsborne/videos

This Friday we celebrate my son’s (Anders Tennessee) 18th Birthday and the official “Orpheus and the Mermaids” release!
    How was this? Was it mostly the new album? Any guests?

I’m at least four listens through the album and now I have it in shuffle with a few other new purchases. I feel like the songs could have used more time to percolate, and maybe some collaboration or something to help “complete” them. Like they are each good ideas with some good lyrics and excellent playing, but they are somewhat incomplete thoughts. Or at least incomplete songs.

After Tom Petty died I remember one of his collaborators or admirers quoting his “Don’t bore us, get to the chorus” wisdom, which resulted in Petty usually getting there within four lines or less.

I feel like Anders has taken the exact opposite approach here. Not that he’s boring, but there is little to no “hook” in these songs. Perhaps a function of lockdown and his inability t0 play with others like he normally would have been doing?

PS: Anyone else hear a “Black Muddy River” riff in “Rainbows”?
    Last edited by Lit; 02-20-2021, 10:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jjazznj
    replied
    Tonight: Anders Facebook Livestream
    Friday Feb 19th at 4:30pm Pacific | 7:30pm Eastern
    https://www.facebook.com/AndersOsborne/videos

This Friday we celebrate my son’s (Anders Tennessee) 18th Birthday and the official “Orpheus and the Mermaids” release!

New album: http://smarturl.it/AO-Orpheus?fbclid...xfoSU-Bwkfg838

Leave a comment:

• Lit
    replied
    I picked it up from iTunes this morning and listened to half on my drive into work, half while out for lunch and running some errands, and have started my second time through.

I didn't realize in advance that, except for a few subtle backing vocals, it is a solo acoustic album, so don't expect any rockers or groovers.

He says it's a follow up to Buddha and the Blues, but I don't really hear that connection, at least not yet. Although, like the vast majority of his catalogue, it appears almost entirely autobiographical.

CJ and I were just texting about it. I think the recording quality is very good, the sound is very good, his guitar playing is really excellent and he's in good voice.

Always hard to judge after only a few listens but, aside from a couple songs, it doesn't really grab me melodically or lyrically out of the gates.

Those exceptions are interesting though. "Light up the Sun" is the one I like most. "Last Day in the Keys" is a gut-punch but I think it's a good and interesting song (is it about Neal Casal?).

But like I said, it all sounds good, so I will give it repeated listens and see if any of the others start to jump out at me.

Leave a comment:

• HankAndLeeStamper
    started a topic new Anders out

new Anders out

So it's not on the LMF web page but jambase reports that Anders has released a new record, Orpheus and the Mermaids, today.
    9 tracks, all original.
    https://www.jambase.com/article/new-...nd-habits-melt
Working...
X