This city still remains capable of the most wonderful unexpected surprises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This city still remains capable of the most wonderful unexpected surprises

So, as is being discussed in this thread, there has been a resurgence of live music performances in New Orleans in the last couple of months, mostly outdoors, masked and socially distanced.

Today I saw a listing on facebook for a performance at the Jazz Museum at the old mint on Esplanade -- I've already seen several shows there -- by the eclectic New Orleans pop band Sweet Crude and members of the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra (LPO). It was listed as a 6pm show, so when I felt an afternoon nap coming on I set my alarm for 5:30pm just in case I was in the mood to check it out. When my alarm woke me, I rallied, and I am so glad I did. This was such a great performance. It started with a string quartet comprising two members of Sweet Crude and two members of the LPO performing a lovely Haydn string quartet up on the balcony, after which the full Sweet Crude band played an 8-song set downstairs on the patio, accompanied by members of the LPO for the last three songs.

This is just another example of how New Orleans evolves and adapts in such beautiful ways, irrespective of the obstacles thrown at her.

(Tomorrow I see the Soul Rebels perform at the Broadside, a new outdoor venue established by, and adjacent to, the Broad Theater in Mid City. The Lost Bayou Ramblers play the Broadside next weekend, and Tank & The Bangas and Bon Bon Vivant the following weekend. Before you rush to book your flights, all three shows are sold out.)

Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Blumie View Post
      So, as is being discussed in this thread, there has been a resurgence of live music performances in New Orleans in the last couple of months, mostly outdoors, masked and socially distanced.

Today I saw a listing on facebook for a performance at the Jazz Museum at the old mint on Esplanade -- I've already seen several shows there -- by the eclectic New Orleans pop band Sweet Crude and members of the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra (LPO). It was listed as a 6pm show, so when I felt an afternoon nap coming on I set my alarm for 5:30pm just in case I was in the mood to check it out. When my alarm woke me, I rallied, and I am so glad I did. This was such a great performance. It started with a string quartet comprising two members of Sweet Crude and two members of the LPO performing a lovely Haydn string quartet up on the balcony, after which the full Sweet Crude band played an 8-song set downstairs on the patio, accompanied by members of the LPO for the last three songs.

This is just another example of how New Orleans evolves and adapts in such beautiful ways, irrespective of the obstacles thrown at her.

(Tomorrow I see the Soul Rebels perform at the Broadside, a new outdoor venue established by, and adjacent to, the Broad Theater in Mid City. The Lost Bayou Ramblers play the Broadside next weekend, and Tank & The Bangas and Bon Bon Vivant the following weekend. Before you rush to book your flights, all three shows are sold out.)
      Cool. I'll be at The Broadside for LBR. I've seen a few shows there already. Missed out on Soul Rebels as they sold out. Good for them. I work out right near there on The Greenway so sometimes I just watch through the fence to checkout shows. The Hot 8 BB will be at The Mint next Tues.

Comment

Nice <3

Comment

Thanks for this post. It reminds me that New Orleans will be New Orleans no matter what obstacles are thrown in its or our way.
          Last edited by Kemp; 03-08-2021, 08:10 AM.

Comment

She is such a magical city. I'm so happy to be here.

Comment

Working...
            X