X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 High Sierra fest - canceled

http://highsierramusic.com

Originally posted by mangochill View Post
    Always the festival year centerpiece here. I'm going to miss it, of course, but I laud the decision and you can't blame the organizers for nipping any red-ink-generating re-scheduling antics in the bud, so to speak. There are other, possibly cheaper, ways to keep your festival brand visible, like the folks behind the Luck festival - using public outreach and your organization's horsepower to elevate local artists and causes. And putting the "open it now" politics aside for a moment, I just can't imagine most festivals having two-years-worth of rainy day carryover funds.

Comment

Well, it takes a "High" degree of integrity to give your loyal fans an official yet honest "Sorry, but we just can't promise that we can pull this off properly and safely at this point, and we would rather be up front with you than risk a last minute fiasco where a lot of people are left standing at the gates who are all out a lot of money because we decided to roll the dice that things would all be OK but ended up losing,..." rather than doing the easy and financially adventagious thing, i.e., holding on to their loyal supporter's hard-earned $$$ in the hopes that they can successfully put together 1000 different moving pieces in time to make a huge, enjoyable and (most importantly) safe party happen in these crazy, mixed-up times where everything changes weekly.

My 1st time at High Sierra was back in July 1995, and it remains my definition of a perfectly run smaller, regional festival

High Sierra will survive, they will get by...
      Last edited by MormonMatthew; 04-03-2021, 12:16 PM.

Comment

What were the original dates ? Couldn't find on their website.

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
          What were the original dates ? Couldn't find on their website.
          Since at least '95, High Sierra Music Festival has always been held on the 4th of July Weekend....

(you wouldn't care for it, it costs more than $1.25 per beer)
          Last edited by MormonMatthew; 04-03-2021, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post

Since at least '95, High Sierra Music Festival has always been held on the 4th of July Weekend....

(you wouldn't care for it, it costs more than $1.25 per beer)
            You know me well. Maybe someone could teach me how to sneak in some PBR's ??

Comment

I have no idea what the rules are like these days, but the first few years of High Sierra that I attended in the mid 1990's, you were freely allowed to bring your own adult beverages right into the festival with you, provided it wasn't in glass bottles.

Pony kegs of Sierra Nevada or Anchor Steam in a wheelbarrow covered with ice being pushed up front were always a welcome sight when The Radiators or George Porter were getting ready to hit the stage.

Fine times, for sure

Comment

The Plumas County fairgrounds are laid-out such that several of the music stages/venues are scattered throughout the camping areas, which makes the festival very unique in my experience. It can be a blessing, and a curse, to be camped within stumbling distance of one of the larger side-stages - your camp-mates aren't the only ones finding your digs the perfect distance to crash after a big night :-). The perfect blend is close enough to hear the nearest venue without a ton of audio bleed from neighboring acts, and just the right distance to run back to camp to refresh a beverage or hit the volcano vape that always seemed to be cookin' at one friend's camp (the RV camp sites have water & power hook-ups). I wondered how Frank and Lisa felt about being able to see into the doorway of the Vaudeville tent when they last RV'd to HSMF. That was closer than I've ever been to one of the stages. The festival changed with the times, and local authorities' influence, and alcohol in the Grandstand (the biggest stage) is limited to what will fit in a plastic/metal cup, injected into your watermelon, or put in with the baby's gear in the wagon. Of course, you can buy beer/cider inside, and the deal here and other western festivals is the buy-a-stainless-cup and get it refilled for a buck or two off the list price (over the course of a 4-day festival this pencils out nicely - and we've used cups from previous years/other fests and they've accepted their use). The selection of beers is typically as good as it gets, if you like Sierra Nevada, Lagunitas, or New Belgium - all of whom have poured at the fest, along with Ninkasi and a friend's Two Rivers ciders. Wine in the July heat? It's available, I'm told.

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

You know me well. Maybe someone could teach me how to sneak in some PBR's ??
                  Haven't been to this fest in a few years...we used to tent camp with our mates in a nearby RV park too far away to run back for a beer between sets. We found that a round thermos can hold almost a sixpack inside and when covered with ice the bottles (or cans) are fairly undetectable as it appears to be drinking water.

Comment

Bummer

Comment

Working...
                    X