• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazz Fest Grids, Fall 2021

A few early listings.

TOBYMAC Hits Deep Tour
    @ UNO Lakefront Arena
    Thu • Oct 14 • 7:00 PM
    https://www.ticketmaster.com/tobymac...05725BAB54D56?

James Taylor / Jackson Browne
    @ Smoothie King
    Sat. October 16, 2021 at 7:30 PM
    http://www.smoothiekingcenter.com/ev...-all-star-band

Mt. Joy & Briston Maroney
    @ The Joy Theater
    TUE, 19 OCT 2021 at 08:00PM CDT
    https://www.facebook.com/events/149856526977772/
    Last edited by swag; 4 weeks ago.
    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Off we go!!!!!!!!

Comment

I guess it is the spring weather and the very slow creep toward normalcy but I'm especially ready to plan my very far distant fall fests trip.

Comment

Ah, man. Like an old friend. Welcome back 'Jazz Fest Grids' !!

Comment

https://www.thejoytheater.com/events/detail/390481

TURKUAZ W/ JERRY HARRISON & ADRIAN BELEW: REMAIN IN LIGHT
          FRI, OCTOBER 15, 2021
          9:00 PM
          Joy Theater

Comment

I saw the tour dates for John Hiatt and Jerry Douglas. They have a new album coming John recorded with Jerry and his band and will tour behind it. There is a Friday, Oct. 1st date in Nashville and the next one starts a West Coast swing on Oct. 8th. I initially thought they could do Jazz Fest after Nashville not remembering the first weekend is scheduled for the 8th. So that sadly would seem to nix them appearing. That woulda been a perfect Jazz Fest act.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
              I saw the tour dates for John Hiatt and Jerry Douglas. They have a new album coming John recorded with Jerry and his band and will tour behind it. There is a Friday, Oct. 1st date in Nashville and the next one starts a West Coast swing on Oct. 8th. I initially thought they could do Jazz Fest after Nashville not remembering the first weekend is scheduled for the 8th. So that sadly would seem to nix them appearing. That woulda been a perfect Jazz Fest act.
              I am completely in love with the single from that album that is out now. The song is called “All the Lilacs in Ohio”. It’s beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post

I am completely in love with the single from that album that is out now. The song is called “All the Lilacs in Ohio”. It’s beautiful.
                I found it on YouTube and it is great! I had seen another one called "Mississippi Phone Booth" that is on YouTube, as well.

"All The Lilacs" is a re-do for John as he did it on the "The Tiki Bar Is Open" album he did reunited with Sonny Landreth and The Goners in 2001.

Comment

I found it on YouTube and it is great! I had seen another one called "Mississippi Phone Booth" that is on YouTube, as well.

"All The Lilacs" is a re-do for John as he did it on the "The Tiki Bar Is Open" album he did reunited with Sonny Landreth and The Goners in 2001.
                  Yep. First time I heard that song was at Fest when John came on with The Goners as his band.

Comment

I was CERTAIN I had heard the song before, but not curious enough to do any research on it. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Yay! The Nearly World Famous Grids are starting up again. I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post

Yep. First time I heard that song was at Fest when John came on with The Goners as his band.
                        LOVED that set with the Goners which was in 2000, not 2001 (I remember the set very well and '01 was last fest I missed). Swag Cube rescue confirmed. I will pull out my Tikki CD and give that tune a listen. Sonny,Blevins and Ranson were SLAYING that set doing lots of Slow Turning(Goners) and Bring The Family lps tunes. Can't beat those 2 records.
                        Openly wept when John closed with Have a Little Faith on piano.
                        http://jazzfest.swagland.com/cubes/2000/2000-2-Fri.htm
                        That was one fabulous day at Fess stage with:
                        Anders
                        David Lindlay
                        John Hiatt and the Goners
                        Lyle Lovett and Big Band

May have done a walkabout during Lindley with Lazy Lester/Raful Neal and Los Babies (booty shaking) FOMSing.

Comment

Originally posted by larrybalmur View Post

LOVED that set with the Goners which was in 2000, not 2001 (I remember the set very well and '01 was last fest I missed). Swag Cube rescue confirmed. I will pull out my Tikki CD and give that tune a listen. Sonny,Blevins and Ranson were SLAYING that set doing lots of Slow Turning(Goners) and Bring The Family lps tunes. Can't beat those 2 records.
                          Openly wept when John closed with Have a Little Faith on piano.
                          http://jazzfest.swagland.com/cubes/2000/2000-2-Fri.htm
                          That was one fabulous day at Fess stage with:
                          Anders
                          David Lindlay
                          John Hiatt and the Goners
                          Lyle Lovett and Big Band

May have done a walkabout during Lindley with Lazy Lester/Raful Neal and Los Babies (booty shaking) FOMSing.
                          I wrote a feature on that day at Acura for offbeat, I think it may have been the first article i did for them (and only did a handful after). Really fun time. Couple years later the wife and I did our first dance at the wedding to Have a Little Faith in Me.......

Comment

I arrived in New Orleans on a job assignment on the Monday after Jazz Fest 2000. I was pretty lucky getting work assignments to work out in my favor but not that time. It was my last assignment with the company as Freeport cancelled the job after a couple of months and I never moved back to the Bay Area as they had no more work for me after 25 years. Been here ever since that day...minus some time back in CA after Katrina.

No way would have I missed John and The Goners so I was wondering about 2001, which I did go to. That looks like a nice day at the Fess Stage, for sure!

Comment

TTF, off the grid, like Teetertotter.

Comment

Working...
                              X