Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jazz Fest Grids, Fall 2021 (Autumn Leaves)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let the Games begin.. the Grids are off and running!

Comment

• Originally posted by Haber View Post
      Let the Games begin.. the Grids are off and running!
      Hooray!
      Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

• Much obliged for the grids. I saw DJ Wiliams' Shots Fired on there and it stood out. I think DJ is special. I haven't seen Shots Fired yet, but I hope to catch them in the future since Projekt was excellent, and he's always great with KDTU. But it looks like the price filter is off for some of the House of Blues shows where they show over $2,000, foundation room pricing. Haha

Can't wait for the grids to fill even though my nights are starting to get tight. First weekend I only have Lettuce so far.

Second weekend I have Turkuaz w/ Jerry & Adrian, TDB, TDB.

We usually try to get to some overnight shows. Lettuce's and the Biscuits' 1st show will be super late. So those nights are out. Otherwise, I'll stay tuned for the 2/3am drops.

Comment

• https://www.facebook.com/kellerwilli...7514626599739/

Comment

• Mormon Matthew will be thrilled.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

Mormon Matthew will be thrilled.
              Well, I guess in a city like New Orleans, a place without much musical tradition, history and culture to call its own, it only makes sense to focus on and celebrate the music borrowed from a different region, like the much anticipated annual Montego Bay Polka Festival or the Nashville Vienna Waltz Gala...
              Last edited by MormonMatthew; 3 days ago.

Comment

• I admit to stupidly thinking that if Bobby, Billy and Mickey were actually playing in town that there would be fewer Dead cover bands, not more and/or status quo (too many). I missed WAY too much of 2019 fest prepping for a late-May trial and there hasn't been one since. I'm hoping to see some folks I've never seen live, including Kamasi Washington, Delvon Lamarr, Fantastic Negrito, Mdou Moctar, etc and instead.....

Comment

• Hard to believe but there was a time when there no Dead cover bands whatsoever during Jazz Fest. It's actually a fairly recent phenomenon. Why come to a city filled with great music to see a cover band? Once again I love The Dead but will never understand the connection to Jazz Fest.

Comment

• Black Laurel has been known to throw in a Dead cover here and there. Usually a less known song like West L.A. Fadeaway or So Many Roads. We are a power trio, so no replicating the instrumentation. My first band ever was a Dead cover band ( New Potato Caboose ), although we never played New Orleans during Jazz Fest, or anywhere in N.O. for that matter. This was mid 1980's, so we were a 'head' of our time.

Comment

Black Laurel has been known to throw in a Dead cover here and there. Usually a less known song like West L.A. Fadeaway or So Many Roads. We are a power trio, so no replicating the instrumentation. My first band ever was a Dead cover band ( New Potato Caboose ), although we never played New Orleans during Jazz Fest, or anywhere in N.O. for that matter. This was mid 1980's, so we were a 'head' of our time.
                      I remember a band called New Potato Caboose. It seems like from the DC/Maryland area. Did Danny Gatton appear on a cd with that band or am I dreaming, hallucinating or worse?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kemp View Post

I remember a band called New Potato Caboose. It seems like from the DC/Maryland area. Did Danny Gatton appear on a cd with that band or am I dreaming, hallucinating or worse?
                        Still gigging: https://www.facebook.com/NewPotatoCaboose

Comment

My first band ever was a Dead cover band ( New Potato Caboose ), although we never played New Orleans during Jazz Fest, or anywhere in N.O. for that matter
                          Many claim that this is the primary reason that the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival was virtually unknown until JRAD generously put it on the map back in 2018, although in fairness, occasional rumored Alice Cooper sit-ins with Trombone Shorty also fueled more widespread awareness.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kemp View Post

yea I remember them too, definitely from DC or VA area but they didn't play a ton of dead covers that I recall. Their lead singer was from Bham I think. Different band? I remember a few of their songs, Promising Traveler, the Mansion.

Comment

• Yeah, we were the mostly unknown 'New Potato Caboose' from Chicago suburbs. I'm guessing there are a few 'Uncle John's Band's' out there as well.

Comment

Yeah, we were the mostly unknown 'New Potato Caboose' from Chicago suburbs. I'm guessing there are a few 'Uncle John's Band's' out there as well.
                                I always thought "Jehovah's Favorite Choir" would be a good Dead cover band name.

Comment

Working...
                                X