Jazz Festing in Place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazz Festing in Place

Listening to the archive from yesterday. Probably not going to get much done. Listening to Treme Brass Band ATM. One of my favorites.

Yesterday's sets were fantastic. Rest of the weekend is promising too! But really, how can I explain to non-festals that I'm staying home/unavailable cuz I'm listening to the radio??? Sounds like something my parents did when they were kids LOL

Comment

Originally posted by glinda View Post
      Yesterday's sets were fantastic. Rest of the weekend is promising too! But really, how can I explain to non-festals that I'm staying home/unavailable cuz I'm listening to the radio??? Sounds like something my parents did when they were kids LOL
      i know what you mean. I am sitting here thinking about fest food also. I want a soft-shell crab po-boy and crawfish monica.

Comment

Didja hear that Meters set from 1970? Was that George singing Soul Man? Who here was familiar with Margie Joseph?

Check out this amazing story from DJ Soul Sister:

Comment

Whoa. No wonder Larry sounded so 'chipper'.

Comment

I am listening to Ella Fitzgerald ATM. I forgot how much i adore her voice.

Comment

i was at an early dinner and missed the Meters set yesterday. My favorite moment yesterday was Henry Butler imploring the crowd "let me see your hands!!!" thus cracking himself up laughing into the mic.

Comment

Thursday sets were fantastic. Today, fine. Tomorrow setting up to be killer. Gawd, I miss New Orleans.

Comment

I'm all in for anything from 1970. The Meters, Pete Fountain Mahalia Jackson, Clifton Chenier, Dukes Of Dixieland, Al Hurt. I'll throw in Eubie Blake from 1977 too.

Comment

Originally posted by stynger View Post
                    I'm all in for anything from 1970. The Meters, Pete Fountain Mahalia Jackson, Clifton Chenier, Dukes Of Dixieland, Al Hurt. I'll throw in Eubie Blake from 1977 too.
                    And I am glad they have included some of the true masters of jazz--originators who stayed true to the imperative of bringing the "sound of surprise" such as Ed Blackwell, Sonny Rollins, Miles Davis, and Charles Mingus.

Comment

Leroy Jones opening his set with "West End Blues." Danny Barker, when introducing his drummer, twice mentioning "he's in trouble with his wife." Dave Torkanowsky's lovely tribute to Toussaint's "Southern Nights." Stanton Moore getting in touch with his inner Bernard Purdie when Galactic played "Rock Steady." Marcia Ball's "Louisiana 1927." And right now, the incredible Aurora Nealand playing any damn thing she wants to.

Comment

So far I've heard Shirley Horn, Uptown Jazz Orchestra and Ed Blackwell. On Sunday, it will be Sonny Rollins and Milton Nascimento.

Comment

I don't know how I missed Shirley Horn at Jazz Fest. Always been a big fan.

Comment

Does anyone have or know where to find a recording of Larry Mckinley's jazz fest info? We are having people over next week to fest in place and would love to have that playing.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
                              I don't know how I missed Shirley Horn at Jazz Fest. Always been a big fan.
                              Only two Jazz Fest appearances for Shitley Horn, in 1994 and 2005.

I heard her twice at the Caravan of Dreams in Fort Worth.

Comment

Working...
                              X