Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really enjoyed the James Taylor set.

Comment

It was great to hear Milton Nascimento. Literally the night before, I heard him in Austin at the Paramount Theater.

Comment

Originally posted by kh1958 View Post

Only two Jazz Fest appearances for Shitley Horn, in 1994 and 2005.

I heard her twice at the Caravan of Dreams in Fort Worth.
        I saw her at the Monterey Jazz Festival and at the original Yoshi's, both in the early/mid 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by NoPoYo View Post
          Does anyone have or know where to find a recording of Larry Mckinley's jazz fest info? We are having people over next week to fest in place and would love to have that playing.
          http://jazzfest.swagland.com/welcome.htm
          Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

When the first (official) Patry was coming about, I decided It would be great to have our own cooler message. I talked with Larry about doing it, but he wanted me to book a studio to record it in. I talked to Jenn, but I couldn't come up with anything long distance. This would not be a problem these days, but it was then. It never happened.

Comment

I was stunned by the beauty of that Regina Carter set. And the Willie Nelson set was great too. And one that TBC brass band set. Those were highlights for me. I need to go back to the archive to listen to some of the popular ones that I missed like Ritchie Havens. And I missed all of Saturday (at an in person festival!)

Comment

Originally posted by Staxsun View Post

When the first (official) Patry was coming about, I decided It would be great to have our own cooler message. I talked with Larry about doing it, but he wanted me to book a studio to record it in. I talked to Jenn, but I couldn't come up with anything long distance. This would not be a problem these days, but it was then. It never happened.
                Oh, what a treat that would have been. When OZ played the cooler message this weekend, Ken and I just looked at each other and smiled.

Comment

Listening to Joe Cocker. Love

Comment

Did anybody hear the Booker tribute with Dr. John and Allen Toussaint? I was at that one. It was in the tent they set up for interviews when the grandstand burned down. It was packed for the interview and it was hard to hear where I was. But it was great to hear after all these years. Further evidence that the Jazz and Heritage foundation should broadcast some of their interviews publicly. They have so much rich history in their vaults.

Comment

Originally posted by stynger View Post
                      Did anybody hear the Booker tribute with Dr. John and Allen Toussaint? I was at that one. It was in the tent they set up for interviews when the grandstand burned down. It was packed for the interview and it was hard to hear where I was. But it was great to hear after all these years. Further evidence that the Jazz and Heritage foundation should broadcast some of their interviews publicly. They have so much rich history in their vaults.
                      Too too good. New Orleans icons talking another icon. Mac and Toussaint playing together: Sublime. Loved near the end when the MC asked Allen if he had any other stories, and Toussaint said nothing, simply launched into another Booker tune. Then when the MC said "We're out of time," the duo played one last duet.

Comment

Originally posted by stynger View Post
                        Anybody else scratching their head about the NOJ&HF's relationship with Wolfgang's Vault, other than as a hosted ostensibly-purist music repository? At first I wondered if it was because a lot of NOLA acts were represented by Bay Area management (Rosebud or similar) or because Bill Graham really did have that kind of vision. I can't say the Grateful Dead invented the internet, but every flood/watershed model I'd ever seen in the 80's was run for each iteration and PRINTED - possibly available on a very local hard-wired network. Online databases must've existed for some science/financial/census areas, but the average joe couldn't access any of it. I wonder if the Foundation gave away any rights to hold/archive some of the works for the sake of it being available on a robust online server. My, how things have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by where yat brah View Post
                          Really enjoyed the James Taylor set.
                          I found myself sitting in one place through that show, not wanting to miss anything by getting distracted. Michael Landau... damn!

Comment

I think it was the 1993 Jazz Fest when it poured in the afternoon and I got soaked to the skin. You don't think you are gonna end up shivering at Jazz Fest but a bit of wind came up and I was too cold to stay and, much to my dismay, had to miss James Taylor.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
                              I think it was the 1993 Jazz Fest when it poured in the afternoon and I got soaked to the skin. You don't think you are gonna end up shivering at Jazz Fest but a bit of wind came up and I was too cold to stay and, much to my dismay, had to miss James Taylor.
                              You're just being sarcastic. Clearly. Myself and thousands of others have frozen our little butts off from time to time at the fairgrounds. More often during the first weekend but not exclusively. Being wet just adds to the enjoyment. Characteristically when I visit the event I am prepared like a Sherpa guide. I am ready for everything. Experience is the great teacher.

Comment

I should have come to you first.

Comment

Working...
                                X