Jazz Festing in Place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stynger View Post

It would be nice if they had a show featuring complete sets from Jazz Fest on a regular basis. Even once a week.
    Great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by belyin View Post

Jazz Fest and WWOZ are the two cultural institutions in town who have the resources to bring the wider musical world to our little outpost, and I feel they have a responsibility to do just that.
      Agreed. Not only that, but dig deeper into the local talent pool instead of promoting the same old same old.

Comment

Whither Anders, Fohl, Sansone?
        Looks looks like stupid schedule tricks, Mingus on early after a Dixieland short set?
        Last edited by fesstgeek; 2 weeks ago. Reason: Update

Comment

Originally posted by stynger View Post

It would be nice if they had a show featuring complete sets from Jazz Fest on a regular basis. Even once a week.
          Agreed. Even if it was late at night. Why sit on this treasure trove?

Comment

Originally posted by belyin View Post

I saw Alejandro Escovedo with Rank and File and as solo (both at Tipitinas') and while I don't share your particular enthusiasm as a local I much rather hear non-local artists instead of those who we hear all the time. Jazz Fest and WWOZ are the two cultural institutions in town who have the resources to bring the wider musical world to our little outpost, and I feel they have a responsibility to do just that.
            Yeah I've seen him at least a dozen or so times over the years in various bands in Austin and NYC. I have actually never seen him here in New Orleans. I have all of his albums and have dozens of live shows in my computer. My point was I just wish they'd play complete sets of whoever they feature.

Comment

I wish they'd play complete sets, too. It's frustrating to hear only 3 or 4 songs from a fantastic performance and to be left wondering how the rest of the set went.

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

Agreed. Not only that, but dig deeper into the local talent pool instead of promoting the same old same old.
                I think many of the d.j.'s do have an appreciation of the depth and breadth of the local (and global) music scene, but as an institution WWOZ has wholeheartedly embraced promoting "brand New Orleans." And although I think it has lost a bit of its soul along the way, it certainly has served it well in terms of institutional stability. WWOZ was in crisis in the early 90's. N.O.J.&H.F. had taken over the license in 1986 when a disastrous barge accident knocked down their transmitting antenna, and the cost of getting back up and running was ruinous for the station's independence. The Foundation had only committed to financial support for a fixed period that was running out while Foundation board politics had imposed very poor station management that lead to a volunteer insurrection. That's when community radio veteran David Freedman came on board, and he was far-sighted enough to see the station's future depended on the internet. I believe WWOZ was the first or second station in the nation to move into full time internet streaming. At the same time, Freedman moved to align the station more tightly to the Jazz Fest and became the defacto promotional arm of the fest with an emerging worldwide audience via the net. This assured the Foundation's continued support for the station. Over time, and especially after Katrina, the internet became the prime fund raising source, and reaching this audience shifted the focus outward. What had been a hyper local anchor of the cultural scene and an essential component of the feedback loop of the New Orleans' musical world speaking to (and defining) itself while engaging with the whole wide world of music became the broadcaster New Orleans-ness to the world (while sharing with the Jazz Fest the role of defining the inclusions and exclusions of New Orleans-ness.) How you feel about this I suspect depends on where you sit (or listen.)

Comment

Working...
                X