No announcement yet.

Anyone been to a Zony Mash show?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is rare for me to defend MM and he has gone out on a limb as usual.

But JJ has made several references to the venue or the crowd at it being overly white or words to that effect and then a recent post called it vanilla, without any other reason being put forward as to what these comments mean.
    Not everyone is a mind reader.

And you could tell that they were not in the satirical vein, that many on here like to practice.

So I asked a few born and bred New Orleans locals that I talk with on a regular basis, who have been to the venue several times about this, and they had no idea what JJ was on about when I mentioned his oft repeated comments about the venue being too white to them, which preceded the vanilla one.

So based on the information that I been given from people I know and trust who have been there.

It is Definitely is not obvious as to what JJ was on about from the comments that he made.

Comment

Originally posted by mangochill View Post
      Mormon Matt, you are so pathetically off base, it’s offensive. Your next post should be an apology to jjazz in which you take full blame for being wrong, arrogant and inflammatory. You should also self ban yourself from the board for a Month.

It is so obvious that the “vanilla” was referring to the venue and the scene being “boring”. It’s so clear that “race” was not even a thought in that post. Your misplaced attempt to turn the “vanilla” into a white vs black thing is honestly disgusting and pathetic.

apologize and then Go away.
      Maybe you should take the time to read jjazznj's post #6 on the "Are High Ticket Prices Here To Stay" thread---Along with that little Pearl of Wisdom from just a couple of days ago, over the past few years, jjazznj (alongside a couple of other posters here, all also White as far as I know) has often bemoaned that there are "Too many White people at Jazzfest" and at music events in general on several other occassions, none of which I have any desire to track down. jjazznj is being purposely disingenuous, and has repeatedly mentioned how they feel that N.O. has too many white people diluting the essence of the city. I finally called them on it, and they feebly feigned ignorance.

I don't get it, and to me it seems pretty silly and more than a little hypocritical, but what do I know, as a person who grew up in the 1970's and early 80's in a lily "White" state, in a one of the Whitest and least racially diverse major cities in America (at least at the time, Salt Lake has is a bit more dynamic and has a little color these days) who looked markedly, strikingly, glaringly different from literally each and every one of my childhood school classmates, teachers, neighborhood friends and indeed even my very own family, (my amazing, incredible mother, father and three sisters) virtually all of whom are as "White" as humanly possible.

Somehow, almost all of those White people in my life treated me with love, respect and kindness (with a few exceptions, but kids can be cruel about any differences, fortunately most grow out of it. I am cetainly not claiming to have faced a huge amount of racial discrimination in my life, but I could give you more than a couple stories about being singled out due to my race, it is not something that makes you feel good, I promise) so I guess I have kind of a soft spot in my heart for White people (some more than others) and so when I see an entire race belittled, even by it's own members, it tends to get under my melanin-rich skin.

Like most of you, I have travelled pretty extensively and have been blessed to have had the chance to attend festivals, events and concerts far and wide, in both huge, cosmopolitan, diverse cities and tiny, rural areas alike, and I can honestly say I have never once thought to myself, "Ya know, this show would be about perfect if only there were just more (or less?) members of X,Y,Z race here tonight!!!" but maybe that's just me...

(After writing all of the above, I can't believe that any of that needs to be said here today in 2021. If it were ANY other racial/ethnic group besides Bad Ol' Whitey that posters were openly saying their presence at a show is somehow detrimental and unwelcome, this board would, in unison rightfully decry such narrow minded horseshit in a hot 9th Ward second)
      Last edited by MormonMatthew; 05-01-2021, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Ok, I’m now removing myself from this conversation and will go back to music related matters. Carry on.

Comment

I still don't know whether or not I should go to a Zony Mash show.

Comment

"White man's burden, Lloyd. White man's burden".

Careful or Swag, the Caretaker will take care of this Thread......he's ALWAYS been the caretaker here.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post
              Go on 'Diversity Night'. If you bring along an African American, you get a free White Russian.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post
                  You might get White line fever

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post

Maybe you should take the time to read jjazznj's post #6 on the "Are High Ticket Prices Here To Stay" thread---Along with that little Pearl of Wisdom from just a couple of days ago, over the past few years, jjazznj (alongside a couple of other posters here, all also White as far as I know) has often bemoaned that there are "Too many White people at Jazzfest" and at music events in general on several other occassions, none of which I have any desire to track down. jjazznj is being purposely disingenuous, and has repeatedly mentioned how they feel that N.O. has too many white people diluting the essence of the city. I finally called them on it, and they feebly feigned ignorance.

I don't get it, and to me it seems pretty silly and more than a little hypocritical, but what do I know, as a person who grew up in the 1970's and early 80's in a lily "White" state, in a one of the Whitest and least racially diverse major cities in America (at least at the time, Salt Lake has is a bit more dynamic and has a little color these days) who looked markedly, strikingly, glaringly different from literally each and every one of my childhood school classmates, teachers, neighborhood friends and indeed even my very own family, (my amazing, incredible mother, father and three sisters) virtually all of whom are as "White" as humanly possible.

Somehow, almost all of those White people in my life treated me with love, respect and kindness (with a few exceptions, but kids can be cruel about any differences, fortunately most grow out of it. I am cetainly not claiming to have faced a huge amount of racial discrimination in my life, but I could give you more than a couple stories about being singled out due to my race, it is not something that makes you feel good, I promise) so I guess I have kind of a soft spot in my heart for White people (some more than others) and so when I see an entire race belittled, even by it's own members, it tends to get under my melanin-rich skin.

Like most of you, I have travelled pretty extensively and have been blessed to have had the chance to attend festivals, events and concerts far and wide, in both huge, cosmopolitan, diverse cities and tiny, rural areas alike, and I can honestly say I have never once thought to myself, "Ya know, this show would be about perfect if only there were just more (or less?) members of X,Y,Z race here tonight!!!" but maybe that's just me...

(After writing all of the above, I can't believe that any of that needs to be said here today in 2021. If it were ANY other racial/ethnic group besides Bad Ol' Whitey that posters were openly saying their presence at a show is somehow detrimental and unwelcome, this board would, in unison rightfully decry such narrow minded horseshit in a hot 9th Ward second)
                    My God are you obsessed with me? Let's just get back to discussing music. How about UK Jazz? Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
                      Let's just get back to discussing music.
                      Fine idea, this is the last thing I will say to you, but don't you feel just a little bit ridiculous?

I mean really, an old white person who has lived in New Orleans for about 15 minutes, complaining over & over about how there are too many other old white people at festivals and shows in "Your" city, who when finally told how hypocritical you sound, is caught blatantly lying about ever having done so, when it was pointed out that you last made one of your inane little indignant pouts just 48 hours ago.

Maybe instead of focusing about the racial demographic makeup of the shows you go to, you should instead try to enjoy the music and the feeling of sharing an uplifting musical experience with others. Speaking only for myself, it is my feeling that generally, racial minorities are perfectly capable of choosing our entertainment for ourselves.

Feel free to reply or not, but I am done interacting with you, I don't care for people who prevaricate about their insulting actions instead of owning them and trying to do better.

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post

Fine idea, this is the last thing I will say to you, but don't you feel just a little bit ridiculous?

I mean really, an old white person who has lived in New Orleans for about 15 minutes, complaining over & over about how there are too many other old white people at festivals and shows in "Your" city, who when finally told how hypocritical you sound, is caught blatantly lying about ever having done so, when it was pointed out that you last made one of your inane little indignant pouts just 48 hours ago.

Maybe instead of focusing about the racial demographic makeup of the shows you go to, you should instead try to enjoy the music and the feeling of sharing an uplifting musical experience with others. Speaking only for myself, it is my feeling that generally, racial minorities are perfectly capable of choosing our entertainment for ourselves.

Feel free to reply or not, but I am done interacting with you, I don't care for people who prevaricate about their insulting actions instead of owning them and trying to do better.
                        You are totally clueless. I made one comment about people like me at The Broadside but you say that I constantly talk about race? I've lived in New Orleans for 15 minutes? Try again. You are totally full of it. You do not know me, have never even met me and I sure hope to keep it that way. You are trying to tell me to "enjoy the music and the feeling of sharing an uplifting musical experience"? You sound like a total fool.

Comment

swag-admin I don’t think anyone would miss this thread if you torched it.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

You are totally clueless. I made one comment about people like me at The Broadside but you say that I constantly talk about race? I've lived in New Orleans for 15 minutes? Try again. You are totally full of it. You do not know me, have never even met me and I sure hope to keep it that way. You are trying to tell me to "enjoy the music and the feeling of sharing an uplifting musical experience"? You sound like a total fool.
                            I have no skin in this game and have taken MM to task a couple of time recently about things he has said in posts.
                            Some of which were removed by the Mod, but I see them before that happens due to the time difference.

But to be fair you did make a few comments about the Broadside being too white or whatever in other posts, that preceded your vanilla gaffe.
                            And that is a fact.

Comment

I swear, (speaking both as a human being, and as a Native American) I can't understand the obsession over race that some still have here in 2021.

Anyone, regardless of race, color or creed is perfectly able and welcome to go to a place like Tipitinas to hear a blue-eyed, blonde-haired Swede like Anders Osborne, and absolutely no one will blink an eye. 2021's New Orleans is NOT 1970's South Africa.

If "People of Color" (or Left-Handed Druids) don't seem more interested in musical entertainment like that (or Justin Bieber, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan or The Osmond Family AllStar Funk Revival) I trust they have their own personal reasons for that, such as lack of appeal, lack of awareness or simply feeling like they want to spend their hard earned disposable income on something else.

It certainly works the other way, there are many venues and artists (some who play Jazzfest each year) who are primarilary associated with an African American audience, but I know that people of any race are typically welcome, at least if they know how to conduct themselves appropriately.

Paternal infantilization of minorities is incredibly insulting and in my opinion, racist. Let adults think for themselves, they don't need your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post
                                swag-admin I don’t think anyone would miss this thread if you torched it.
                                +1

Comment

Working...
                                X