Allmän Betts Band/ Tab Benoit/ Samantha Fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allmän Betts Band/ Tab Benoit/ Samantha Fish

Allman Betts, Tab Benoit and Samantha Fish at The Fillmore in NOLA on October 8! Tickets on sell April 30 (I think, better check). Don't know how much yet. Bet it's a bunch. Great lineup, but I wish it were outside and that I could go.

Originally posted by Kemp View Post
    Allman Betts, Tab Benoit and Samantha Fish at The Fillmore in NOLA on October 8! Tickets on sell April 30 (I think, better check). Don't know how much yet. Bet it's a bunch. Great lineup, but I wish it were outside and that I could go.
    Interesting pronunciation of Allman. Don't know where that came from.

Comment

oops...didn't see this had already been posted in another thread. Excuse the ramblings of an old man.

Comment

So they are gonna try this same lineup again. I had tix but got a refund. I guess I'll re-buy(is that a word?) some tix.

Comment

It looks like plenty of people held onto their tickets; logged in at 10:00 for the presale and there weren't two seats together in the entire seated area (too damn old to stand for hours on end, especially after a day at the Fairgrounds). Oh well....

Comment

Interesting pronunciation of Allman. Don't know where that came from.
            The Allmehn Betts Band?

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post

The Allmehn Betts Band?
              Hey, I’m a sophisticated kind of guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post

The Allmehn Betts Band?
                I saw them at The HOB when they first came out and they were surprisingly very good although they played mostly old songs. That last album which they said they worked so hard on was not very good to say the least. They can play well but cannot seem to write any very good songs plus Devon is not all that great a singer.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

I saw them at The HOB when they first came out and they were surprisingly very good although they played mostly old songs. That last album which they said they worked so hard on was not very good to say the least. They can play well but cannot seem to write any very good songs plus Devon is not all that great a singer.
                  I quite enjoyed them at CCBBQ a few years ago. Devon has written some good songs for his own solo albums and I love his voice. Yeah, they, like TTB and others, do a lot of covers, but they breathe new life into them and do some impressive jamming. Their take on Tom Petty's "Southern Accents" is pretty much a straight copy (Devon has a richer voice than Tom's) but it works and moves me.

Comment

I quite enjoyed them at CCBBQ a few years ago. Devon has written some good songs for his own solo albums and I love his voice. Yeah, they, like TTB and others, do a lot of covers, but they breathe new life into them and do some impressive jamming. Their take on Tom Petty's "Southern Accents" is pretty much a straight copy (Devon has a richer voice than Tom's) but it works and moves me.
                    I enjoyed them at the Square, as well, more than I thought I would. I thought they did a good job mixing well played versions of ABB tunes with their own.

Comment

They were doing that great RSB tune "Left My Heart in Memphis" but dropped it from their sets after that first tour. Not sure why. Most of the covers they did when I saw them were ABB songs which they played well. Not into their covers of "Purple Rain" or "Shakedown Street".

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

They were doing that great RSB tune "Left My Heart in Memphis" but dropped it from their sets after that first tour. Not sure why. Most of the covers they did when I saw them were ABB songs which they played well. Not into their covers of "Purple Rain" or "Shakedown Street".
                        I'm not into anyone's coverage of those tunes nor am I too fond of the originals. Prince and The Dead both did far better tunes than those.

Comment

I'm not into anyone's coverage of those tunes nor am I too fond of the originals. Prince and The Dead both did far better tunes than those.
                          I cringe whenever I hear anyone cover Purple Rain although it was cool hearing Springsteen play it live the day after Prince, my favorite alltime artist passed. He also played Rebel Rebel when Bowie passed. Clapton does a really lame version of Purple Rain. It's not like Prince doesn't have any other good songs to cover.

When The Dead put out "Shakedown Street" I started to lose interest.

Comment

Studio version of Shakedown Street is lame, but it became a monster live.

Check out this version from 83. Play LOUD !!
                            Grateful Dead Live at Dane County Coliseum on 1983-06-24 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
                              Studio version of Shakedown Street is lame, but it became a monster live.

Check out this version from 83. Play LOUD !!
                              Grateful Dead Live at Dane County Coliseum on 1983-06-24 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
                              Absolutely. Shakedown opener always portended a great show in my experience. Feeling that first chord go right through you was electric.

Also loved seeing Prince play “Purple Rain,” agree that Springsteen’s homage was cool and that Clapton’s cover is nauseating.

I think we’ve had this discussion here before, but Prince is definitely on my list for consideration as the best “five-tool player” of musicians, ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X