Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dead and Company rumors...Oct 9th Jazz Fest

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    It's a matter of taste, I suppose. Personally, I don't like Mayer's singing style. I find an affectation there that annoys me. And he can definitely play but I find he lacks what some of the other "Jerrys" do, as well, Warren Haynes in particular, a penchant for notes instead of ideas. When the Dead would head into the jam section of "Playing In The Band," it was like they collectively took a deep breath and stepped off into the unknown. Pretty quickly, they had separated themselves from the song into a new zone, usually led by Jerry or Phil, with a different emotional as well as musical context. That is partly why it was so mindblowing when they would return to the song to finish it....they had been somewhere else in a major way. I don't find Meyer capable of that in the way Garcia was and Kimock and Kadlecik are.

    And there is the tempo thing Weir does. Some songs need the drive from the tempo they were done in originally and slowing them down does them no good at all. It also seems to me the drummers kinda just slap away, no real drive from them these days either. It's a long way from "Alligator." (I have enjoyed the Drums segments.)

    I will admit enjoying some of the webcasts they broadcast during the pandemic that I would switch to after Jorma's Saturday evening webcasts as that helped change my opinion about Oteil in the and. As good as he is, I initially found a big hole in the bottom end with no Phil and it felt like a jeep with a flat tire to me. Hearing him with headphones showed he was doing a good job, it's just that no one plays like Phil or has his tone and that is central to the sound in my mind.

    So, this cranky old Deadhead which I admit to being, has very mixed feelings about Dead and Co. I am not saying they suck, it's just my feelings about it from my own experience going back to Fillmore West. I guess I set a high bar. All that being said, I would go see them at Jazz Fest just to hear that music out at the Fairgrounds.
    Last edited by chopitulas; 3 weeks ago.

    Comment


    • #32
      A friend who pulled up in his new ""company"" Tesla last night asked if we were planning to go to the "rich hippie" shows, AKA Dead & Co. We laughed and laughed.

      Comment


      • #33
        Good points by duende and Chop regarding Mayer. I'll be out there, celebrating the music by one of my favorite bands with some of the original guys. When you can't get steak, a hamburger will do.

        Comment


        • #34
          I'm with you on Kadlechik who is brilliant - the only other replacement that would have made sense was David Hidalgo who could not have broken up the great Los Lobos....

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by cp_deb View Post
            A friend who pulled up in his new ""company"" Tesla last night asked if we were planning to go to the "rich hippie" shows, AKA Dead & Co. We laughed and laughed.
            “We laughed and laughed and then bought tickets to the show.” - that is how my friends and I would have finished that sentence. I’ve seen the Dead and its many incarnations numerous times over the past three decades and will be lining up to see Dead & Co if they play Jazzfest. But here’s the thing, i loath all the Dead inspired jam bands that seem to have taken over the night shows during JazzFest. There is so much great music happening those two weeks, I don’t see the point to limit myself to those shows. Variety is the spice of life for me and your mileage may vary.

            Comment


            • #36
              I received the invitation from our beloved friends at Ticketmaster to sign up for early opportunities to purchase tickets for the Dead and Company. I had decided that I was not interested so I never bothered to reply. Yesterday, just out of curiosity, after public sales opened up, I was checking some of the ticket prices at various locations and seating sections. I was astounded at the prices that I was seeing. Understanding that Ticketmaster now allows resellers on their site and willingly provides them with the opportunity to jerk us around even more than "momma-master" does, has any one here actually purchased tickets or know someone who has and what they paid? It is just a curiosity thing. It seemed like the "pit" areas were not too bad but for seats in just average locations, I was seeing sellers asking hundreds and hundreds of dollars. Ouch!

              Comment


              • #37
                I'm mostly done with overpriced stadium shows unless it is someone I HAVE to see ( Genesis, Radiohead and a few others ). Lucky I got to see most of my favorites when tiks were $30 or less. I'm still down with clubs and theatre shows. Saw Bob Mould was touring. I'd be all over that one.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by 20/20 View Post
                  I received the invitation from our beloved friends at Ticketmaster to sign up for early opportunities to purchase tickets for the Dead and Company. I had decided that I was not interested so I never bothered to reply. Yesterday, just out of curiosity, after public sales opened up, I was checking some of the ticket prices at various locations and seating sections. I was astounded at the prices that I was seeing. Understanding that Ticketmaster now allows resellers on their site and willingly provides them with the opportunity to jerk us around even more than "momma-master" does, has any one here actually purchased tickets or know someone who has and what they paid? It is just a curiosity thing. It seemed like the "pit" areas were not too bad but for seats in just average locations, I was seeing sellers asking hundreds and hundreds of dollars. Ouch!
                  Yes it’s complete BS that they sale tickets before they actually go on sale to the public.

                  lawn at the Woodlands were $51 bucks before fees...total $79.64...and my only choice was a mobile ticket.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
                    I'm mostly done with overpriced stadium shows unless it is someone I HAVE to see ( Genesis, Radiohead and a few others ). Lucky I got to see most of my favorites when tiks were $30 or less. I'm still down with clubs and theatre shows. Saw Bob Mould was touring. I'd be all over that one.
                    I'd be so happy if Bob Mould came to town. I still crank Husker Du and Sugar once in a while.

                    Are there even that many stadium shows anymore? I mean pre-COVID.

                    Speaking of Radiohead: https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...ject-the-smile
                    Last edited by jjazznj; 3 weeks ago.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
                      It's a matter of taste, I suppose. Personally, I don't like Mayer's singing style. I find an affectation there that annoys me. And he can definitely play but I find he lacks what some of the other "Jerrys" do, as well, Warren Haynes in particular, a penchant for notes instead of ideas. When the Dead would head into the jam section of "Playing In The Band," it was like they collectively took a deep breath and stepped off into the unknown. Pretty quickly, they had separated themselves from the song into a new zone, usually led by Jerry or Phil, with a different emotional as well as musical context. That is partly why it was so mindblowing when they would return to the song to finish it....they had been somewhere else in a major way. I don't find Meyer capable of that in the way Garcia was and Kimock and Kadlecik are.

                      And there is the tempo thing Weir does. Some songs need the drive from the tempo they were done in originally and slowing them down does them no good at all. It also seems to me the drummers kinda just slap away, no real drive from them these days either. It's a long way from "Alligator." (I have enjoyed the Drums segments.)

                      I will admit enjoying some of the webcasts they broadcast during the pandemic that I would switch to after Jorma's Saturday evening webcasts as that helped change my opinion about Oteil in the and. As good as he is, I initially found a big hole in the bottom end with no Phil and it felt like a jeep with a flat tire to me. Hearing him with headphones showed he was doing a good job, it's just that no one plays like Phil or has his tone and that is central to the sound in my mind.

                      So, this cranky old Deadhead which I admit to being, has very mixed feelings about Dead and Co. I am not saying they suck, it's just my feelings about it from my own experience going back to Fillmore West. I guess I set a high bar. All that being said, I would go see them at Jazz Fest just to hear that music out at the Fairgrounds.
                      I agree with all of this. I'd check them out if they played the Fest but would have no desire to go to one of their shows. Mayer is a good player but to me his singing with this group does not at all fit in. Neither does his playing most of what I've heard.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

                        I'd be so happy if Bob Mould came to town.

                        Not to raise any hopes, but his schedule is open between Austin TX on October 6 and Bloomington IL on the 15. You'd think Tipitina's would want him if the Fest doesn't.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by jpstacy2001 View Post

                          “We laughed and laughed and then bought tickets to the show.” - that is how my friends and I would have finished that sentence. I’ve seen the Dead and its many incarnations numerous times over the past three decades and will be lining up to see Dead & Co if they play Jazzfest. But here’s the thing, i loath all the Dead inspired jam bands that seem to have taken over the night shows during JazzFest. There is so much great music happening those two weeks, I don’t see the point to limit myself to those shows. Variety is the spice of life for me and your mileage may vary.
                          I hear you but have to say we really enjoyed Joan Osborne singing with members of the Dark Star Orchestra a few years back. Enhanced by the "Special Brownies" sold at a table by locals prior to the show - made for a very special evening. Also the 7 Walkers show at the old Scottish Rites Temple was highly memorable - incredible light show enhanced by a friend's " special brownies" as well ......

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by BrettM View Post


                            Not to raise any hopes, but his schedule is open between Austin TX on October 6 and Bloomington IL on the 15. You'd think Tipitina's would want him if the Fest doesn't.
                            I'd go see him in Austin except that is already a busy week here in NOLA. I'm just ready for some aggressive, rockin' music.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              I'm much more optimistic about a Dead & Co show in the middle of a tour vs. the one off we were getting in April 2020. Tempos should be much faster by then and they'll have had some time to work out kinks/shake off rust. Hoping a Dead & Co day show brings a billy and the kids night show - the recent few shows with Billy Strings were amazing.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by garntd View Post
                                I'm much more optimistic about a Dead & Co show in the middle of a tour vs. the one off we were getting in April 2020. Tempos should be much faster by then and they'll have had some time to work out kinks/shake off rust. Hoping a Dead & Co day show brings a billy and the kids night show - the recent few shows with Billy Strings were amazing.
                                Billy Strings might not be in town during JF. He has two shows coming up in New Orleans Nov.30/Dec.1. Venue TBD
                                Dec. 2,3,4 in Texas including Houston.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X