2021 Headliner Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Canine Horror View Post

Ha, for a while I was thinking "Biggus Dickus" was ole Tuggs too!
    Lol. I’m an original. In Rəm. What? H’rome.

Comment

What Rock (pop) Star has an album coming out July 16th, and will already be at Jazzfest first weekend playing with his alter ego band?

I would love to see him headline one night!

Comment

Originally posted by JasperJohns View Post
        What Rock (pop) Star has an album coming out July 16th, and will already be at Jazzfest first weekend playing with his alter ego band?

I would love to see him headline one night!

Mayer? I think he's only doing the Dead & Co tour, but who knows...

Comment

Originally posted by BrettM View Post

Mayer? I think he's only doing the Dead & Co tour, but who knows...
          As you say, who knows... He is young and (self proclaimed) virile - probably has the energy to pull it off!

How about the superfecta? (A variation of the perfecta on which a bettor must select the first four finishers of a race in the correct order of finish in order to win.)

Dead & Co
          John Mayer
          Wolf Bros
          Billy and the Kids (with kid Billy Strings I would hope)

Comment

As you say, who knows... He is young and (self proclaimed) virile - probably has the energy to pull it off!

How about the superfecta? (A variation of the perfecta on which a bettor must select the first four finishers of a race in the correct order of finish in order to win.)

Dead & Co
            John Mayer
            Wolf Bros
            Billy and the Kids (with kid Billy Strings I would hope)

I love The Dead and have no desire to see any of those acts. The Wolf Bros couldn't be more boring if they tried. If I had to see a Dead cover band I'd go see Dead Feat but even that got old fast years back.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

I love The Dead and have no desire to see any of those acts. The Wolf Bros couldn't be more boring if they tried. If I had to see a Dead cover band I'd go see Dead Feat but even that got old fast years back.
              Agree with all of this, except I do like JRAD a lot. Do they do anything for you?

Comment

JRAD > Slow And Co. That would make for a glorious afternoon at the track!

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post

Agree with all of this, except I do like JRAD a lot. Do they do anything for you?
                  I know that you've no interest in my opinion. Too bad. Of the groups mentioned above, I find JRAD to be the most entertaining. I go to see if convenient but I also skip some of the shows. Still the best of the lot IMO. I've tired of the Dead knock-offs, especially the ones who really work at replicating the Dead. Weir probably the most representative of that syndrome. I like Billy Strings and would go to see him.

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post

I know that you've no interest in my opinion. Too bad. Of the groups mentioned above, I find JRAD to be the most entertaining. I go to see if convenient but I also skip some of the shows. Still the best of the lot IMO. I've tired of the Dead knock-offs, especially the ones who really work at replicating the Dead. Weir probably the most representative of that syndrome. I like Billy Strings and would go to see him.
                    OK, let's agree: Yes on Billy Strings. Although he has been entering the psychedelic grass (OMG Dead covers!) world recently. We like it, and are continually astounded with his evolution. Go Billy! Fox in Oakland and Stateline Nevada in September. 9/9, 9/10, 9/11, 9/12. All of them may be too much, we'll see.

JRAD: We are going to the Frost Amphitheater show 10/23. My guess is they will add a Fox / Warfield / Fillmore show while in town. Please. JRAD is #1 dead cover band.

Dead and Co: Have now see them 10 ish times, including all of the Mexico shows. I try to understand the negativity, but as somebody who never saw the Dead actual Dead, I think Dead and Co is fantastic. I am also of the camp that "Bobby has the cred to do whatever the F he wants." More power to him, I want him to keep going with any energy he wants to apply to the endeavor. I certainly do not think he cares what you me or anybody thinks. Good.

Jerry's Middle Finger is our current favorite, as they have started playing 'safe' shows that we continue to enjoy. JGB cover band, and we are enjoying JGB.

Wolf Brothers: see my above comment, "Bobby has the cred to do whatever the F he wants." Livestream tonight! https://www.jambase.com/livestreams/...-bros-20210608 only 19.99 which imho why not?

Grateful Shred - fun, Golden Gate Wingmen - awesome

Back on topic: Would love to see Billy Strings as a headliner or something close. There are lots of stages, he would fit nicely on one of the main ones to end the day.

Comment

Keep an eye out for Zach Nugent, formerly "the Jerry" with Melvin Seals and JGB, now building his own thing from home base in VT. He recreated Hartford 77 in Burlington last week with "Dead Set," (whoever that is these days) but I expect to see him expanding his playing dates and options soon. Head and shoulders above the rest. If you're near VT, catch him at Stowe Cider or Zen Barn - totally worth the trip.

Comment

OK, let's agree: Yes on Billy Strings. Although he has been entering the psychedelic grass (OMG Dead covers!) world recently. We like it, and are continually astounded with his evolution. Go Billy! Fox in Oakland and Stateline Nevada in September. 9/9, 9/10, 9/11, 9/12. All of them may be too much, we'll see.

JRAD: We are going to the Frost Amphitheater show 10/23. My guess is they will add a Fox / Warfield / Fillmore show while in town. Please. JRAD is #1 dead cover band.

Dead and Co: Have now see them 10 ish times, including all of the Mexico shows. I try to understand the negativity, but as somebody who never saw the Dead actual Dead, I think Dead and Co is fantastic. I am also of the camp that "Bobby has the cred to do whatever the F he wants." More power to him, I want him to keep going with any energy he wants to apply to the endeavor. I certainly do not think he cares what you me or anybody thinks. Good.

Jerry's Middle Finger is our current favorite, as they have started playing 'safe' shows that we continue to enjoy. JGB cover band, and we are enjoying JGB.

Wolf Brothers: see my above comment, "Bobby has the cred to do whatever the F he wants." Livestream tonight! https://www.jambase.com/livestreams/...-bros-20210608 only 19.99 which imho why not?

Grateful Shred - fun, Golden Gate Wingmen - awesome

Back on topic: Would love to see Billy Strings as a headliner or something close. There are lots of stages, he would fit nicely on one of the main ones to end the day.
                        Nice review. All good.

Comment

The recent Billy Strings - Billy Kreutzman collaboration produced by Relix and shown on YouTube is worth checking out. Filmed outdoors in Hawaii during Covid (no visible audience) - they really get after it...

Comment

I've never seen them. Not something I'd go see during Jazz Fest. Too much other stuff I'd rather see. Maybe if they came here mid-summer when there's nothing else going on. I saw The Dead a few times in their heyday. No Jerry, no Dead for me. I do like when bands cover a song or two though like Los Lobos or Dwight Yoakam but a whole set?

Comment

Bo Diddley

Comment

Originally posted by seaweed View Post

Keep an eye out for Zach Nugent, formerly "the Jerry" with Melvin Seals and JGB, now building his own thing from home base in VT. He recreated Hartford 77 in Burlington last week with "Dead Set," (whoever that is these days) but I expect to see him expanding his playing dates and options soon. Head and shoulders above the rest. If you're near VT, catch him at Stowe Cider or Zen Barn - totally worth the trip.
                                Thanks for the heads up. Will keep an eye out for him.

Comment

Working...
                                X