2021 Headliner Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

I've never seen them. Not something I'd go see during Jazz Fest. Too much other stuff I'd rather see. Maybe if they came here mid-summer when there's nothing else going on. I saw The Dead a few times in their heyday. No Jerry, no Dead for me. I do like when bands cover a song or two though like Los Lobos or Dwight Yoakam but a whole set?
    Yeah, I wouldn't see them during Fest either because I have plenty of opportunities to see them otherwise (including twice two weeks ago, and they are playing six more shows locally in the next two months). I am not suggesting that they are a Grateful Dead substitute, and Tom Hamilton, the "Jerry" in the band, is actually the least interesting to me. But in a weird way that takes my focus off the Jerry parts and frees me up to enjoy all the others. Their approach to the music is unique and more exciting than anything I have heard in that realm since Jerry died. And as someone who was never much of a Bobby fan, I find myself having a fresh appreciation for a lot of his songs because I like the way Scott Metzger delivers them better. But Joe is steering the ship and he is great, and the interplay between him and Marco really drives the music. I think you might enjoy it.

Comment

While I am always happy to read any discussion about music here on the good ol' board, for me personally, talk about who is the best Grateful Dead cover band playing during the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival is as bizarre and puzzling (in an interesting, amusing way) as reading people's opinions on their favorite non-alcoholic Tequila distilled in Sri Lanka or debating the best veggie Carne Asada in Helsinki...
      Last edited by MormonMatthew; 3 days ago.

Comment

...of course WTF do I know, I have spent the last couple of days happily binge listening to Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin and Jackie Wilson here in Krakow, (all while drinking cheap, imported Czech beer) a city not exactly synonymous with Soul/Motown music...
        Last edited by MormonMatthew; 3 days ago.

Comment

A certain Mormon wrote:
          ...reading people's opinions on their favorite non-alcoholic Tequila distilled in Sri Lanka or debating the best veggie Carne Asada in Helsinki...
          I am unanimous when I say, my opinion is what matters most to me. And my opinion is: Nothing beats chilled shots of Sri Lanka's non-alcohlic 'NO-Quila' tequila substitute. Especially while lounging in the surf, dodging plastic pellets and dead sea critters. Ahhhh... Good Times!

I have yet to visit fair Helsinki, also known as 'The Mexico City of Finlandia'. But: the veggie carne asada I got from room service at the Grand Duke Alexis hostel in nearby St. Petersburg was a disappointment. It was tough as old shoe leather! I should know: I've eaten many a shoe as a result of lost wagers...

The worst was that time on Bourbon Street, when I bet someone that they couldn't possibly know "where I got my shoes." Took me three daze to get over that incident. Although, I admit it would have gone down a lot easier with a Huge Ass Beer. Or two. Even a Hurricane... Good thing there was some 'rain' in the gutter.

Alas, I learned a lesson that evening. And that reminds me of another incident: I needed to find the coolist pair of shoes - shit! I buy it even if it doesn"t look good on me you KNOW WHAY?... iI had somdthing else to so and this lady walks in... and please me now because I will ask for what I want and .....H3 to

Comment

Originally posted by freebo View Post
            A certain Mormon wrote:

I am unanimous when I say, my opinion is what matters most to me. And my opinion is: Nothing beats chilled shots of Sri Lanka's non-alcohlic 'NO-Quila' tequila substitute. Especially while lounging in the surf, dodging plastic pellets and dead sea critters. Ahhhh... Good Times!

I have yet to visit fair Helsinki, also known as 'The Mexico City of Finlandia'. But: the veggie carne asada I got from room service at the Grand Duke Alexis hostel in nearby St. Petersburg was a disappointment. It was tough as old shoe leather! I should know: I've eaten many a shoe as a result of lost wagers...

The worst was that time on Bourbon Street, when I bet someone that they couldn't possibly know "where I got my shoes." Took me three daze to get over that incident. Although, I admit it would have gone down a lot easier with a Huge Ass Beer. Or two. Even a Hurricane... Good thing there was some 'rain' in the gutter.

Alas, I learned a lesson that evening. And that reminds me of another incident: I needed to find the coolist pair of shoes - shit! I buy it even if it doesn"t look good on me you KNOW WHAY?... iI had somdthing else to so and this lady walks in... and please me now because I will ask for what I want and .....H3 to
            Was this before or after the cab took you to the cemetery and you jumped out and ran to the show and realized that you hadn't spilled your drink?

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post
              While I am always happy to read any discussion about music here on the good ol' board, for me personally, talk about who is the best Grateful Dead cover band playing during the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival is as bizarre and puzzling (in an interesting, amusing way) as reading people's opinions on their favorite non-alcoholic Tequila distilled in Sri Lanka or debating the best veggie Carne Asada in Helsinki...
              The proliferation of Grateful Dead cover bands has become an essential element of the underground economy in hallucinogens, thereby providing support for the untold numbers of widows and orphans who tirelessly and selflessly labor in the industry. Hence, an all Grateful Dead cover band Jazz Fest would be a great humanitarian, if not musical, achievement.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post

Was this before or after the cab took you to the cemetery and you jumped out and ran to the show and realized that you hadn't spilled your drink?
                During

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post

Almost time for Lit to track that thread down and bump it.

Comment

Originally posted by halley8 View Post

high probability of a TornandFrayed alias
                    Ha. No, actually could have sworn this was my handle from way back on the old boards, but maybe not. First time heading back down in many years so thought I'd rejoin. Anyway, yes Phish a long shot, but have heard some speculation. Hopeful wook thinking I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by fishcough View Post

Ha. No, actually could have sworn this was my handle from way back on the old boards, but maybe not. First time heading back down in many years so thought I'd rejoin. Anyway, yes Phish a long shot, but have heard some speculation. Hopeful wook thinking I'm sure.
                      I remember a fishlips.
                      Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post

I remember a fishlips.
                        Hmm. Nope, wouldn't have been me. (this handle comes from a 2 word Snapple top where I learned something new). Thanks for keeping it going, by the way. Always fun to read.

Comment

Tedeschi Trucks residency at Beacon Theater NYC (including a night with Anders Osborne opening) is 9/30-10/9 then the next gig is like November 10. Might swing down this way for the following weekend after Beacon run???

Comment

Any speculation of sprinkling in artists that would have been lined-up for 2021, as well as the 2020 fest? I know this would have been 25th anniversary for Phish showing up…

Comment

Bruce will wrap up his latest Broadway run in early September. Would be nice to have him back solo.

Comment

Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post
                                Tedeschi Trucks residency at Beacon Theater NYC (including a night with Anders Osborne opening) is 9/30-10/9 then the next gig is like November 10. Might swing down this way for the following weekend after Beacon run???
                                I saw that wondered that as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X