2021 Poster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lit View Post
    So how about this query: which one Fest poster that you own is your favorite; and which one Congo Square poster that you own is your favorite?

I've got to go with the Louis '95 with the Blue Dog, even though it became cliche, and even though the 2001 Louis captures his essence better imo. Something about it being my first Fest and that image being so iconic keeps it tops among my Fest posters.

As for Congo Square, the 2001 poster hands down, which may well be my favorite poster overall because it really pops, the framing job was tremendous, and it occupies a prime spot on my walls. Really love the striking dimensions, colors and image:

My favorite poster overall, as well. Also my first JF and the first poster that I ever bought.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
      The 2008 with Irma is a favorite of mine, nicely framed in my living room. It marks my return to NOLA after Katrina and it was a special Fest for me being as I got to be a backstage guest on the Acura Stage because my friend played for Kit Carson who opened there. (They did run us off at the end for Robert Plant's set, for some reason.)
      Same here Re:Irma. I have several others but the Irma one is my absolute favorite. She’s framed and hanging above my record player table right now, and visitors always remark on how pretty the poster is.

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post
        But that '01 is a close second, and as a standalone work of art may be my favorite. Oddly, I think it's the least Jazzfest-y of any of the posters. It doesn't show a musician, or a dancer, or the city. If you took away the words (which are subtle anyway), you wouldn't know it was a fest poster at all. But it's beautiful.
        I’ve thought a lot about this comment, including time spent—like now—staring at it because it is in my line of sight in the place where I spend most of my time at home (the recliner).

I think I simultaneously agree and disagree with it. I agree for the reasons you mention; and especially because the image is a solo image and my other Congo Square posters are communal ones showing celebratory dance.

But I disagree because I think this one gets closer to the marrow of what ultimately enchants each one of us about Fest and New Orleans. It is a plaintive and howling soul being healed, by the power of music I presume. Like the folks who started it all back at the original Congo Square. Or at least that’s what I see in it.

And I think the fact that so many of us are drawn to it as a work of art in its own right is testament to that. That means it moves you. And that’s what Fest does.

Comment

Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post

Same here Re:Irma. I have several others but the Irma one is my absolute favorite. She’s framed and hanging above my record player table right now, and visitors always remark on how pretty the poster is.
          My wife said" all our posters are men. We are getting this one." No complaints here, our walls were getting filled and was glad to have another. Nothing since except the cool Uncle Lionel

Comment

Art4now wasted no time capitalizing on the announcement today.

Via email:

THE 2021 JAZZ FEST HAS BEEN CANCELED.
            NO JAZZ FEST MAKES THE POSTER MORE COLLECTIBLE.

Crazy, right? Not been there; Don't get to do dat. Again.
            But great design & a half-century of history marches on.
            The 2021 Festival has been canceled, but the Poster's proud lineage dances on.

THE POSTER IS FESTIVAL JOY.

We've created another great silkscreen print that can only be seen if you own it. If you don't love it, we'll take it back.*

If history repeats, this Poster will become one of the most collected - and not just because it was done by the great Scott Guion. Last year's poster sold out within days of Jazz Fest's cancellation and soared in value in the secondary market.

Don't miss out on your chance to own a piece of history...again!

Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Heh. I ordered a 2020 poster and never got it. Maybe I should try again.

Comment

Working...
              X